Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
It's not a math competition, nor is it about high test scores beyond a certain threshold (which you've achieved).

I hate sounding fatalistic, but the only way you can improve your chances is to change one of two things: being Indian, or being an engineer. But being both makes it much much harder especially at the top 8 schools.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Hi Alex,

Hope my question is not so silly as my curiosity is.

Can you just give some idea on what kind of combination works more for an indian student at these b-schools?

I know its tooooo general question , what i hv heard in last two years isthat H/W/S has started being selective for the category of engineers ( no offences intended at all ) especially from india , because there is a huge flow of engineers with high GMAT scores applying at these schools.

In the above profile evaluation u said " your chances is to change one of two things: being Indian, or being an engineer", if being enginner is removed then do you think a 700+ might stand some more chance ( all other things remaining constant )

I know what i asked is too general , the only purpose is to understand the dynamics of undergrads and its effects within the same nationality ( irrespective of score )

thanks very much... hope i didnt ask too much.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
How many Indian nationals applying are NOT engineers? It's a bit of a moot point since by the time you're in a position to be applying to b-school, it's too late to change what you've done so far (i.e. your college major, your work experience, etc.).

The Indian nationals who tend to be more successful in the b-school admissions process worked in investment banking or mgmt consulting in the US and Europe (i.e. similar to any other banker/consultant of any nationality) -- and yes, these folks probably come from a different background than most Indian engineers. They grew up in the Middle East, they are from wealthier backgrounds, they went to the top schools in the US and Europe (or had families that could afford to send them there), and so forth.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Thanks Alex... I was sure that you are the only person with such a rich experience in admission consulting who could answer this hardly discussed question ... i asked non engineer because i am not engineer :)

Thanks very much again
GMAT Club Bot