Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation plz

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation plz [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 11:48
Hi,

Request you to plz evaluate my profile too and suggest further course of action.

My profile is as follows.

23, Male, Indian, Engineer (WOW! ;) )

Will be apping for fall 2009. Started preps on tat.

education:

BTech from Top 10 engineering college in India, 3.26/4.0, 710 (50,35), AWA 6

Work ex:

*worked in a design dept of the indian manufacturing major for 6 months

*Shifted to Sales in the same company and worked there for 18 months

{ At sales:

Achieved almost 200% of targets set

selected among 40 guys by the central marketing team to work along with management consultants to double the sales

made an analysis on our product costing and submitted a report with suggestions to top mgmt which were implemented.

Had the opportunity to travel to remote places in southern india selling stuff to indian government establishments.

Worked with clients from diverse sectors like steel, cement, oil and gas etc.
}

* Got bugged working for a large organization for 2 yrs. Joined a start-up 2 months back which works on advising the small and medium enterprises in India. Took a 25% paycut to join here. Getting a lot of responsibilities here. The startup was formed by eminent personalities with 20+ yrs exp in their field. I am directly reporting to them.

* Presently working on an engagement with a client who is interested in entering a new sector in India and am doing the due diligence for that. A lot of responsibilities.

* Would be working in the technology vertical here (non IT though!) wherein i will contact people with new innovations/technologies and see whether any of it can be commercialized in india.

* Will be one of the two lead organizers of the India China conference organized by this start-up. It will deal with "how small Indian companies can enter China" and benefit from same.

* Will be put on a client from Pakistan and may start interacting with them shortly on their project.

* Involved with quite a few networking events revolving around entrepreneurship and startups in India

hardly any EC's presently. Would get into Dancing. Danced a lot in undergrad and have certs on tat. Love quizzing. Won lots of prizes during undergrad. So would be working only on those 2 activities. No community service. Not interested in joining NGO's etc just for the MBA application process.

Career goals:

Shifting to finance (ibanking/deal structuring/investment management) immediately post mba. In 4-5 yrs Would like to be in a role of investing in early stage technology companies/social entrepreneurship companies after learning nuances of investments/valuations etc.

Targeting:

I would like to join a school good at finance and entrepreneurship.

Stretch -> 2 schools : wharton & chicago GSB

Hopeful -> Any 2 from Duke/Cornell/NYU stern/CMU (Most probably duke and NYU)

Safety -> Any 2 from the long list of purdue/rochestor etc.

I would like to get into a school from stretch/hopeful. Do I have a chance? If not, what kind of schools do I need to target. Can get good professional recos. How does the portfolio look like?

Please advice.

regards
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation plz [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 18:10
Expert's post
rpradeephere wrote:
Hi,

Request you to plz evaluate my profile too and suggest further course of action.

My profile is as follows.

23, Male, Indian, Engineer (WOW! ;) )

Will be apping for fall 2009. Started preps on tat.

education:

BTech from Top 10 engineering college in India, 3.26/4.0, 710 (50,35), AWA 6

Work ex:

*worked in a design dept of the indian manufacturing major for 6 months

*Shifted to Sales in the same company and worked there for 18 months

{ At sales:

Achieved almost 200% of targets set

selected among 40 guys by the central marketing team to work along with management consultants to double the sales

made an analysis on our product costing and submitted a report with suggestions to top mgmt which were implemented.

Had the opportunity to travel to remote places in southern india selling stuff to indian government establishments.

Worked with clients from diverse sectors like steel, cement, oil and gas etc.
}

* Got bugged working for a large organization for 2 yrs. Joined a start-up 2 months back which works on advising the small and medium enterprises in India. Took a 25% paycut to join here. Getting a lot of responsibilities here. The startup was formed by eminent personalities with 20+ yrs exp in their field. I am directly reporting to them.

* Presently working on an engagement with a client who is interested in entering a new sector in India and am doing the due diligence for that. A lot of responsibilities.

* Would be working in the technology vertical here (non IT though!) wherein i will contact people with new innovations/technologies and see whether any of it can be commercialized in india.

* Will be one of the two lead organizers of the India China conference organized by this start-up. It will deal with "how small Indian companies can enter China" and benefit from same.

* Will be put on a client from Pakistan and may start interacting with them shortly on their project.

* Involved with quite a few networking events revolving around entrepreneurship and startups in India

hardly any EC's presently. Would get into Dancing. Danced a lot in undergrad and have certs on tat. Love quizzing. Won lots of prizes during undergrad. So would be working only on those 2 activities. No community service. Not interested in joining NGO's etc just for the MBA application process.

Career goals:

Shifting to finance (ibanking/deal structuring/investment management) immediately post mba. In 4-5 yrs Would like to be in a role of investing in early stage technology companies/social entrepreneurship companies after learning nuances of investments/valuations etc.

Targeting:

I would like to join a school good at finance and entrepreneurship.

Stretch -> 2 schools : wharton & chicago GSB

Hopeful -> Any 2 from Duke/Cornell/NYU stern/CMU (Most probably duke and NYU)

Safety -> Any 2 from the long list of purdue/rochestor etc.

I would like to get into a school from stretch/hopeful. Do I have a chance? If not, what kind of schools do I need to target. Can get good professional recos. How does the portfolio look like?

Please advice.

regards

rpradeephere,

My apologies for the late reply. Though you are a young guy you have an impressive professional profile and a distinctive one, which counts for a lot when you are competing with other academically strong Indian males. The lack of extracurriculars hurts you, but you could compensate for it by taking advantage of the fact that you are not long out of college and emphasizing your college extracurriculars (assuming you had some). Then just focus on telling leadership and impact stories from your work life and keep making it clear how you are outside the norm in terms of your career path. If you do all that you could do well at several of your hopefuls, but the age and lack of extracurriculars will make Chicago and Wharton unfeasible in my eyes. But worst case is you will get dinged and can come back next year, still young, and with a stronger application.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog