Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 12:02
Would you please evaluate my profile?

32 (33 on joining)/M/ Indian; college in India, schooled mostly in the middle east.

GMAT - 720 V-41/QA - 48/ AWA - 5.5

Work Experience - 10 plus years in sales/customer relationship management with very strong record of performance.

Previous work exp -

Consumer Durables - 1 yr channel Management (w/Indian market leader)
Office infrastructure - 2.5 yrs project sales/channel management (w/ Indian Engineering/consumer durables conglomerate) - 1 promotion
Telecommunication services - 3 yrs customer relationship management (w/ Indian telco major - mostly MNC clients with operations in India; high degree of remote interaction with international clients and colleagues)

Present employment -

Information Technology (Hardware, Software & Services) - 3.5 yrs business development and client management (w/global technology/consulting services major - very high degree of interaction with international clients and collaboration with international colleagues) - 1 promotion
Focus customer sets with most recent employer - Indian/MNC technology majors and local real estate development/construction companies

Academics - Engineering with a 2.9 GPA from a 2nd Tier college in India

Extracurriculars -

Active leader in student politics
Chairman of college student body in Senior year,
University union councillor in Pre-Final year,
Magazine Editor in Second year,
Won multiple extra-curricular prizes at the intra/inter collegiate/university level in all four years of college; active member of various college clubs.

Currently active with employer's CSR organization and an independent NGO - tutoring underprivileged students.

Selected to participate in an on-site, team based sustainability project run by employer in the third world(Africa/Latin America) along with colleagues from multiple countries; selected through a highly competitive program run by employer (0.1% of employees worldwide are chosen; only employees performing in the top 15%, over the previous three years are eligible to apply) - will be deployed in Q1 of 2011

Future goals -

Short term - get into consulting /business development in the areas of sustainable urban development with a technology/consulting major (possibly returning to present employer);
Long term/alternate future - Real Estate development in sustainable urban development/PE in RE.

Target Schools - Kellogg (reapplication) R1 /Duke ED or R1/Cornell R1/ Ross R2

Considering - Yale/Haas/Tuck

Safe schools - Kelley R 1/ UNC R2

I have looked at schools with strong general management programs, those with a strong focus on sustainability and those with strong RE programs.

Recommendations - strong recommendations from employer - 1) Partner in employer's consulting services business in India and 2) former manager who now leads company's business in the area of sustainable development in India.

Optional essay - intend to explain low college GPA with extracurricular involvement.

Are my school choices realistic ? Should I look at any others above/below those in the target group?

Thank you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 16:20
Expert's post
Hello,

As you probably already know, you come from a very competitive background (male/Indian/engineering). So, getting into any top school won't be easy; there are simply so many similar applicants that you will really need to stand out. And, your undergrad GPA seems very low -- many top business schools only admit a handful of people with sub-3.0 GPAs every year. Finally, you're a little on the "old" side compared to the typical applicant, so it will be important for you to convincingly answer the "Why an MBA now?" question that admissions officers will have.

Honestly, I think Kelley and UNC are your best bets of this group, and you may even want to aim a little lower. I think your odds of getting into Kellogg/Tuck/Ross are going to be quite low. You may still want to take a shot, but you will need an amazing application to get in, I expect.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 06:32
Thanks Scott. I have been reading 'Your MBA Gameplan' and it has been very useful.

Best,
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 02:53
Execution is indeed key. Focusing hard on my Ross application helped with factors like age (i'll be 35 soon) and GPA (my final degree score of 59% probably converts to lower than a 2.9 score). Thanks again for the advice.