Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - R1 2014

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - R1 2014 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 03:34
Hi,

I will apply to a couple of programs during the following weeks and would be glad to get your point of view on my profile:

Age at matriculation: 27
Nationality: Eastern Europe

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
I work as a Commodity Trader in Western Europe. Have been a trader assistant for 1.5years and have been promoted as a Trader a couple of moth ago (firm specialized in petroleum products). (i will have ca. 3 years of professional experience at matriculation + 8 months of internships)

2) Your GMAT.
680 (Q48/V35) but i plan to retake in 3 weeks to improve the verbal part and get 710+

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
Graduated from a EU B+level business school (master in management) with average grades

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
2 years as an active member in a student organization / lot of spot (running/marathons)

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
N/A

6) Your target programs.
Dream Schools: Columbia / Booth / Kellogg / Wharton / LBS

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

I plan to apply ED at Columbia & R1 2014 to the other programs i mentioned above

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Investment banking or M&A

I also speak fluently 3 languages and am learning a fourth one / I lived in 3 different countries,

I would be grateful if you could give me a feedback on my chances !

Thank you in advance ;)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - R1 2014 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 05:03
Thank you for your posting.

The biggest challenges to your application are (a) you are part of a competitive demographic, (b) you come from an industry that is over-represenated in business school admissions and (c) your GMAT score. Adding to this mix is that you are applying to very competitive programs, with many more qualified applicants than there are open spaces.

To be competitive at the schools you are targeting, I recommend re-taking your GMAT, applying ED/R1 to all the schools and investing in preparing very competitive applications -- with strong essays, recommendations, resume and the like. To be honest, you have not room for error in this process (given the schools you are targeting) and every aspect has to be up to standards.

As for your chances at these programs, I would classify you as a potentially competitive candidate -- but right now there are just too many unknowns -- especially your GMAT and application quality.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - R1 2014 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 10:18
ManhattanReview wrote:
Thank you for your posting.

The biggest challenges to your application are (a) you are part of a competitive demographic, (b) you come from an industry that is over-represenated in business school admissions and (c) your GMAT score. Adding to this mix is that you are applying to very competitive programs, with many more qualified applicants than there are open spaces.

To be competitive at the schools you are targeting, I recommend re-taking your GMAT, applying ED/R1 to all the schools and investing in preparing very competitive applications -- with strong essays, recommendations, resume and the like. To be honest, you have not room for error in this process (given the schools you are targeting) and every aspect has to be up to standards.

As for your chances at these programs, I would classify you as a potentially competitive candidate -- but right now there are just too many unknowns -- especially your GMAT and application quality.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very useful. I am taking the GMAT at the end of the month and expect to score between 710 & 750.

I just would like to ask you for one precision: what do you exactly mean by ''competitive demographic''? I guess you refer to my eastern european nationality. Do you think that it is "easier" for somebody with a Western European nationality (vs Eastern) to get accepted?
I actually thought that people from Poland; Bielorussia; Ukraine etc. were pretty much under-represented in US MBA compared to French, German etc.; and that my nationality might rather be an advantage than a disadvantage,

Thank you in advance for your answer :)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - R1 2014 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 11:36
I can only give you my perception of the admissions landscape.

Your perception of the number of applicants from CEE is dated -- the number of candidates from this region has increased pretty signficantly over the past few years. I confirmed this fact with our admissions director, who after business school lived in Poland and Russia and seems to have been very successful in helping candidates from CEE get accepted to premier programs. He did say that it is particularly competitive if you are from Russia and Turkey.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - R1 2014 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 11:47
ManhattanReview wrote:

Your perception of the number of applicants from CEE is dated -- the number of candidates from this region has increased pretty signficantly over the past few years. I confirmed this fact with our admissions director, who after business school lived in Poland and Russia and seems to have been very successful in helping candidates from CEE get accepted to premier programs. He did say that it is particularly competitive if you are from Russia and Turkey.

Okey I got your point! Thank you for the feedback :)
Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - R1 2014 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 10:53
ManhattanReview wrote:

I just also forgot to ask you if you think i should retake the TOEFL before applying? (i scored 106 a couple of month ago)

Thanks in advance! :)
Re: Profile Evaluation - R1 2014   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2013, 10:53