Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jan 2015, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please - PT MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please - PT MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 10:45
Male, 33, Indian
Currently in Dallas, TX. GreenCard holder. (Not sure if the schools care about this)

GMAT: 680 (Q 45,V 38)
Undergraduate: B.Tech : GPA: 3.5

Currently, doing PT MBA at Uty of Texas, Dallas. Completed first semester, now applying for 2nd semester. ( I am not sure if this would be held for or against me)

Experience:13 years (reverse chronological)
1 yr - Manager (at startup)
8 yrs - Mgt Consulting (technical), 3 yrs Manager
2 yrs - Software Development (in India)

Activities (not my strong point so far):
1. Environmental Initiatives, Literacy drives (during college days - leadership role)
2. Currently, sponsoring kids in India thru their college education ( I am not sure if I should claim this since this seems too tachy to put on a resume or essay)
3. Some charity work during my employment but not continous. So, don't want to claim that in my essay.

Goal: Venture Capital/Marketing
Focus Area: Enterpreneur, Marketing (preferably sports marketing)
Target Schools: Still on discovery stage

Short list:
1. Chicago
2. UCLA
3. UT Austin

Can you please also comment on:
1. Usefulness, or lack thereof, of my current UTD PartTime. Would I be able to transfer my credits?
2. Is is better to admit that I have minimal extra-curricular stuff rather than trying to oversell old stuff?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

Re: Profile Evaluation Please - PT MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 07:26
Expert's post
You'll need to have a strong story about why you were doing a PT program and now you want to switch. Schools will definitely ask this, so you'll need to have an answer.

Since you're already 33, trying to sell old community involvement from college won't do you much good. Definitely emphasize what you're doing now (even if you feels it's only so-so) over what ou did a long time ago!

Scott
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please - PT MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 08:33
Thanks for your prompt response. And, I agree with you on both counts.

I am sure the admission folks see all kinds of stories made up on applicant's essays. I like to switch purely because UTD has underwhelmed me so I am looking to be challenged.

Maybe the following question is for a different forum.. but do the essays typical have a fairy tale story of the reasons or are they succinct? Would it be a bad idea to just say that I am looking to switch since UTD didn't challenge me enough?

Again, very much appreciate your feedback on my profile.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

Re: Profile Evaluation Please - PT MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:06
Expert's post
I think the best essays tend to be more real than fairy tale-like. Sometimes people's reasons for wanting to attend b-school are just very mundane -- e.g., I'm a banker, and after two or three years I'm expected to leave and go get my MBA. That's totally fine. They need to be compellig reasons, but definitely make sure they're real reasons!

Scott