Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation. Please advise.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation. Please advise. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 09:20
Hello,

I am seeking feedback on my profile to get a better understanding of my chances at the programs below.

1. London Business School (Sep'14 intake)
2. INSEAD (Sep'14 intake)
3. Judge Business School (Sep'14 intake)
4. Said Business School (Sep'14 intake)

I am a 28 year old Indian male. I am currently working with big4 in their Advisory practice in New York. I currently 5.5 years of work experience (6.5 years by matriculation).

My work profile is primarily focused in the financial services industry. I perform consulting services for most of the major banks in helping them be in compliance with various US federal regulations (such as Dodd-Frank, Basel etc.) and perform assessment on their operating model to improve efficiency and identify gaps. I have received 2 promotions in a span of 3 years at my present firm (prior to my current firm, I was with another big4 firm for 2 years, hence total work experience of 5.5 years).
I have also been consistently recognized for my performance and rated in top 10% of the firm for the past 4 years. I have also received various awards for my contribution in building the knowledge capital of the firm. My work involves extensive traveling within US, so have had the pleasure of working with a diverse group of individuals in different team settings.

In extra-curriculars, I worked for an upcoming social networking website (primarily Indian based) in 2006 for a period of 1 year where I was helping on building go-to-market strategy and brand management. I am currently involved in expanding customer base of an Indian matrimonial website in United States. I have yielded over 15% growth in US customer base over a period of 2 years.

I hold a Master's degree (MS) in Industrial & Systems Engineering from Virginia Tech, USA (GPA = 3.6) and a Bachelor's degree (BE) in Information Technology Engineering from University of Mumbai, India (Top 15%, GPA ~= 3.6). I have also done 5 years of my schooling (Class 6th through 10th) in Hong Kong in an international school which had students from over 40 countries, so have had good international exposure from an early age.

My GMAT is 660 (Q50, V30). I have taken it 3 times already. For some reason, I am not able to translate my performance in practice tests (consistently over 700s in GMAT Prep) to the real exam. I understand that my GMAT is below average but please advice whether it makes sense to take GMAT again or do I stand good probability of making it to the schools above on my existing score.

Thank you for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation. Please advise. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 21:43
Expert's post
euromba wrote:
Hello,

I am seeking feedback on my profile to get a better understanding of my chances at the programs below.

1. London Business School (Sep'14 intake)
2. INSEAD (Sep'14 intake)
3. Judge Business School (Sep'14 intake)
4. Said Business School (Sep'14 intake)

I am a 28 year old Indian male. I am currently working with big4 in their Advisory practice in New York. I currently 5.5 years of work experience (6.5 years by matriculation).

My work profile is primarily focused in the financial services industry. I perform consulting services for most of the major banks in helping them be in compliance with various US federal regulations (such as Dodd-Frank, Basel etc.) and perform assessment on their operating model to improve efficiency and identify gaps. I have received 2 promotions in a span of 3 years at my present firm (prior to my current firm, I was with another big4 firm for 2 years, hence total work experience of 5.5 years).
I have also been consistently recognized for my performance and rated in top 10% of the firm for the past 4 years. I have also received various awards for my contribution in building the knowledge capital of the firm. My work involves extensive traveling within US, so have had the pleasure of working with a diverse group of individuals in different team settings.

In extra-curriculars, I worked for an upcoming social networking website (primarily Indian based) in 2006 for a period of 1 year where I was helping on building go-to-market strategy and brand management. I am currently involved in expanding customer base of an Indian matrimonial website in United States. I have yielded over 15% growth in US customer base over a period of 2 years.

I hold a Master's degree (MS) in Industrial & Systems Engineering from Virginia Tech, USA (GPA = 3.6) and a Bachelor's degree (BE) in Information Technology Engineering from University of Mumbai, India (Top 15%, GPA ~= 3.6). I have also done 5 years of my schooling (Class 6th through 10th) in Hong Kong in an international school which had students from over 40 countries, so have had good international exposure from an early age.

My GMAT is 660 (Q50, V30). I have taken it 3 times already. For some reason, I am not able to translate my performance in practice tests (consistently over 700s in GMAT Prep) to the real exam. I understand that my GMAT is below average but please advice whether it makes sense to take GMAT again or do I stand good probability of making it to the schools above on my existing score.

Thank you for your time.

Hmmm. that verbal hurts. If you can change something that you think will change the outcome (study method, perhaps using a tutor) then I recommend a retake. If you studied hard and there is nothing in terms of prep that you would do differently, then apply with your current score and hope that the schools will view it as an anomaly. However, I'm not optimistic especially at LBS and INSEAD.

I wish I had a better response.

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: Profile Evaluation. Please advise. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:41
Many people use the results to establish a better baseline to focus the MBA application. you have infact options to choose a ph D program, where the criteria are different and depend on individual faculty including those 'closer home' to your work place at columbia and stern who might welcome you for the experience and the rigor.

You also have the option to go back to taking a look at other Top universities. College Rank really does not matter if you are a rank holder. Academic programs as a career option, however dont allow you to co out of your english abiity and require rigoros screening in case of phd programs being your choice

Or you could simply choose rograms at Dublin or Edinburgh or Singapore for your MBA and/or apply to MBA schools with a wider acceptance of gMAt levels. because of my current focus, I was able to assess a lot of faculty strengths and there are choices out there which compare well esp with Judge and said in your list
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation. Please advise. [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 04:50
Thank you for your response. It was really helpful. I was hoping that having worked and performed well at established firms may oversight my GMAT score.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation. Please advise. [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 22:44
Expert's post
euromba wrote:
Thank you for your response. It was really helpful. I was hoping that having worked and performed well at established firms may oversight my GMAT score.

That's what I hope too, but I can't advise or assess on the basis of my hopes. It's possible. Is it likely, not at LBS and INSEAD. It's more likely at Judge and Said.

Given that you've taken the exam 3 times and you do otherwise have an excellent profile, I think you should apply and just see how it goes. Maybe, as we both hope, they will accept you based on the other elements in your profile. If they don't, you can either consider a different approach to test prep (private tutor?) or other programs, perhaps R2 or next year.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation. Please advise. [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 12:10
Hi Linda,

Quick update. I took the GMAT again and scored a 680 (Q47, V36). Though my verbal improved but my quant went down. Do you think an improvement of 20 points make a difference? Since I am applying to the top schools, do you think I need to write about my multiple GMAT attempts (x4) in the optional essays? Thanks.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation. Please advise. [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 17:21
Expert's post
euromba wrote:
Hi Linda,

Quick update. I took the GMAT again and scored a 680 (Q47, V36). Though my verbal improved but my quant went down. Do you think an improvement of 20 points make a difference? Since I am applying to the top schools, do you think I need to write about my multiple GMAT attempts (x4) in the optional essays? Thanks.

I believe that INSEAD takes the highest score on each segment so this test really improves you profile, if INSEAD still does that. While it would have been better had you quant not gone done so much, you still have that 50 from the previous exam. I think this is still better. Will it make the difference? There's only one way to find out: apply.

Given everything else in your favor, I am now becoming somewhat less pessimistic about LBS and INSEAD, especially if INSEAD considers the highest score on verbal and the highest on quant. I think you have strengthened your competitiveness at Judge and Said.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553