Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please (top 10 schools)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation Please (top 10 schools) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 06:14
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile,
Degree-Industrial engineering and management
GPA-3.55/4, elected class representative of class for the 3rd semester
GMAT-720(Q49,V40)
Work-Family business(Manufacturing), 2.3yrs at the time of joining.
• Developed a 3-year plan for innovative manufacturing technology implementation in collaboration with a Swedish technology company, projected to save the company $ annually and help the company tap a $ billion market for special wind turbine components. Fewer than 5 foundries out of some 3000 foundries in India have this technology.
• Managed a cross-functional team of quality, production and development personnel to implement the above plan. The implementation work took 6 months beginning November 2011.
• Developed an 8-year plan for introducing a new manufacturing process called the full-mould process in consultation with Frost & Sullivan to enter and become leaders in the automotive stamping die market. The introduction of this plan is projected to provide additional revenues of $ million for the period 2012 to 2020.
• Currently manage a cross-functional team of development and production personnel to implement the above plan.
• Travelled to Sweden to negotiate a tri-partite venture to commercialize a patented bi-metal casting technology. This new technology complements the full mould process and is projected to increase the additional revenues of $ million by another 15% and provide savings of $ annually when successfully implemented by mid-2013.
• Created a plan to target the large/offshore wind turbine components market because the wind turbine market is shifting toward larger offshore turbines. The plan involves investments worth $ million spread across 1-year beginning Jan 2013 to retool a part of the plant. Travelled across Europe to scout for new generation foundry machinery. The trip involved meeting prospective vendors to discuss technical specifications and to negotiate the price of the machinery.
• Involved in negotiations to setup joint-ventures in India with Italian companies, although none of them were successful due to adverse market conditions.
• Held negotiations to setup joint-ventures in India with a Japanese company to setup a $million alloy wheel plant and a $million aluminium foundry although it was not successful.

Additionally, I had been involved in the company activities even during college. For eg,travelled to Germany to attend the industrial fair Hannover Messe for marketing and networking purposes.

Extra curriculars:
• Been playing the Indian classical instrument, Tabla since I was 8yrs old. Performed at shows and completed examinations/certifications.
• Been taking part in the family-run charity school since, primary school. I proposed a plan to let out the school premises for concerts on the weekends to raise an additional $15000 annually to meet the needs of the expanding school.

Thank you.

PS:I havent put actual figures as this is a public forum. Hope thats ok.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please (top 10 schools) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Overall you have some very nice stuff in your profile. first, you start off with a rather strong basis in terms of numbers - your GMAT and GPA are a very solid foundation.

Then, next good news is your family business. I understand your reluctance to post numbers on a public forum, but let's just say that if your family business is "Relatively big", and that you are in line to take over as GM,t hen things can look very good for you. We have worked with a number of family business folks from India in the last years and with very nice results.

I would also be very curious to hear about your leadership experience(s) within the family business, as these will be vital to setting you up as future leader. And depending on both your leadership and the fmaily business size, I think you can make a strong case for yourself, and have hope to get accepted at a Top 10 program.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Please (top 10 schools) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 03:41
Jon,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Regarding the scale, the figures I have sighted range from a few hundred thounsand dollars to millions of dollars.
In addition, our family also has real estate investments. I have prepared a 5 month plan in consultation with CB Richard Ellis to develop a logistics park beginning March next yr and a 3yr plan to develop an apartment complex beginning June next yr. Both the projects run into millions of dollars each.
I didn't add the real estate experience I have because I didn't want to sound confused to the adcoms.
Do you think I should add this too, to increase the scale?

Additionally, in terms of scale the family charity school setup in 1989 has seen large investments. We provide free education to about 300 poor children where we provide free food, study material, uniform and also take care of their commute with our school bus. The plan is to triple the scale by 2020.
We also run a separate charity where we provide talented high school grads from the villages with accomodation in Bangalore to attend college here. Here we have about 200 students currently although there is no plan to expand it.

Regarding the leadership skills, I have managed teams to successfully implement the projects listed in my previous post. I have also scouted for suppliers, screened them and presented them to our CEO, and negotiated the technical specs and prices with the approved vendors. I was also a part of 2 man team invited to be panelists/speaker at the Indian Machine Tool Conference this May. I am next in line to take over as the CEO of the companies.

I am applying to Kellogg, Ross and tepper(safe school). In addition I want to apply to one of the H/S/W schools, do you think I have a chance? If not can you suggest me other schools to apply?

Thank you.

P.S:I am already working with you guys on this, I just needed help deciding on the additional schools.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please (top 10 schools) [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 07:57
Expert's post
Well, actually first I'd like to point out that when scale is mentioned, what is more important is size within the market or number of employees. After all you could have a bank with two employees and be talking about millions, but the business would be relatively small. Or you could have a plastic bag factory where the numbers are relatively low money-wise, but it could be huge.... so that is more important...

I think your intuition is right, and you can forget about the real estate. I mean everybody invests nowadays, so just the fact that you have some family money floating around (under my understanding it is not the main aspect of your business), and "investing our money" is not the same as running a business.

the extra charity stuff is also nice, and the schools will be interested in hearing the role you specifically played.

I think applying to Kellogg Ross and Tepper as well as one of the H/S/W is a pretty good strategy to start out with. I might look for one or two other schools to complete the strategy. Actually for "general management" most programs are open for you, so you need to think about other programs that attract you. Otherwise, schools with strong entrepreneurial bases could be good - NYU, Columbia, Babson, Haas...

Look forward to hearing from you!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Please (top 10 schools) [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 22:18
Jon,

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll definitely go with one of the H/S/W and may be haas or columbia.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please (top 10 schools) [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 02:33
Expert's post
Very good! Good luck to you! And if you have any further questions, you know where to find us.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com