Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation preceding GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 81

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation preceding GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 15:34
Hi,
This is a slightly different question from what is generally being asked.

I am preparing for my GMAT but had some questions, which i will put up after i've summarized my profile.

CGPA - 3.67 in Instrumentation and Control Engineering
Experience - 13 months in railway transportation industry

Work Experience:
10 Months - I was working as railway engineer in Bangalore (which is an off shore office) working on London underground and Mainline projects.
3 Months - Now working in Toronto as systems engineer on an advanced technology of driverless trains, working of Projects in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, US etc.

A Promotion is due next year after which i might be leading a team.

Awards:
1st - Research Paper on 'Train movement and comparison with calculus'
Was supposed to present it in stockholm but got an offer from this firm in Canada where i am working right now.

Articles:
'Making Driverless trains a reality' - To be published in an international magazine

Academics:
Projects:
1. Built an unmanned airplane prototype and represented india in a competition in the US. The competition was held by SAE and NASA. Secured 19th place out of 75 countries participating. (took 10 months to execute)
2. Built a Car prototype using gesture technology - Sensing hand movements and steering vehicle. (Thesis Project)

Internships
1. 2 Internships of 2 months each. Not as an intern but a Systems overview Engineer. Both in the field of railway engineering.

Community Service:
appointed by UNO to carry out the work of breast awareness and supporting NGOs in Mauritus. 2 months extensive community service. I was a management internee there. worked on their annual project reports and fund raising reports. produced statistical data with its analysis for mauritian government.

Sports
National Chess Player

My question here is, when according to you is the right time to give GMAT? considering that i'm 22 years old now. Also how do you think i can work towards improving my profile so that it stands out from the general profiles that a b-school gets to see. what is the minimum score that i should secure to be able to at least apply to the best b-schools.

sorry it isn't a post gmat question but rather a pre gmat one. I hope you'd be able to help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation preceding GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey dude,

First of all, it's great that you are asking this question so early! And much better before than after. It's maybe a bit early for me to evaluate you, but I can definitely give you some tips on moving forward.

So first of all, when to take the GMAT: When you are ready. Basically, if possible, you want to get the best score you can the first time around. There's no advantage to taking the test in a sort of "I'll take it and see what happens". FIRST you study for six months and then you take the test, and THEN if it doesn't happen the first time, you study more and retake.

Second, regarding what ELSE you can do: The single most important thing is your career. Doing very well there (quick promotions, important responsibilities, moving to better positions, fantastic achievements) are what will boost your profile more than anything else. In addition, taking any sort of leadership position you have the opportunity to take, in work or out will be very helpful. Finally, all along make sure you have at least one good solid volunteer position, and preferably one with leadership.

That's the place to start.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 81

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Profile Evaluation preceding GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 14:41
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey dude,

First of all, it's great that you are asking this question so early! And much better before than after. It's maybe a bit early for me to evaluate you, but I can definitely give you some tips on moving forward.

So first of all, when to take the GMAT: When you are ready. Basically, if possible, you want to get the best score you can the first time around. There's no advantage to taking the test in a sort of "I'll take it and see what happens". FIRST you study for six months and then you take the test, and THEN if it doesn't happen the first time, you study more and retake.

Second, regarding what ELSE you can do: The single most important thing is your career. Doing very well there (quick promotions, important responsibilities, moving to better positions, fantastic achievements) are what will boost your profile more than anything else. In addition, taking any sort of leadership position you have the opportunity to take, in work or out will be very helpful. Finally, all along make sure you have at least one good solid volunteer position, and preferably one with leadership.

Thank you so much . That was quite a bit. But there are two things that i constantly have in my mind:
1. I wanna purse MMSc (Masters in Managent Sciences) part time from canada itself, before I apply for the MBA. Will it give my profile any kind of boost?
2. How can i make my application stand out when i'm not from a finance or consulting background( which is the most preferred pool of applicants for them) ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation preceding GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey dude,

Thank you so much . That was quite a bit. But there are two things that i constantly have in my mind:
1. I wanna purse MMSc (Masters in Managent Sciences) part time from canada itself, before I apply for the MBA. Will it give my profile any kind of boost?
2. How can i make my application stand out when i'm not from a finance or consulting background( which is the most preferred pool of applicants for them) ?

Glad to help!

1. Not really. (from an MBA perspective) although you might learn good things.
2. There's no one answer here really. What shall I say? be amazing! be unique! (it's too easy to say that). Maybe the one thing is whatever you choose (teaching, biologist, salesman, etc. etc.) just try and be the best at it, and they will recognize this.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!