Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.9
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 19:33
Hey Stacy: I would appreciate if you can share your comments on the following based on my profile:
1. General profile evaluation
2. Any more schools than those I have mentioned that I should target
3. Chances of getting financial aid

Indian Male, Age 33
Undergraduate electrical engineering from an IIT
GMAT 710 (Q50, V37)
9+ years of experience including
- first 2 years at a small firm in the field of patent services
- Next 3 years as as entrepreneur in the field of patent services and consulting; the entrepreneurial stint did not turn out to be successful but was a great experience, hence had to get back to a job
- 9 months at a business research firm
- last 3+ years in the Intellectual Property (IP) analytics division of a Fortune 5 oil and gas firm based in India; focusing on analysing new and existing technologies in the energy sector

Target schools: McCombs, Mays (TAMU)

Strengths:
1. My work ex is very different from a typical Indian IT male
2. Entrepreneurial experience - I can a lot about experiences during this period in my essays and interview

Weaknesses:
1. Low Undergrad GPA (Can a 710 counter that?)
2. NO significant Extracurriculars, though I have somethings to show
3. Above average age for 2 year programs

I want to continue in the energy industry after MBA but would like to change my function from IP to something else like future energy evaluation, VC etc.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 10:48
Expert's post
Hi surevyas,

Regarding other schools to apply to, if you are interested in alternative energy and potentially the VC industry, you may want to look into schools in California. Particularly in Northern California, the industry is growing quite rapidly.

For your undergraduate record, you should not be too concerned. As you progress in your career, admissions teams focus less on your GPA and more on your work experience.

With your application, remember that admissions teams are looking for leadership experience and for individuals who have made an impact. Here is a case study that should provide some insight:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.9
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 11:16
Hi Stacy:

Thanks for your response. I have a few more questions.

1. You mention "..admissions teams are looking for leadership experience and for individuals who have made an impact..". I have not held leadership positions in organisations I have worked in but I have been an entrepreneur for 3 years which has exposed me to a variety of experiences in leading a company although even in my startup we didn't have a big team. So I do not have per se experience of leading a big team. How does that stand?

2. Any comments about the returns of investment in a 2 year MBA at this stage of my career (and when I also have a family to look after)? An MBA now means leaving out on 2 years of salary and also adding a loan to pay back after 2 years! I know there is no right answer to this question and it depends on a lot of personal factors but I just wanted to know your comments based on your experiences.

Thanks in advance.