Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I take the GMAT or is my GRE Score Enough? UCLA FEMBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GRE 1: 320 Q157 V163
GPA: 3.02
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I take the GMAT or is my GRE Score Enough? UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 08:25
I'm looking at applying to UCLA's FEMBA program for entrepreneurship in Fall of 2015. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Work Experience: 3 years in engineering roles for Medical Device Companies (2 of these years at one of the top 10 largest med device firms). I left this company to return to school full-time and I'm currently working part-time as an engineering consultant for a medical device startup.

Test Scores (GRE): Q: 157 (69th percentile) V: 163 (91st percentile)
I took the GRE instead of the GMAT to go back for my master's, I'm hoping I can re-use these scores instead of having to take the GMAT.

College stats:
B.Sci Mechanical Engineering Technology, Rochester Institute of Technology (2010) GPA: 3.02, Jr/Sr GPA: 3.38 (There are extenuating circumstances that I plan to address)
M.Sci Mechanical Engineering, UC Riverside (Expected 2015) GPA: 3.75

Publications: 3 conference pubs so far, as 2nd and 3rd author.

Extracurriculars: Member of the American Society for Quality, Instructor at a local "hackerspace"

Certifications: None :(

Target Programs: UCLA FEMBA, I'm looking to continue consulting full-time while studying entrepreneurship. This way I'm not bound to a service contract as a W-9 employee and I can capitalize on what I've learned immediately.

Application Timeline: R1 2015

Post-MBA goal: I'm looking to get involved in an early-stage medical device startup. I have a few ideas for devices that I think are feasible (at least from an engineering standpoint). I'm looking to supplement this knowledge with an understanding of the business aspects of what would make an idea worth investing in. Ideally I would launch my own company but I'm not sure if this sounds overly ambitious.

I actually spoke with an admissions representative who told me my GRE scores are solid. I didn't give a sense of the rest of my profile so I'm wondering if "solid" is enough considering other aspects of my application.

Update: I took a practice GMAT and scored 660. I think getting a 660 going in cold is pretty encouraging but I still don't want to waste time studying for a test if it could be better spent writing essays, etc. What do you think?

Also wanted to add-in a thanks for taking the time to do this. :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I take the GMAT or is my GRE Score Enough? UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2014, 12:28
Expert's post
I also consider your GRE scores solid – i.e., more than adequate, actually strong. (The quant is lower, but your educational background will mitigate any issue there.)

You could apply with these scores. Adding a 660-level GMAT score wouldn’t help. The one thing that could help you application further, if it’s feasible, is to take the GMAT and score in the mid 700s—a score up to 720 or so wouldn’t change anything, but a score above that could further strengthen your application. I say “further strengthen” because it already looks good. So it’s a matter of whether you think you could achieve that type of score with a reasonable effort. If not, go with what you’ve got.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog