Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation...Please Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation...Please Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:27
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could provide some input regarding my chances of gaining admission into the following schools: Cornell, Georgetown, UNC, Duke, and Washington U. My profile is as follows:
Education:
-Finance Undergrad-University of Central Missouri 4.0 finance GPA, 3.65 Cumulative GPA
-Held presidency of several student organizations, scholarships, etc
-Could obtain recommendation from Econ & Finance Dept. Chair
Work Experience:
-4 years with Bank of America, Private Wealth Mang. Division
-1st 10 Months, worked as an analyst
-remainder, was promoted early to Assistant VP and made Portfolio Manager, managing $100million+ investment portfolios
-Excellent Reviews, etc
GMAT: 650
Additional:
-Passed all three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst exam (CFA) and will receive charter shortly.
-Member of the CFA Institute and the Kansas City CFA society
Long-term Goals:
Plan on leveraging my MBA to gain management/Director positions with Bank of America or similiar companies.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 11:14
Getting a lot of views, but no suggestions. Can anyone share some personal insight. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 11:16
I would suggest posting this in one of the "Ask XXX" forums.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 11:23
You have a shot at all of the schools on the list (a good shot at some), but you will have to work hard to overcome your GMAT score at Duke, Cornell & possible UNC. Your experience seems to be spot on for an MBA applicant. One thing is that Private Wealth is sometimes considered the poor sister of Investment Banking and S&T, but generally speaking your experience is strong. Your academic record is great, but your school is off the radar, so this is probably a neutral factor overall. Without knowing and additional information, I'd say you have a chance, but 40-80 more points on the GMAT will make your a strong candidate at all of those schools.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 11:52
26/27, quick promotion, PM managing 100+mm and you passed all 3 CFA exams?

You're going to need to do a lot of convincing as to why you need an MBA. Otherwise, I think you'd be a goldmine for a bschool. CFA makes you very easily employable, which will always boost a school's rep.
Intern
Intern

Thank you [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 06:26
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Pelihu, when I said "Private Wealth", I should have added that I also manage endowments, charitable foundations, institutions, etc. I'm also not interested in doing I-banking or S&T now or in the future, so I hope that point carries no weight in the application process. Thanks for your advice.

Kidderek, the structure of this organization is such that when one becomes a Portfolio Manager, they could potentially stay at that level for the duration of their career. I'm hoping that the MBA will make myself more marketable for a transition from managing client portfolios to managing those who manage client portfolios; essentially become the director of investments. With this in mind, do you think I will have trouble making my case for an MBA? Thanks in advance for your advice.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 07:04
FYI, Cornell class of 09 has avg gmat of 690 -- the highest in recent years.

Business schools are still a business. If you are a CFA, I'm sure schools will look at that very favorably. Also, you can put in your apps now with a 650 and take the test again before decisions come in.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation...Please Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 08:40
APM wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could provide some input regarding my chances of gaining admission into the following schools: Cornell, Georgetown, UNC, Duke, and Washington U. My profile is as follows:
Education:
-Finance Undergrad-University of Central Missouri 4.0 finance GPA, 3.65 Cumulative GPA
-Held presidency of several student organizations, scholarships, etc
-Could obtain recommendation from Econ & Finance Dept. Chair
Work Experience:
-4 years with Bank of America, Private Wealth Mang. Division
-1st 10 Months, worked as an analyst
-remainder, was promoted early to Assistant VP and made Portfolio Manager, managing $100million+ investment portfolios
-Excellent Reviews, etc
GMAT: 650
Additional:
-Passed all three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst exam (CFA) and will receive charter shortly.
-Member of the CFA Institute and the Kansas City CFA society
Long-term Goals:
Plan on leveraging my MBA to gain management/Director positions with Bank of America or similiar companies.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance

Maybe I'm seeing something here that other people aren't, but I see a lot of potential in this profile. Spun properly, I see a young aggressive and dedicated analyst who distinguished himself in a large multi national corporation and quickly rose to Assistant VP and wealth manager. I see a focused passion as identified by a CFA exam, solid GPA, etc.

The only thing holding you back would be the GMAT and a more well developed "why mba". It isn't sufficient to merely say you want to become a Director, I think you need to develop a more deep reason you want an MBA - say "a better understanding of operations, economics and strategy so that I can better understand the strategic moves made by the companies I cover and recommend to my clients". Even something as "basic" as that is already a substantial step in the right direction.

If you can bump the GMAT, I'd probably be suggesting you give Wharton, Chicago, etc a shot. Heck, I'd suggest you toss in an app into one of these top schools anyway, but certainly, if you can bump that GMAT, refine the "story" and why mba a bit, I imagine you would do just fine...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 09:17
Rhyme, thanks for your encouraging input. I think with a little effort I can create an excellent "why MBA" letter and raise my GMAT score. I'm hoping that the CFA and my GPA will negate the fact that I didn't attend a recognized university. Once again, thanks.
  [#permalink] 26 Sep 2007, 09:17