Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - reapply? or go Tier 2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation - reapply? or go Tier 2 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 03:25
Thank you for evaluating my profile.

Female, graduated magna cum laude from a top 20 private University, GPA 3.9, phi beta kappa.
GMAT 680.
4.5 years work experience in communications, 2 years with consumer products clients at a big firm, 2.5 with a small company working with big nonprofits/foundations on global issues.
I'm interested in public-private partnerships/CSR positions after getting my MBA.

Strength: undergrad record, interesting work experience
Weakness: lack of quant/math background, below average math GMAT

I have been accepted into Georgetown's MBA program starting this fall, and am trying to decide whether to attend or to wait a year and reapply to top 5 schools. I interviewed at Harvard, NYU and Columbia during round 2 this year, but got rejected at the first two and waitlisted at Columbia.

If I wait and reapply, I plan to take intro finance/accounting night classes at Columbia's continuing ed school and work to raise my GMAT (the math score is what's dragging it down). I will also have received a raise and a job promotion since I applied last time, and will apply first round in the fall.

I am hesitant to accept at Georgetown given its low ranking, but it does have a good CSR program and is located in DC, which will help build my government sector contacts. On the flip side, if I wait a year and reapply to top five schools, I risk losing a spot altogether for business school, and I'm starting to edge into the older age range (27) for school.

Do you think my reapplication will be strong enough to get into a top 5 school? Do you think Georgetown's reputation is good enough that I shouldn't risk losing out?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation - reapply? or go Tier 2 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 09:04
For what you're planning on going into (social responsibility/public sector) it's probably not going to make a huge difference -- Georgetown is known for it, it's in the ideal location (DC), and so you likely won't have a harder or easier time finding a job in that area compared to someone who went to a higher ranked school.

From your profile, you do have a shot at schools like Columbia and NYU, even with the profile you have as it is (although sure a higher GMAT would help and a course or two in college-level calculus that you can take through some extension program/night class) -- however, the fact that you got interviewed and waitlisted at one of them suggests that you were certainly in the mix -- you were close. So I wouldn't say it's just the numbers alone - but that your application could've been even stronger.

It's really a personal decision whether you want to wait another year. If your GMAT is 700+ and you take 1-2 courses in calculus/stats/econ/whatever math/ *and* you do an even better job on your application (including interviews), then you probably should be competitive for schools like Columbia, NYU, etc. and schools like HBS are a stretch (but still within reach). But there's still a risk that you won't get in - it can be a very subjective process, and for someone like yourself where it seems like the decision (admit/ding) could really go either way.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile evaluation - reapply? or go Tier 2   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2010, 09:04