Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 08:00
I am looking to apply to any of the top 10 US Universities in R2.

About Me:
Born and raised in California, Female, 22

GMAT Score: Retaking early November – did not do as well the first time around. Obviously this is not complete without it, but I am hoping to score (realistically) between a 650-700.

Education:
Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in May 2007 – GPA 3.52
Associates’ Degree in Business from a local community college in May 2009 – GPA 3.72

Work Experience (Total 4 years upon matriculation)
Have worked as a major accounts manager for two privately held companies (one approximately 2500 employees, the other about 20-30)

Additional facts about me:
Youngest graduate in the graduating class of 2007 (had just turned 20)
Worked full time while attending school in a “career” position (ie I wasn’t working a job at the mall or a fast food chain)
Dean's list (3.75 GPA and above) 4 semesters

Areas of weakness (suggestions welcome to improve in these areas):
I realize that I am extremely young compared to the “average” applicant. However, I feel that this is a strength, not a weakness, and that my work experience is comparable to that of other candidates. I also feel that my letters of recommendation can attest to my maturity in the workplace.
I attended a community college for the first two years of my undergraduate study and then transferred to a university. This was due to the fact that I was only 16, and there were no universities in the city in which I lived (or any neighboring cities).

I have my hopes set on the top 10 universities. I understand that these schools will be a stretch for me, and am willing to do whatever needs to be done to beef up my application (even if it means delaying applying). I want to be realistic in my goals, and do not want to apply, and waste the money, if I do not have a fighting chance at being admitted.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 14:30
Your age in and of itself isn't really how the adcom will benchmark you - they will be looking at your grad year (i.e. how do you compare to others in your grad year +/- 1 year).

In any case, I think based on your overall profile, you'd be a stretch for the top 8 schools at this point -- *however*, with 1-2 extra years of experience and some more meaningful extracurriculars, you should have a stronger chance. In other words, to be competitive you need more than just "I'm more accomplished than others my age" because while you're young now, you're not *that* much younger than others (1-2 years) which over the longer term isn't going to make much difference anyhow. As for the kinds of things you should or want to be doing outside of work, that is entirely up to you so long as it's an organized group activity - arts, athletics, nonprofit, social/political orgs, etc.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation Please   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2009, 14:30