Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation, please (750, 3.6, B2B Sales-Technology)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation, please (750, 3.6, B2B Sales-Technology) [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 12:18
Hi Team:

Please evaluate my profile and provide me with critical feedback.
Work experience: 4 years, of which 6 months in consulting (erstwhile Monitor) and rest in Test & Measurement B2B Sales (business development role with a revenue target)
GMAT: 750 (Q:50, V:41), AWA: 4, IR: 8, TOEFL: 112
Extra curricular: very active in the start-up circle: regular interactions with technology start-ups, guiding tech start-ups to break-even
Education: B.E. from a top-10 engineering institution in India (non IIT)...scholarship and diverse volunteer experience, CGPA aroung 3.6-3.7

My target schools are: Tuck, Kellogg, Duke, Cornell, Yale, Darden

A nagging query I have is: as a non-native speaker how do I mitigate this AWA score? should I give GMAT again? and whether this score is a deal-breaker at my target schools. This is a riding concern as I received a Fuqua ding earlier and have been evaluating/introspecting the reasons for that ding.

Your thoughts/insights would be really appreciated

thanks and regards
Ghorkalyug
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: HBS '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation, please (750, 3.6, B2B Sales-Technology) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 12:55
Expert's post
Hello,

Overall I feel you are in a good position with your target schools. You have a strong GMAT score and a solid university track-record.

One thing that I would want to better understand is why you only spent 6 months at Monitor. The admissions committee looks for an explanation for a short professional engagement like this. Furthermore, you’ll increase your chances if you’re able to show strong progression and leadership experience while at your start-up. In addition to sales what other business experience did you receive and were you in the position to manage others or be part of any strategic initiatives?

In terms of your question on the AWA, since your score is high on the GMAT all around, I don’t think that you necessarily need to retake the test. However, you should address this weakness proactively. If you can fit it in, I would recommend taking a supplemental class that involves English language skills. If you can invest the time and score highly, this could counterbalance your AWA score.

You can also off-set this weakness by creating very strong, eloquent and flawless essays. At MBA prep school we advise a lot of clients who are non-native English speakers, so let me know if you’re interested in hearing more about our services.

Best,
Krista

If you find my response/post useful then please give it kudos!

Krista Nylen
MBA Prep School
San Francisco, CA

Re: Profile evaluation, please (750, 3.6, B2B Sales-Technology)   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2013, 12:55