Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please, Thanks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please, Thanks [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 09:48
Thank you in advance for the evaluation!

Stats:
GMAT 660 (44q, 36v, 5)
BS GPA 3.24 (CS - top 40 US school)
MS GPA 3.56 (info sys mgmt - top 3 US tech school)
age 27, asian american, bilingual (fluent in both)

Work Experience:
internships (3 months each) - sales at financial services firm, programmer/business analyst at major ibank, engineer at high-tech firm
part time (1 year while in undergrad) - green tech start up
full time (3 years) - major bank - 2 year rotation leadership development program (associate); 1 year (1st rotation) risk management - represented the bank on a multinational consortium; 2 years (2nd rotation and current role) as project manager (junior VP) - lots of interesting projects & experiences (post-merger integrations, asset optimization, expense management, etc..) to share = )

Extra Curricular/Community Service:
school - sports chair of social/culture club (250+ members); academic research - bittorrent (1 year); built and maintained an online social network community for the university (300+ users); school organized business chinese program to Shanghai, China.
work - help built a community that connects analysts/associates across different businesses; peer mentor.
volunteer - Taught high school seniors (8 week program); mentoring a high school student; both via non profit organizations.

goal:
short term - management/strategy consulting - I would like to leverage skills aquired from a problem solving (CS & PM) background to service & improve businesses across different industries
long term - start a service consulting firm (ideal) in China or help grow family manufacturing and real estate investment businesses in China.

Target schools:
Wharton, Booth, CBS, HBS, UCLA, MIT, Yale

Questions:
I understand 660 is far from average at each of the schools i've listed, but I'm not confident that I will score 700+ if I study for 1 or 2 more month.. If retaking GMAT is out of the scope, what're my chances? What can I do to offset this handicap (or others) so I can ultimately gain acceptance to one of the listed schools?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please, Thanks [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 22:16
With a 660, you need two things: exceptional execution on the applications, and good dose of luck (i.e. the adcoms have to "really, really, really" like you, as opposed to just "really" liking you). It's not completely out of reach, but you're skirting the bottom of the middle 80% for many of the schools, and about 20 points or so outside the middle 80% for some of the schools.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please, Thanks [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 19:15
Thanks Alex for the straight forward response. Sounds like the GMAT barrier is my show stopper... I'm determined to give it another go and truely destroy the GMAT next time!

If by some miracle, I pull off a score in the 700 range, will that new score dramatically change my odds? The reason I ask is because I feel that my profile (aside from GMAT) is very average and lacks wow factors, such as biking around the world, making life or death decisions on the battlefield, and starting my own business.

Your inputs are much appreciated. Thanks
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please, Thanks [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 10:50
Yes, it will change your odds. A low-ish GMAT can make for an easy ding by the adcom. With a 700+, you improve your chances significantly of NOT getting dinged. In other words, a low GMAT by itself can keep you out, but a high GMAT by itself won't get you in.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation Please, Thanks   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2009, 10:50