Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please - Military

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Carlson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.24
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 13:53
Work Experience: 3 years currently, would be 4.5 at time of admit (aiming for Fall 2014)
Currently work at a fast growing software company based in Minneapolis, ~$100MM. I am a project manager, have been for the past year.
I am also a commissioned officer in the Army - commissioned upon graduation from college in 2010, immediately left for training and then combat deployment (which is what I did from late 2010 until returning home and starting my job in May 2012). Member of Army for just over 6 years, held numerous leadership positions, typically leading groups of 40, though advised for groups of up to 132.

Education:
Majored in Management Information Systems from a nationally accredited state university in Minnesota. 3.24 GPA, nothing spectacular. My only claim here is that I took 20+ credits a semester for the last two years on my enrollment (12 credits = full-time). This was due to a requirement to complete my undegrade degree to coincide my commissioning program.

Extra Curriculars:
VP, Info Systems club (major)
President/Founder, Military Science club
Member, Emerging Leaders group United Way Foundation
Tutor and Teaching Assistant for Application development courses throughout time at school.

GMAT- First attempt 690 (Q:43/V:41) - I will be retaking as I intend to pursue a career in consulting, and don't want this to be the piece that holds me back. I studied for about a month but the second half of my studying was a bit disorganized. Believe I could get to 730+ (so please use this figure for profile).

My GMAT/MBA experience was a bit strange. I went and toured a program here in Minnesota (Carlson) and was encouraged to apply (I toured last week in March, R3 deadline was April 1). I scrambed to put together my application got that in before the April 1 deadline, and was allowed to send along my GMAT results once completed. I studied from beginning of April to test date of 5/7, sent in unofficial scores and interviewed second week in May. Waiting for admission decision (official score must be received first).

I believe I could retake the GMAT and increase my Quant considerably with a few more months studying, and end up in the 730+ range. That, along with a bit more WE and my military experience, would I be a candidate at Top 16 schools? I view my big weakness as my undergrad (school and GPA).

Thank you very much in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 15:13
jwatson0405,
Your leadership record in the service and professionally is impressive so, assuming a 730 GMAT, I think you would have a solid chance at military friendly Top 16 programs like Michigan, Cornell, Duke -- and perhaps others, depending on the depth of your profile (would want to see a resume to give you a better take: paulbodine@yahoo.com).

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 16:42
Expert's post
Hi Jwatson0405,

Your profile is impressive. I understand that your amazing leadership roles in the military can be translated into memorable stories in essays.

I concur with Paul that you will be competitive for top 20 programs. B-schools want to fill their classes with candidates from diverse backgrounds, and they have a preference for military people. However, a lot will depend on how you will present your candidacy in your essays and resume. Well- crafted resume, effectively written essays and powerful recommendation letters should present your strong candidacy in the best light.

I hope it helped.

Let me know if you have any questions for me.

Poonam

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 16:50
Are you active duty or reserves? It's not real clear from your original post.

Also, keep in mind that your competition is going to be comprised of impressive military officers across all branches, so the trick is to craft your story so you can stand out against that crowd - not the civilian one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 18:22
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am in the National Guard still, plan to resign my commission next year. My intent would be to focus on my leadership experience with the military (and private sector (project manager role)
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 03:45
Expert's post
Hey there jwatson,

Well, as you know a lot will depend on the GMAT, but let's start with your work experience. Without the National Guard/Army service, your profile would been good to average. Your school is fine, as your UG grades, and your work experience is pretty middle of the road. Thankfully though you have some amazing leadership in the military service which should propel your profile way beyond where it would normally allow you to apply to. Schools love military people, and they love leadership. Since they also love very high GMATS ( :) ) if you can get that 720+, I think that you are in the running for any school out there (although H/S/W might still be a bit of a challenge). You can do much better than Carlson, and I would urge to take your shot at better schools before making a decision to attend an MBA, and this is even if you do not improve upon your GMAT score!

So go ahead and take that GMAT, and get back to us with a bit more info about your leadership and achievements. You have a very nice, very strong profile, and with good essays and a good school list, you should see some nice results.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 10:54
Ok, I just got my decision email from Carlson today, and I was admitted for 2015. I don't know what they are offering for scholarship, but know it will be something, at least 50%. Am I crazy to walk away? I just don't get the feeling that they have the consulting placement that I really want access to as a result of an MBA.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 13:01
jwatson0405 wrote:
Ok, I just got my decision email from Carlson today, and I was admitted for 2015. I don't know what they are offering for scholarship, but know it will be something, at least 50%. Am I crazy to walk away? I just don't get the feeling that they have the consulting placement that I really want access to as a result of an MBA.

I wouldn't think you're crazy. It sounds like you threw your application together last minute and got accepted to a top 30-40ish school. Are you happy with that? You only get to do an MBA once, so putting it off a year and putting the necessary time and effort I to the application may be with it. The fact that you're considering not going to Carlson tells me you're not that excited about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 14:45
jwatson0405 wrote:

If consulting is something you really want to do, then in my opinion I would put it off and apply this year to the top 16 schools.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military   [#permalink] 30 May 2013, 14:45