Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please, low GPA , but solid experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation please, low GPA , but solid experience [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 11:34
Hi,

I took the GMAT in early 2009 (690; Q-49,V-34) (had taken it earlier in 2008 but cancelled my test) and want to apply to colleges offering recognized 1 year MBA programs. I want to enrol in 2012.

I have very poor acads at the undergrad level. But since then I have had a steady career graph. I have solid work exp in the fin services sector and also tried to cover up for the shitty undergrad show pursuing a couple of professional qualifications which carry significant value in the fin industry. Please see below for details.

Why MBA: I want to become a fund manager and be considered eligible to handle large amounts of money. From what I have seen, an MBA is almost a pre-requisite to get there.

Questions:

* I am planning to take the GMAT now to improve upon my score (didnt study well the first two times) but I doubt if I will be able to meet any of the 1st round deadlines. Will that be a disadvantage?

* What else can I do to make up for my low GPA and improve my chances of getting accepted? Moreover, how can I address this in my application?

Target Schools:
*LBS
*Insead
*ISB
*Judge
*Said

Nationality: Indian

Goals:
*Short term: A career where I can gain knowledge and expertise in the area of investment management
*Long term: To start an asset management venture based on my own strategies

Undergrad:
*Indian Institute of Technology (2006), Bachelor of Technology, Electronics and Comm Engineering.
*Crappy GPA of 5.41 (10 pt scale) and took 5 yrs (instead of 4) to graduate. (Reason: lost interest and simply did not study)
*The tech. and engineering institution has been consistently ranked in the top 5 in India.

Professional Qualifications (pursuits):
* Chartered Financial Analyst: awaiting Level III results
* Financial Risk Manager: passed Part I, enrolled for Part II.

Work experience (5 yrs as of Jun-11):
*Spent the first 18 months of my career working as a third party research analyst at a global outsourcing firm for the Fixed Income desk of large European investment bank. Won two performance awards.
*Past 3.5 years as a cross asset quantitative research analyst in the private banking division of a top private bank .Recently promoted to Assistant Vice President. Consistently developed and delivered revenue enhancing quantitative investment strategies, models and tools (both proprietary and for clients).
*Exposure to multicultural corporate setting with high visibility through to top management levels.
*Travelled on business to Germany,UK and Switzerland.

Other
* Nominated for the branding campaign at my current firm.
* Co-managed the cultural festival at college
* Semi professional musician: fluent at guitar
* College level tennis player
* College level snooker and billiards player
* Member of literary and music section
* Editor of college students magazine
* Got the top grade for my final year B.Tech project: which was a digital guitar effects processor
* Avid trekker

Thanks for the help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation please, low GPA , but solid experience [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 06:52
Expert's post
mishroh wrote:
Hi,

I took the GMAT in early 2009 (690; Q-49,V-34) (had taken it earlier in 2008 but cancelled my test) and want to apply to colleges offering recognized 1 year MBA programs. I want to enrol in 2012.

I have very poor acads at the undergrad level. But since then I have had a steady career graph. I have solid work exp in the fin services sector and also tried to cover up for the shitty undergrad show pursuing a couple of professional qualifications which carry significant value in the fin industry. Please see below for details.

Why MBA: I want to become a fund manager and be considered eligible to handle large amounts of money. From what I have seen, an MBA is almost a pre-requisite to get there.

Questions:

* I am planning to take the GMAT now to improve upon my score (didnt study well the first two times) but I doubt if I will be able to meet any of the 1st round deadlines. Will that be a disadvantage?

* What else can I do to make up for my low GPA and improve my chances of getting accepted? Moreover, how can I address this in my application?

Target Schools:
*LBS
*Insead
*ISB
*Judge
*Said

Nationality: Indian

Goals:
*Short term: A career where I can gain knowledge and expertise in the area of investment management
*Long term: To start an asset management venture based on my own strategies

Undergrad:
*Indian Institute of Technology (2006), Bachelor of Technology, Electronics and Comm Engineering.
*Crappy GPA of 5.41 (10 pt scale) and took 5 yrs (instead of 4) to graduate. (Reason: lost interest and simply did not study)
*The tech. and engineering institution has been consistently ranked in the top 5 in India.

Professional Qualifications (pursuits):
* Chartered Financial Analyst: awaiting Level III results
* Financial Risk Manager: passed Part I, enrolled for Part II.

Work experience (5 yrs as of Jun-11):
*Spent the first 18 months of my career working as a third party research analyst at a global outsourcing firm for the Fixed Income desk of large European investment bank. Won two performance awards.
*Past 3.5 years as a cross asset quantitative research analyst in the private banking division of a top private bank .Recently promoted to Assistant Vice President. Consistently developed and delivered revenue enhancing quantitative investment strategies, models and tools (both proprietary and for clients).
*Exposure to multicultural corporate setting with high visibility through to top management levels.
*Travelled on business to Germany,UK and Switzerland.

Other
* Nominated for the branding campaign at my current firm.
* Co-managed the cultural festival at college
* Semi professional musician: fluent at guitar
* College level tennis player
* College level snooker and billiards player
* Member of literary and music section
* Editor of college students magazine
* Got the top grade for my final year B.Tech project: which was a digital guitar effects processor
* Avid trekker

Thanks for the help!

It sounds to me like you're going to have to build an alternate transcript to repair the poor undergrad performance. And yes, I do think you'll need to boost the GMAT to complement that effort: the schools are just going to be concerned that academia is not the place for you otherwise. Round 2 is still a viable option, and you are still young enough to apply next year if you need to.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog