Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Real Estate, Hotels, and an MBA!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: In: Emory, USC, Georgetown Out: Harvard, Wharton, Yale, UCLA WL: Kellogg
WE 1: Manager @ Fortune 100
WE 2: Manager @ World Famous Hotel
WE 3: Division Leader @ Real Estate Firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Profile Evaluation: Real Estate, Hotels, and an MBA! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 09:06
Hi all,

I am 25 years old, will be 26 when school starts should I get in. My "stats" are below:

- 3.25 cumulative GPA from The George Washington University, with a major in International Affairs, concentration: East Asia. I studied abroad in Tokyo and am fluent in Japanese.

- During university, interned at The Ritz Carlton

- Accepted into management training program with The Walt Disney Company. Spent 1 year as a Front Desk Manager at 2 hotel properties.
- Left Disney for re-opening of The Plaza in NYC. Took position as opening Front Desk Manager.
- Spent 8 months at The Plaza...decided I was more interested in the development/real-estate side of hotels and left for REDAC, Inc, a Japanese real estate company.
- Promoted after 1 year at REDAC, after proposing a new division be created. Now work as an Asset Manager, as head of that division, managing buildings functioning as extended stay hotels for Japanese corporate clients. Advise on hotel operations and oversee all building aspects, including renovations.

- Paper Practice tests (Kaplan, Manhattan, McGraw Hill, etc): 650-720
- Practice CAT Exam (Manhattan GMAT): 42Q, 38V: 680

Target Schools:

USC
UCLA
Stanford
Georgetown
Emory
Vanderbilt

My goal is to embark on a career in hotel development.

So, do I have a shot?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation: Real Estate, Hotels, and an MBA! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 20:43
Expert's post
Brian,

"So, do I have a shot." In a word, yes. You've had an interesting career progression and it looks like you will be within shouting distance of the GPA/GMAT averages at the programs listed. Stanford is going to be a stretch, but don't take that personally - it's a stretch for almost everyone. The rest of the list shows a good mix of ambition and restraint.

The key for you is going to be how well you execute your career vision in your essays. You have to really use your interest in hotel management to your advantage - let it help you stand out while still giving admissions officers reassurances that you can easily move from "here to there." So cultivating those essays are going to be mission critical.

Let me ask you - when do you plan to apply? This season? Which round(s)? Do you have a GMAT test date set up? If you are going to be buckling down on your essays in the near future, I highly recommend talking to an experienced consultant to make sure you can take your raw materials and put them into the proper language for the admissions offices.

Let us know if we can help. Shoot me a PM if you want to explore a consultation.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton