It would be helpful if you could give some feedback regarding my profile and choice of target schools. Sorry for the long post!!
Indian/IT Male /28/ 6.5 Years exp in TCS (will be 8 by the time I start my MBA)
International Work Experience – 1 Year in UK, Will be moving to Munich soon.
• GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39)
• Engineering- 77.10% from one of the best engineering schools in India (Non-IIT)
• 12th - 92.5% (Top 2% of the class) , 10th - 95.2% (Ranked 14th for the state out of 80,000 students that year)
I had applied in 2011 and was rejected by Haas, ISB, Tuck w/o Interview and Tepper, UT Austin after interview. (Yes! I messed up the interviews)
Professional Experience: Presales and Consulting (past 2 years and added to the profile compared to the past exp):
• Won 7 deals (out of 9) totalling over 8 M USD/year competing with three other vendors (Accenture, IBM and Infosys)
• Added over 100 new positions through these 7 deals covering all aspects of IT (Development, Testing, Infrastructure and Maintenance services)
• Developed an applications consolidation strategy to streamline business processes with a possibility of saving over 2M USD/Year
• Developed a strategy to roll out application maintenance support to geographies such as APAC, Russia and Brazil, Netherlands
• Currently working on a Global Business Intelligence Strategy for an Insurance Major involving 'Big Data' analysis and Data warehousing, with a potential business opportunity of over 50M USDProject Management (past 2 years and added to the profile compared to the past exp):
• Currently managing a project of over 1 M USD with 32 associates reporting to me, one of the youngest PMs in TCS handling a portfolio of over 1M
• Handling a global team working parallel in US, UK , Germany, SG, SA and India
• Conceptualized and implemented 'Value Delivery Framework' that would enable associates to generate ideas for process improvements - achieved over 100,000 USD Savings in the first yearOther Experience before moving into Project Management: (Used for the previous apps)
• Lead a team for eight analysts in London, Munich & Bangalore to develop technology solutions; investigating problems and performing business analysis for TCS’s first Corporate and Specialty Insurance client with an annual revenue of € 4Million
• More than 5 years of experience in working the Insurance domain (both life and non-life)
• Saved over $3 million for the client partner by resolving one of the critical issues related to a German marine insurance claim
• Analysed client’s global application landscape and developed a strategy to improve their Financial Reconciliation process leading to ~20% reduction in processing times
• Led a team of 6 members to successfully implement the complete IT infrastructure for a client. The project was worth around 500,000 USDExtracurricular:
• Band Manager for a Hindi Rock Band (New) - Managed to get over 10 shows for the band in the past year
• External Consultant to an event management company helping them in improving their business (New)
• Maitree Champion TCS –
- Led a CSR Activity in TCS through adopting a school and educating the kids on English, Computers and Mathematics (New)
- 10 K Marathon - One of the volunteers and made sure to register over 50 participants for the run (New)
- Organized fund raising events to raise over INR 60,000 ($1,500) for orphanages and schools for the underprivileged
- Worked with Stepney FC in London to return disaffected young people to mainstream of society through Football
• Faculty, Foreign Language Initiatives (Bangalore) - Trained more than 120 associates in ‘Business Communications’ and continuously received 100% faculty rating from the participants
• Director and Stage Manager – For a Japanese play performed by a 12 member team during TCS induction
• Core Coordinator - QFest - Quality Awareness Fest in TCS - Led team of 10 associates to conceptualize, plan and execute 20 events over 5 days catering to 500
• Part of the recruitment team - Visited many campuses and conducted off campus events to recruit people into the organization.Professional Certifications:
• Associate, Life Management Institute (ALMI) designation in Insurance - Pursued on my own interest.
• Completed Level 1 of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) offered by the CFA Institute, USA. Currently a Level 2 candidate. - Pursued my own because of my personal interest in Finance.
• ITIL Certification in IT Service Management.
• National Stock Exchange (NSE) certification in Derivatives and NSE certification in Financial Markets. - my personal interest in Finance.
• German language level 1 (A1) offered by the Goethe Institute. - Additional things:
• Know 7 languages including basic German and Japanese
• Hobbies - Avid Traveler - Visited more than 10 countries, Huge Man U fan, Excellent Cook Short Term Goal:Technology Strategy Consulting
: To get into a consulting firm into their Information Technology practice (MBB / Booz Allen / Accenture Bus. Consulting / Delloitte). Main interest is in the IT of Global Financial and Insurance firms.Long Term Goal:
CIO/CTO of a big financial / insurance / technology firmTarget Schools:
Dream : Haas, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Realistic : Duke, UCLA, Ross, Tepper, UT Austin, ISB , NUS
I have a few questions:
• Is my experience of 8 years a major challenge?
• Can you please let me know whether my target schools are actually on target based on my profile
• Should I reapply to Haas? Considering that, it’s tough to get in and they have already rejected me?
• Are there any other schools that I need to consider?
Thanks a lot for your patience and for the response
Your level of work experience is a little high but not so high as to be a major issue at your target programs with the possible exception of Tepper. I don't think it's a big deal. Otherwise you are applying appropriately and have chosen your schools well. You may also want to consider NYU or Yale.
Regarding Haas, four years have passed. You should present a very different app this time. I see no reason not to reapply and lots of reason to apply. It's a good fit for what you want to do.