Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation, please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation, please! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 16:12
I'd appreciate it if you guys can evaluate my profile.

Age - 30
Gender - Male
Nationality - Indian

Education/GPA: PhD - 4.00; MS - 3.50; BS - 3.75
All 3 degrees in Chemical Engineering
BS is from a non-IIT but a very good school in India
MS & PhD are from really good US Universities.
I have lots of journal publications, presentations in global conferences and a pending patent.

GMAT - Taking it next month but I've been getting 730-770 consistently in the prep exams. So I'm fairly confident that my real GMAT score would be in the same range as above.

Work Experience - 3 years as a process engineer in an US semiconductor company. The plant I was working in was recently shut down. All 1000+ employees lost our jobs. I was on the shortlist for a managerial position just before the announcement of shut down but did not get the promotion. I did have couple of glowing annual performance reviews from my manager while I was employed. I've been unemployed for the past couple of months. I might have a job offer in couple of weeks from one of the 2 companies I recently interviewed with.

Extracurricular activities: I was actively involved with church organizations during both my MS & PhD programs in visiting and helping out old people in nursing homes and kids in orphanages and inner city schools (I haven't had the time to get involved after I started working full-time). Involved with student organizations during all 3 of my college degrees. Hiking, traveling, photography and writing are my passions. Played intramural sports - soccer, baseball, ultimate frisbee, flag football - during my college days. Captained couple of the teams.

Objectives: I have always been innovative. My PhD work involved making an alternate fuel in a fast and cost-effective manner (pending patent) than the current market methods. In fact, from the knowledge obtained from my PhD work, I designed and developed a home-made reactor to produce the alternate fuel in one of my colleagues' garage. He uses the fuel produced in the reactor in his garage to heat his house and also uses it to run a diesel car. Coming to my objectives, I want to use my scientific knowledge and the knowledge gained from B-School and be involved with the booming energy sector (Work as a strategic consultant in a big firm). Also, sometime in the future I want to start my own alternate fuel company.

I know I fall into the most common demographic - Indian, Male, Engineer. But I would hope that me being a non-IT professional (Chemical Engineer) and having a PhD with journal publications and presentations should make me stand out a little bit.

Like most people, I'm targeting the best of the best schools: HBS, Kellogg, Wharton, Chicago, MIT, Tuck, INSEAD, ISB, LSB, etc.

What are my chances?

Many thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation, please! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 16:39
I forgot to mention couple of things:

- I'm targeting admissions for 2011.
- One of the projects that I was working on in my company got really good press from the State Department of Energy Conservation. My project was featured on a few articles both on their website as well as their print materials. Even my company headquarters profiled me and my project in our annual engineering report.
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation, please! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 01:54
My 2 cents

You did not mention about any leadership experiences as part of your 3 yrs WE.No idea about ISB and LSB but all the other schools are in top 10 and look for leadership potential.You need not necessarily show it as part of your WE.You can show it in your ECs. Leading sports teams,organizing Rangoli is something every Indian talks about in the app.So that will not distinguish you.

Also the Phd might be a baggage and it might sound that you want to collect degrees.I would suggest that you change your selection to schools ranked 8-20 and also consider part-time programs.

Post this profile in the Admission Consultants section.You can get professional feedback.

ask-accepted-com-24/
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation, please! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 07:29
Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry that I missed posting some of my leadership experiences in my original post.

Leadership:

I have successfully mentored couple of interns and helped them with organizing and executing their internship work by developing a road-map and having frequent meetings, etc.

I've led many projects which involved cross-functioning with other departments in the company that saved the plant $$$$$$s

Being an avid hiker, I have lead many group hiking activities. This might sound cheesy, but during one of the trips I single-handedly saved a friend from drowning in a river while the other group members (almost everyone was a non-swimmer) were watching from the shore (Yes, I'm going to use that story in one of my essays!).

I have tutored Math and Chemistry to Freshmen neighbors during my MS program and helped them drastically improve their grades from mid-term to final exams.

I was also part of the leadership group of the organization that took students to the orphanages, inner city schools and nursing homes.

PS: As far as PhD being a baggage, I can convince the adcom that I am not just trying to collect degrees with my essays. I have a clear cut idea as to what I want to do post MBA.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation, please! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 07:11
If your MBA ties in with your PhD (preferably making you really marketable) then it will work well. If it is a complete change of track I suspect less so. I have studied alongside science PhDs at business school, and for the ones that were there, there was an underlying obvious logic to why.

Your school choices need seriously refining, as for your position you really need to think carefully about what schools fit your background. My knee-jerk would be MIT and Chicago would be more accomodating, with others not really jelling with your background.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile evaluation, please!   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2009, 07:11