Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 13:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation! Please Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation! Please Help! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:40
Hey askmbamission I don't have too many people around me pursuing or looking to pursue and MBA so its a little difficult for me to figure out whether the colleges I'm targeting are realistic or not. Hoping you can help me out here.

Indian Male, Age- 26

Work Experience- 5+ Years in total.
1 year in the financial services industry as a Financial Analyst and 4+ years as a Senior Manager- Business Development & Strategy at a diversified firm with interests in Textiles, Power and Higher education (most recent job). Also Co-Founded an internet venture in 2006 which I later sold off to the other partners making a decent profit on investment.

GMAT- 720

College- Cardiff University, Business School. Degree- BSc in Accounting & Finance Result- Upper 2.1 Degree. Topped year 1 and scored a first class in both year 1 and 2 but because of my fathers untimely death during Year 3 I had issues with my final year grades and hence the upper 2:1. Graduated in 2008.

Treasurer of the Indian society at the B-school. Developed the Corporate social responsibility charter for my current firm with special focus on education and sanitation (topics close to my heart). Working with the biggest environmental NGO in India on part time basis.

Target Schools- LBS, INSEAD, Kellogg 1Y, Booth, ISB, Darden, NUS and Nanyang

Reason for pursuing and MBA is to change field of work. Post MBA goal is to move into Management Consulting. Plan to gain some experience in the consulting field through a job/internship before the start of my MBA.

I think my application might look a little weak seeing how I haven't worked with a REALLY big multinational firm. The firm I'm working for has revenues of over $100m though. Working at a smaller firm allowed me to take up more responsibility relatively early on. I think through my essays I will be able to convey why I'll be a good candidate at my target schools.

Application fee at each business school is close to $250, thats quite a bit. So I am trying to narrow down my target schools. My dream schools are definitely LBS, INSEAD, Kellogg and Booth. But I'm not sure about which out of these I have a fighting chance at. Please help and also if you think I should apply to some other college kindly advise

Thanks

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation! Please Help! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 18:07
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Overall I feel you have a fairly strong profile for business school. The strengths of your profile based on the info you posted include:

-720 GMAT (at or above average at the schools on your list)
-5 solid years of work experience, with financial services and analysis/strategy experiences
-start-up experience
-some community involvement/NGO work

Unknowns:
-your essays/recs/interview
-details of the experiences you've had during your work experience-- examples of leadership, teamwork, making an impact, going above and beyond, communication skills, results achieved, and so on-- if you can pull out some of these key experiences it will really help your application/profile
-more detail about your goals.... do you have shorter and longer term career goals? You'll definitely want to answer the question WHY you'd like to move into management consulting as well. While consulting is a popular post-MBA field and very valid, you'll do better in the application process if you can articulate the rationale behind your career change decision and what about consulting appeals to you, and how you'll use the experiences you have from the past in that future role!

Definitely don't underestimate the importance and power of those essays-- lots of opportunity there to show who you are, what you'll contribute, and what you'll do with the degree after b-school!!

As for schools, I would think you'd have a chance at all of the schools on your list, IF you put together a strong application with very compelling essays, good recommendations, etc. A lot depends on those factors, once you have some solid experience and a good GMAT score. I wouldn't worry about not having worked at a large firm btw; while a well-known firm can be a small plus, generally the quality of your experience is what's most important so be sure to showcase that. It is a long school list, certainly. It's hard to advise which to cut without knowing more about the WHY you are interested in each of the programs on your list, though. LBS and INSEAD are of course great for international diversity (and check this link out for a comparison write-up between the two, http://www.topmba.com/europe/london-bus ... -vs-insead). You might want to pick your top 3-4 to apply to initially and then possibly one more outside your top 4 choices for a bit more of a safety school. I'd continue to research the programs as much as you can, talk to students/alum, read blogs from actual students, ask to get put in touch with them (admissions offices will usually do so), etc.

Let us know if we can help more. Good luck to you!

In general

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation! Please Help! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 22:53
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Overall I feel you have a fairly strong profile for business school. The strengths of your profile based on the info you posted include:

-720 GMAT (at or above average at the schools on your list)
-5 solid years of work experience, with financial services and analysis/strategy experiences
-start-up experience
-some community involvement/NGO work

Unknowns:
-your essays/recs/interview
-details of the experiences you've had during your work experience-- examples of leadership, teamwork, making an impact, going above and beyond, communication skills, results achieved, and so on-- if you can pull out some of these key experiences it will really help your application/profile
-more detail about your goals.... do you have shorter and longer term career goals? You'll definitely want to answer the question WHY you'd like to move into management consulting as well. While consulting is a popular post-MBA field and very valid, you'll do better in the application process if you can articulate the rationale behind your career change decision and what about consulting appeals to you, and how you'll use the experiences you have from the past in that future role!

Definitely don't underestimate the importance and power of those essays-- lots of opportunity there to show who you are, what you'll contribute, and what you'll do with the degree after b-school!!

As for schools, I would think you'd have a chance at all of the schools on your list, IF you put together a strong application with very compelling essays, good recommendations, etc. A lot depends on those factors, once you have some solid experience and a good GMAT score. I wouldn't worry about not having worked at a large firm btw; while a well-known firm can be a small plus, generally the quality of your experience is what's most important so be sure to showcase that. It is a long school list, certainly. It's hard to advise which to cut without knowing more about the WHY you are interested in each of the programs on your list, though. LBS and INSEAD are of course great for international diversity (and check this link out for a comparison write-up between the two, http://www.topmba.com/europe/london-bus ... -vs-insead). You might want to pick your top 3-4 to apply to initially and then possibly one more outside your top 4 choices for a bit more of a safety school. I'd continue to research the programs as much as you can, talk to students/alum, read blogs from actual students, ask to get put in touch with them (admissions offices will usually do so), etc.

Let us know if we can help more. Good luck to you!

In general

Hey askmbamission

Thanks for the really informative reply.

Problem solving is what I love doing. I think I have a fairly analytical mind. Its something I've been doing in my current position as well. But now I want to pursue it at a much wider scale. Want to work and learn at a proper management consulting firm (hopefully one of the big 4). I like to stay ahead of the market. I'd love to provide consulting advice to clients that would help them achieve desired results. Moreover through consulting I'm hoping to widen my understanding of new sectors (preferably Petroleum and Minerals, both fields fascinate me). So pursuing a career in consulting will be the immediate goal post my mba. Long term goal would be to start my own business utilizing the expertise gained through my work experiences. My motivation for setting up my own business (maybe in Oil and gas or Mining) is my upbringing. I come from a family where no ones willing to take the risk of starting something on their own. From a very young age kids are told that should study hard and strive to get into either the civil services or a good engineering college (eg. IIT). I want to change this perception. Also post my MBA I would love to continue working on certain social issues that I consider exceptionally important such as providing drinking water, proper sanitation and good quality education to the poor.

I definitely realize how important the essays are. I think through my essays I will be able to demonstrate my skill set, especially leadership qualities. I'm one of the youngest people working at my firm and definitely the youngest working in a managerial position. My career progression has been much quicker than it normally is for someone at the firm. I've constantly taken initiative at work and the management has clearly acknowledged and appreciated it.

Main reason for choosing the above mentioned schools was a good placement record, focus on consulting and the fact that most provide loans without a co-signor to international students. I plan on working outside my country post my MBA for a couple of years atleast so good international recruitment by consulting firms is definitely a priority in selection.

Most R1 application deadlines are in early-mid october and I'm not exactly sure if I'll be able to produce my best essay work in the short time till then, considering I haven't even started with my essays. So should I wait till R2 or send in my application in R1 with as good an application as possible in the short time?????

Thanks for the help

Regards
Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation! Please Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 06:33
So in order to get in touch with local alumni I should contact that the admissions office and ask them to connect me?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation! Please Help! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 05:44
Expert's post
Hi there,

All of your explanations make sense and sound like good basis for essays.

In terms of timing, it really does depend on your personal situation... I wouldn't suggest rushing it if you don't feel you'll be able to put together the best possible application. If however you focused on one application and felt you could do an excellent job for a given deadline, you could also do that and aim for others for the next round. There's also the logistical detail of recommenders, if you haven't started that yet.

Yes usually if you contact the admissions office and say you'd love to be put in touch with a current student or alumni to ask some q's etc, they are happy to do so. Many schools have 'ambassadors' that are current or recent students for this purpose. You can also search for blogs by students for reading, and sometimes you can find alum/student contact info online too. But doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php