Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please -- GMAT 720 WE 2+ Good acads

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 1410 Q800 V610
GPA: 3.77
WE: Research (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please -- GMAT 720 WE 2+ Good acads [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 02:27
Dear Sir,

Please evaluate my profile and advise whether I stand a chance in the selected schools.

About me:
I am 24 years , Indian Male. However not in IT :) .
I have worked in the research domain for 2 years in Image Processing and Electronic Hardware and done a decent job at it with some publications in international conferences under my belt. I have a degree in electronic engineering with good academic scores ( Amongst top 10% in my university ,Aggregate scores of Distinction in all years ) . My GMAT scores is 720(Q-48 V-40) and TOEFL scores is 112. I also hold a valid GRE score of 1410 given 3 years back.

My career goal is to be an entrepreneur in the technology domain and aim to start a research based venture. To that goal I have started a small venture a month ago and experimenting with some small product ideas till matriculation. This is not a long term plan with my next step being an MBA, but I just want to get a feel of my strengths and weakness in being an entrepreneur and get to know the right questions to ask and right things to learn in the MBA program.

Based on the rankings I have selected some categories of schools.Can you please advise whether the following list is suitable for me.

Dream Admits
CMU

Hard Admits
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler)
Georgetown University (McDonough)
University of Wisconsin--Madison

Moderate Admits
Texas A&M University--College Station (Mays)
University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
University of Texas--Dallas

Safer Admits
Purdue University--West Lafayette (Krannert)

Asia Schools :- ISB , Nanyang and NSU.

Also are there any schools in the list in which my GRE score will be considered at a better position than my GMAT score academically.

Thank you and Regards
Aditya

If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from many it's research

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation Please -- GMAT 720 WE 2+ Good acads [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 00:47
Expert's post
Not in IT!!!!
that's great!
:)
Well, to give you a REAL evaluation we need more info especially about your work experience and academics - what your GPA was, what school you attended, what achievements and promotions you have at work, etc. etc. If you can post that here, we can be a bit more precise.

Right now, though from what I have things look GREAT as far as your test scores go. (you may even be underestimating yourself). The one thing against you is your only two years of working experience (one or three more would be helpful)

Soooo, get back to us with more info (and let us know when you are applying) and we'll try and be more precise.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Please -- GMAT 720 WE 2+ Good acads [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 03:18
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply.

Regards my academic GPA and performance , I did my graduation in electronics engineering at University of Pune,India. My unofficial GPA according to WES iGPA is about 3.77-3.8 / 4.0.
My work experience has been primarily based in projects related to driver assistance systems in automobiles. This has involved algorithm development, prototyping with some coding in popular scripting tools involved in it as well as hardware activities like development of optical sensors and embedded systems.

As professional achievements , I have some publications in research journals and an "wow" award for my valuable contributions to my projects from my organization. I have been amongst top rated performers in my appraisals in both years of service. I have also received a promotion changing my status as a Trainee to a Research Associate.

I have also mentored juniors in my team and performed various mini-projects which were essential for the success of the project I was working on.
Currently as a self employed founder, I am planning to launch a small product in driver assistance systems and have already received some sponsors for a launch event.
In academic achievements , during my graduation , I have won numerous awards in technical competitions including a national level robotics event organized by the IEEE.

My extracurricular activities were mainly in my college. These include participation in managing committees of student organized technical events as well in charge of fundraising for the events. I was also part of IEEE executive student council and have played a leadership role in organising seminars and conferences.

Currently my extra -activities are limited to the online domain and I am volunteering to design a plan for annual events like fundraisers and awareness events for an NGO in India through the UN online volunteering forums.

Hope this information helps you to evaluate my choices.

Regards
Aditya

If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from many it's research

Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Evaluation Please -- GMAT 720 WE 2+ Good acads [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 06:40
Expert's post
Aha! You are a self-employed founder!
Of what? And how big? And what successes have you had? And do you have employees? Do you hold patents? Do you have a turnover? Have you gotten seed money?
Because in a situation such as yours, obviously the single most significant fact for the Bschools is the success (or potential success of your firm). If they feel you are a future Jeff Bezos, you could get in everywhere. If they feel that you haven't enough PROOF of success (or potential success) it might weaken your candidacy.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Please -- GMAT 720 WE 2+ Good acads [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 07:45
Dear Sir,

I have been self employed only for a month now having completed 2 years of service in an automotive electronic company. It is a very small scale venture started with the help of a couple of friends. It is not planned to develop fully as as start-up venture and we don't have any set plans for revenues or employees.

As mentioned in my first post , I am looking at it as a learning exercise to judge my strengths and weaknesses as an entrepreneur and to get an idea about the challenges faced in the Indian market-place. These would help me to understand my areas of improvement so I can focus on them during the course of my MBA.

The plan is to launch a software product based on the target demographic of age 40+ to help them in using the features of computers and other smart devices effectively. For this purpose , we have decided on a launch event for getting feedback from potential customers.It is for this event that we got sponsors in just one month which I considered to be an achievement :oops: and possibly an indicator fro potential success :oops:

Even in case the venture takes off , I still plan to focus on obtaining academic knowledge first and the venture will be carried forward by my friends.

I hope this phase won't be a major factor in my profile as I plan to apply no later than Round 2 for the schools i.e. the total time passed would only be a couple of months.

Regards
Aditya

Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Evaluation Please -- GMAT 720 WE 2+ Good acads [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 04:15
Expert's post
Aha... I see now that we are digging a bit deep. I think that your profile is good enough to make you competitive or better at all of the schools on your list. You may even add one more school which is a bit tougher, but has a great Entrepreneur or IT program like Haas, McCombs, Babson.

If you are going to use your entrepreneurial experience for your goals, it will be key that you prove that you are doing stuff and getting places (as much as possible, even if its just a few months). I hope this helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com