Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 07:35
Please tell me what you think about my profile and chances for admission. Thanks!

Education: BA in Economics (minor in Corporate Strategy) from Vanderbilt University - 3.3 cumulative gpa (3.9 minor)
Also, transferred to Vanderbilt after Freshman year (from Virginia Commonwealth University) with a 4.0 gpa.

GMAT: 700 (V: 95%, Q: 67%)

Age at matriculation: 24 y/o male

Current Occupation: Consultant (gov't contractor)

WE at matriculation: 18 months full time (I had a 3 month internship with a multinational firm before taking my current job in December)

EC: Unfortunately, I did not get involved as an undergraduate but since graduating, I've done some mentoring for adults who want to go back to college, organized a fundraiser for the recent Nashville floods (with my local Vandy alumni chapter), and I'm trying to get involved with Make A Wish and another organization.

International experience: Dual citizen (Greece). I lived in Abu Dhabi for 3 years, Greece for 3 years, and had a 3 month internship with a Private Equity firm in Abu Dhabi after my Junior year.

Post-MBA hopes: I am very determined to go into a biotech/medical device strategy within startups. I'm definitely not made for working long-term in a huge corporation (as I am now). I am an entrepreneur at heart (began selling things to classmates in the 5th grade) and would like to get startup experience before starting something myself or joining another early-stage company.

Target Schools: I'm a bit torn at the moment. I know that I want to go into startups directly out of school (probably stage C or so) or even start something myself, so I don't think having over $150k in debt would be a very wise move. I'd also prefer working in a city with a lower cost of living (like Nashville, etc.).

Columbia (ED), Duke (EA), Vanderbilt (EA), UNC, UVa, Michigan, maybe Kellogg, maybe UT Austin

I live in Virginia now so Darden would be good for my cost concerns (although not as great for my career goals). Vandy, Duke, and UNC to have great Healthcare-centric MBA programs with solid Entrepreneurship courses as well. Would I be competitive for the schools on my list? Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 14:26
Expert's post
EChopeful12 wrote:
Please tell me what you think about my profile and chances for admission. Thanks!

Education: BA in Economics (minor in Corporate Strategy) from Vanderbilt University - 3.3 cumulative gpa (3.9 minor)
Also, transferred to Vanderbilt after Freshman year (from Virginia Commonwealth University) with a 4.0 gpa.

GMAT: 700 (V: 95%, Q: 67%)

Age at matriculation: 24 y/o male

Current Occupation: Consultant (gov't contractor)

WE at matriculation: 18 months full time (I had a 3 month internship with a multinational firm before taking my current job in December)

EC: Unfortunately, I did not get involved as an undergraduate but since graduating, I've done some mentoring for adults who want to go back to college, organized a fundraiser for the recent Nashville floods (with my local Vandy alumni chapter), and I'm trying to get involved with Make A Wish and another organization.

International experience: Dual citizen (Greece). I lived in Abu Dhabi for 3 years, Greece for 3 years, and had a 3 month internship with a Private Equity firm in Abu Dhabi after my Junior year.

Post-MBA hopes: I am very determined to go into a biotech/medical device strategy within startups. I'm definitely not made for working long-term in a huge corporation (as I am now). I am an entrepreneur at heart (began selling things to classmates in the 5th grade) and would like to get startup experience before starting something myself or joining another early-stage company.

Target Schools: I'm a bit torn at the moment. I know that I want to go into startups directly out of school (probably stage C or so) or even start something myself, so I don't think having over $150k in debt would be a very wise move. I'd also prefer working in a city with a lower cost of living (like Nashville, etc.).

Columbia (ED), Duke (EA), Vanderbilt (EA), UNC, UVa, Michigan, maybe Kellogg, maybe UT Austin

I live in Virginia now so Darden would be good for my cost concerns (although not as great for my career goals). Vandy, Duke, and UNC to have great Healthcare-centric MBA programs with solid Entrepreneurship courses as well. Would I be competitive for the schools on my list? Thanks!

Thanks for your inquiry. I think Columbia is a big stretch, as is Kellogg, and don't advise your application there. you are more competitive at Duke, Darden, Ross. You are competitive at UNC, Vandy, and UT Austin. You may also want to consider Babson and UCLA. Both are excellent in entrepreneurship, but I am not sure how strong they are in health care management. Cost of living is high, however, in both LA and Boston.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog