Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation pls

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: rd1: Haas, Ross ; rd2: ISB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Profile Evaluation pls [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:37
First of all, thank you for taking the time to help us and would appreciate your feedback and answers to some of my queries below

M/Indian
GMAT: 730
Undergrad:GPA 3.3
Short term goals: business development in hi-tech company
Long term goals: enterpreneurship
Extracurriculars:
- 4 yrs non profit
- ran 2 marathons

I understand that I am in a very competitive pool and also that my age would be a concern. I hope to address my age and undergrad GPA concerns by elaborating my personal situation and my ultimate success in the essays.

My questions:
1. Since I just started my application process, should I try to apply for 2011 or take my own time and apply in 2012 but risk being at even higher age

2. What would be my chances of getting into 1.Wharton, 2. MIT, 3. Booth, 4. UCLA, 5.Ross? Would you suggest any other schools. Given my age and the stage of my career, I would like to focus on top15 b-schools with brand and network to ensure my employability after graduation.

3. Any other feedback would be most welcome!

Last edited by gogetter08 on 22 Oct 2010, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation pls [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 15:06
Expert's post
gogetter08 wrote:
First of all, thank you for taking the time to help us and would appreciate your feedback and answers to some of my queries below

M/32/Indian/9 yrs WE as engineer on verge of becoming manager
GMAT: 730 (V38%, Q51%)
Undergrad: IIT GPA 3.3
Grad: Top 20 US univ GPA 3.8
Short term goals: business development in hi-tech company
Long term goals: enterpreneurship
Extracurriculars:
- 4 yrs president+publicity coordinator of non-profiit org, led organizational changes, coordinated publicity events, mentored new volunteers
- 4 years marathon coordinator and team mentor, drove team to raise $200K for developmental projects in India
- ran 2 marathons and raised $10K for charity
- 5 years running my own rental business (landlord)
- started my own real estate investing company which failed after 3 yrs

I've been dealing with a long term personal family problem for 15 years which affected my undergrad GPA, added more family responsiblities on me and also delayed my b-school plans by ~4 yrs. Good news is that I finally resolved my situation (which I consider to be another major achievement of mine) early this year and wont probably be distracted by this.

I understand that I am in a very competitive pool and also that my age would be a concern. I hope to address my age and undergrad GPA concerns by elaborating my personal situation and my ultimate success in the essays.

My questions:
1. Since I just started my application process, should I try to apply for 2011 or take my own time and apply in 2012 but risk being at even higher age

2. What would be my chances of getting into 1.Wharton, 2. MIT, 3. Booth, 4. UCLA, 5.Ross? Would you suggest any other schools. Given my age and the stage of my career, I would like to focus on top15 b-schools with brand and network to ensure my employability after graduation.

3. Any other feedback would be most welcome!

You're most welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

To answer your questions:

1) You have your GMAT, GPA, and work experience. Time is basically working against you. I recommend you do everything you can to apply this year provided you don't compromise the quality of your applications. You can apply to some schools round 1 and some round 2, but don't put it off. You have enough time to develop excellent applications.
2) You have a competitive profile for all the programs on your list. I suspect your age may be more of an issue at Wharton. I would suggest you also consider Haas.
3) You might be interested in:

* MBA Admissions Advice for Older Applicants
* Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Choosing the One for You
* Navigating the MBA Maze.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation pls [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 09:48
Thanks Linda for the prompt and thoughtful feedback.

Could you elaborate on why Haas would be a good option - focus on enterpreneurship or is it friendly towards older age applicants?
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation pls [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 14:11
Expert's post
gogetter08 wrote:
Thanks Linda for the prompt and thoughtful feedback.

Could you elaborate on why Haas would be a good option - focus on enterpreneurship or is it friendly towards older age applicants?

Both. Haasis excellent in entrepreneurship and is friendlier to more experienced applicants.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation pls [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 09:46
Sure Linda, good to know that. I am considering replacing Wharton with Haas. What do you think about my chances at booth? I could use an expert opinion on this since I've had mixed responses so far.
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation pls [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 14:57
Expert's post
gogetter08 wrote:
Sure Linda, good to know that. I am considering replacing Wharton with Haas. What do you think about my chances at booth? I could use an expert opinion on this since I've had mixed responses so far.

You have a competitive profile for both. My gut feeling is that you have a slightly better chance at Haas, but I couldn't point to any specific factor that makes me think so. Choose the one that appeal to you most or apply to both.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553