Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please! (Thanks in advance!)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GRE 1: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.14
WE: Architecture (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Profile Evaluation Please! (Thanks in advance!) [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 11:20

GMAT: 680 (86%), 46q (76%), 37v (80%)

Education:

University of Maryland, B.S. in Architecture. 3.2 GPA
Georgia Institute of Technology, M. Architecture, 3.5 GPA

Experience:

I worked 6 months before heading back to grad school at a small architecture firm. In grad school I had summer internships with a large architecture firm (top 200 in size in US). I also worked part time between 12-20 hrs/week in graduate school. Following graduate school I worked for approx 2 years at the same firm I interned with for 2 yrs, before I was laid-off this past March. Since then I have been volunteering at S.O.M.E. one-two days/week.

Extra-Curriculars:

Volunteer, S.O.M.E. Place for Kids, a long-term transition housing programs for under privledged families.
Volunteer; Board of Directors, Landscape Director, Clarendon Dogs. Clarendon Dogs is a local dog-park in an urban area. There is a re-design and re-planning in progress. I work with the city and community to try to help solve each others concerns.
Captain, Maryland Club Baseball Team
Captain, GA Tech Club Baseball Team
Real Estate & Development Club, University of Maryland
American Institute of Architecture Students, University of Maryland

Awards:

Finalist, The John Portman Prize (Best multi-family design project)

While in architecture graduate school I learned what little power architects hold over a project, and how the skills we are taught in school rarely are used because we don't "under stand the rules of the game (development)." I want to get an MBA to learn the skills necessary to understand how real-estate (development) decisions are made. Ultimately, I would like to lead my own development firm to do more then the cookie-cutter crap that gets built in this country.

I'm looking at UNC and UT-Austin for my competitive schools, Vandy as my safety (I guess?), and Columbia and Wharton as my reach. Sound about right? Any advice/comments would be welcomed. Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please! (Thanks in advance!) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 09:47
drew031482 wrote:

GMAT: 680 (86%), 46q (76%), 37v (80%)

Education:

University of Maryland, B.S. in Architecture. 3.2 GPA
Georgia Institute of Technology, M. Architecture, 3.5 GPA

Experience:

I worked 6 months before heading back to grad school at a small architecture firm. In grad school I had summer internships with a large architecture firm (top 200 in size in US). I also worked part time between 12-20 hrs/week in graduate school. Following graduate school I worked for approx 2 years at the same firm I interned with for 2 yrs, before I was laid-off this past March. Since then I have been volunteering at S.O.M.E. one-two days/week.

Extra-Curriculars:

Volunteer, S.O.M.E. Place for Kids, a long-term transition housing programs for under privledged families.
Volunteer; Board of Directors, Landscape Director, Clarendon Dogs. Clarendon Dogs is a local dog-park in an urban area. There is a re-design and re-planning in progress. I work with the city and community to try to help solve each others concerns.
Captain, Maryland Club Baseball Team
Captain, GA Tech Club Baseball Team
Real Estate & Development Club, University of Maryland
American Institute of Architecture Students, University of Maryland

Awards:

Finalist, The John Portman Prize (Best multi-family design project)

While in architecture graduate school I learned what little power architects hold over a project, and how the skills we are taught in school rarely are used because we don't "under stand the rules of the game (development)." I want to get an MBA to learn the skills necessary to understand how real-estate (development) decisions are made. Ultimately, I would like to lead my own development firm to do more then the cookie-cutter crap that gets built in this country.

I'm looking at UNC and UT-Austin for my competitive schools, Vandy as my safety (I guess?), and Columbia and Wharton as my reach. Sound about right? Any advice/comments would be welcomed. Thanks.

This may not be your strongest time to apply, if you had a position it would greatly enhance your application as well as retaking your GMAT (since you have time on your hands). But other than that, I believe you're actually more competitive than you think. I would put UTAustin and UNC as safeties, and I think you can target schools like Ross, Johnson or in that range as your competitive zone.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile Evaluation Please! (Thanks in advance!)   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2009, 09:47