Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago, Duke, UCLA, Upenn
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 02:25
Hello Scott and Omari,

It would be great to get your thoughts on my profile. Thanks in Advance.

Basic stats:
27yr old Asian Male
GMAT: 700(Q50, V35)
Undergraduate GPA:3.29
Graduate GPA: 3.78

Education:
Bachelors in Business (Finance) from a small state school and a MS in Finance from a near elite school

Work Experience:
Total of 4 years experience. 3 years of experience at a mid-sized regional bank. I started as an investment analyst and was promoted to associate portfolio manager a year later. I currently manage a team of two analysts and will have two years of experience in a leadership role. My experience ranges from managing an investment position to representing the bank by working with auditors and regulatory authorities. Previously, I spent a year working in a non-profit where I participated in educational grants to develop finance education for high school and college students in my home town.

Extracurricular Activities:
-Mentor and industry contact for the finance education organization that I had previously worked with
-Alumni interviewer for my undergrad and grad schools
-Completed all 3 CFA exams

Other:
I faced a life threatening illness that impacted my undergraduate studies. When I recovered, I gained a new sense of appreciation for life and pursued more challenging opportunities.

Post MBA plans:
Portfolio and investment strategy for a global asset manager. I am very interested in being a part of an asset manager that invests globally and across multiple asset classes.

Considered Schools:
Wharton, Booth, Sloan, Anderson, Stern, and USC.

Concerns:
I already have a lot of business/finance education with undergraduate and graduate degrees in finance along with the knowledge from the CFA. However, I believe an MBA program will yield a totally different experience and will help me develop a different set of skills.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 05:52
You can use your previous finance and business education to your advantage by showing that you have a full understanding of your chosen career path. Admissions committees prefer applicants that have a context in which to learn MBA business principles. This allows the applicant/student to get the most out of the MBA education.

When applying to business schools, focus on what attracted you to the program and the aspects of the program that will complement your current knowledge base. For example, Wharton emphasizes innovation and action-oriented, global learning. You should be able to communicate how the learning approach as well as the areas of concentration will prepare you for the next phase of your career.

Scottie
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.