Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Reapplicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 14:32
Hi,

I recently applied to Haas(Round 4) dinged with no interview and Stanford(Round 3) dinged after interview.

I really want to go to either school and hope to apply again next year. Here's my profile. Please give me some advice on how I can strengthen my application or if I should just forget it.

If I should forget these two then where else do you recommend?

I am a 24 year old Asian female international student. I have a 3.67 GPA. I graduated from a mediocre state school in Civil Engineering. GMAT 660.

I was the president of the civil engineering honor society, editor of the college magazine, coach of a cheerleading team, and a couple other activities revolving around these societies. Studied abroad, been in an innovation competition.

Currently, I work for a general contractor as a project engineer. I just graduated one year ago so by next year I'll have two years experience in project management. We do very high profile infrastructure jobs. Before that, I interned for a multinational civil engineering design firm.

Ever since working I've been busy with one thing after another. First I was studying to get licensed as an EIT. Then I was studying for GMAT (which I think if I retake I can do better on). Then I was working on my applications which explains why I did the last round for both Haas and Stanford.

I want an MBA because it would really help me in my project management career. Also, I want to get involved in public management (like running projects at BART or Caltrans). I also want to start up a construction related business and work on helping women in engineering.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 15:06
twny you will find this thread useful from a reapplicants POV :
2008-zero-admits-where-are-they-now-77761.html

I'm not quite the expert that Alex is but IMHO your profile is strong and interesting. However, you might have left the application to very late in the process.

The very best of luck for next year.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 17:38
Two things:

(1) Apply in Round 1 this upcoming year.

(2) Retake the GMAT.

These were the two things that really hurt you (applying late, with a mediocre GMAT for your target schools). If you want to target a top 16 school, you need around a 680 or higher (and ideally above 700) to be safe.

On the surface, it seems like you have an interesting enough story to tell, so I'd give Stanford and Berkeley another shot. Stanford is a stretch for just about everyone, but assuming you apply early with a higher GMAT, then it's at least worth giving it a shot.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 14:37
Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding.

What else can I do to improve my application?

So if I retake the GMAT and raise my score to over 700, are my chances still slim to none or do you think I have a decent shot?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Reapplicant [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 09:05
As I said in my previous post, reapply to Stanford and Haas in Round 1 this year.

And don't suck on the essays and interviews. That's about all you can do -- you can't change who you are in a few months; you don't accomplish great things overnight. You are who you are *now*, and if you want to change or improve who you are (i.e. become even more accomplished) -- that takes years, not months.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation - Reapplicant   [#permalink] 25 May 2009, 09:05