Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:35

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation -plz

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 8

Profile evaluation -plz [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 12:18
Sir/Madam,

I would appreciate if you could evaluate my profile and provide your honest feedback

Target schools
1) Wharton
2) Kellogs
3) NYU
4) Tuck
5) HEC Paris
6) ISB India

GMAT:710

Academics
1) Bachelor of Engineering from Anna University a top 10 tech university in India with GPA 3.3
2) Stood 64th among 150000 candiadates in the state level Engg admissions exam
3) Certified in Investments Planning,Insurance planning & Risk Management by Financial Planning Standards Board
4) Appeared for CFA level 1 in Dec 2007 (CFA Institute ,US)

Work Experience
1) 3.5 yrs as IT Consultant in a CMM level 5 ,asia's largest IT consultancy services company (will be 4+ yrs while applying)
2) 2 yrs out of 3.5 yrs experience in project and program management(Lead roles) in Quality Assurance dept for IT initiatives of various criticalities and sizes for Insurance and telecom companies
3) Certified Manager -QA by International Software Testing Qualification Board
4) Currently Leading a team of 12 associates
5) Experience in process re-engineering for Largest Insurance and telecom companies in North America.Exposure in e-TOM process mapping and worked in creating industry standard business process for one of the largest telecom provider of North America
6) Worked in various geographies(India,Canada & UK) and with various level of employees from Client companies
7) Promoted under fast track to IT Analyst Designation from ASE in three yrs which actually will take 4.5 - 5 yrs.

Leadership & Achievement
1) Serving an NGO as President and founder chairman .The NGO comprising 300 volunteers, 17 office bearers and 4 full time workers. 21 of them directly reports to me.We work in employing the unpreviledged through social entreprenuership, vocational training and also for Anti -corruption.
2) Served as President,ECE Association a student body in my college
3) Leading the corporate social responsibility team of my company
4) Youth Leadership Award winner from Rotary consecutive for two yrs during my high school

Short personal profile

I am 25 yrs old and currently working as an IT consultant in Toronto.I strongly believe in continual learning which led me to study part time in parallel with my work.I am a strong result oriented individual and worked towards sustainable results in both my professional and social life through defined process.

Please evaluate my profile in scope of admissions into these schools.Also specify if you find any gaps that has to be filled in getting admission to these top schools.I am only focussed on getting into tier 1 top 15 schools in the world.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 16:12
Expert's post
What do you plan to do after school? That will impact where you should apply and what your chances are.

Scott
Manager
Manager

Post subject: Profile evaluation -plz [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 16:50
Hi .

Thanks for looking into the profile.I wanted a balanced professional and social career.passionate in doing Strategic consulting jobs and also expand my NGO in social entreprenuerships ,SMBs
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2007, 16:18
Expert's post
Overall, I think you have a pretty strong profile. As you probably know, being an Indian with an IT background puts you into a very crowded, competitive pool of applicants. But having extensive NGO experience (and hopefully being able to show how you truly have passion for these causes) should help you stand out.

If you still want to continue your non-profit work, also consider Yale and Haas, two of the U.S.'s top schools in this area.

Your career goals post-MBA still sound vague to me, though. You want to do management consulting AND non-profit work? One or the other? Do consulting for NGOs? You'll really need to be clear on this when you apply. Jut speaking in vague terms and generalities will be a sure way to turn off admissions officers. You don't need to know exactly what you want to do for the next 10 years, but the more specific you can be, the better.

If you want to get a better feel for what schools you should target, use the Veritas Prep Business School Selector to help you choose a business school.

Scott

Last edited by quixx23 on 02 Jan 2008, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Profile evaluation -plz [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 17:20
Thanks Scott for your valuable advise.

The NGO that i am now involved in will be part of my life irrespective of my career changes.Please advise how best i can convey this.
Expert Post

Re: Profile evaluation -plz [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 11:13
Expert's post
You will need to yse your essays and your interview to convey this. Just be sure to make clear what are your career objetcives (the things that you need an MBA to accomplish) and, separately, what are your passions in terms of community service.

Scott