Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 05:42
Hi,

Thank you for the time taken in evaluating my profile. I would request you suggest me some universities for pursuing my MBA in US or Canada for admission in the fall of 2013.

I am an Indian aged 24. I have two years of experience in the field of business development( Energy sector) from Essar group, one of the top conglomerates in India.

I have a gpa of 8.5 in Indian standard in Engineering ( Electrical and Electronics).Also have >90% in my school education.

I have given my GMAT and secured a score of 760( Quants 50 and verbal 42) in my first attempt. I am looking at a top institution which could also give me a decent enough grant or scholarship as otherwise education becomes so expensive.

Kindly suggest.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 17:25
Expert's post
Hi there,

Impressive GMAT score - congrats! Your academic profile is very strong, so you're off to a good start. Your work experience in the energy industry BD is also very interesting. Two years, however, is on the lower end of experience in terms of other candidates... it's often times not enough time to demonstrate your leadership capacity, which is quite important in this process. I also don't see any mention of community or extracurricular activities, which will definitely be a gap in your profile.

With all this in mind, I would suggest that you wait one or two years to develop a stronger leadership profile (inside and outside of work), and then apply to top programs. If, however, you prefer to apply now, you'll have to target a wide range of schools -- you could have one or two top tier programs (Berkeley, Columbia) on your list, two or three targets (Ross, Darden, Duke) and one or two safeties (Cornell, Tepper). As for financial aid, this is quite difficult to attain as an international student. There may be chances for scholarship, but you'll have to research these on a case-by-case basis.

I hope this is helpful,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern

Re: profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 23:04
Hi,
Thank you for the reply. I do have the following to my name when it comes to extra curricular and social activities

I was also part of two other organizations.
First is an organization whose objective is to create awareness among the rural growth, men or women on the status of natural resources i.e., the lakes, ponds, sacred grove and the roll of the community in the development of the resources and to sensitize the rural communities on increasing food borne diseases, its relationship with excessive use of pesticides and developing alternatives in inorganic fertilizers and integrated pest management. They also have 15 hectare organic farm where training is held for farmers in the area of seed production, water management, integrated pest management, collective processing and marketing of oranic produce.
I was involved in working and in studying the effective land use in a 15 hectare organic farm and training centre in Pudukkottai district, Tamil Nadu in incorporating trees, shrubs and crops. I also involved myself in studying the role of the community in developing and managing a multispecies plantation established by the community in 1990. In the subsequent year I participated in studying the role of the people in maintaining the community water shed of 120 hectare.
The second is an organization whose work spans over the fields of day care centre for the aged, counseling centre and short stay home for women among others. As part of the organization I participated in the regular activities like taking care of the aged, and helping the children in the destitute homes . There I have helped in training the children to observe discipline and good conduct. I have also participated in the AIDS awareness programme and in the counseling centre which are aimed at creating awareness of the disease among the sex workers of the region and also among rickshaw, lorry drivers who are the main participants and in the rehabilitation of those infected with the disease especially the CSW of the region.

Also I looked at colleges such as Texas A& M, Wisconsin school of business, Schulich school of business(York university of canada)and Sam Walton school of business( University of Arkansas, Freyetville), National University of Singapore. What do you suggest on these colleges? Can I go forward with applying to these colleges( Comparatively less fee structure) or do you suggest me build up my profile and apply later. And also Tepper and Cornell .Will they be my safety? They are good colleges and one of my dream institutions and the fee structure is on the higher side. But the placements in those colleges are on the lower side in 70%. Because that will be one of my main concerns as my education will be covered on loans. and being an international student that burden is even higher. Please guide on this issue

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 14:46
Expert's post
You can definitely move forward with the schools that you have named - you should be able to get into those programs without much difficulty, I would think. I think you could definitely apply to Tepper and Cornell - they are more competitive than the programs you listed, but you should be competitive at these schools.

Best of luck!
Mili
Intern
Intern

Re: profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 21:48
Those schools that I have listed, they are also good schools right? Or should I not apply and try only for the more competitive schools( Tepper, Johnson, Kellogg). Kindly suggest.

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 10:06
Expert's post
I'd say that Wisconsin and Arkansas are not reputed programs. The others are ok, but not stellar. Tepper, Cornell are MUCH stronger programs, and Kellogg blows these programs out of the water. Take a look at rankings across Business Week, Financial Times, The Economist and U.S. News and World Report to get a better sense for it.

Good luck,
Mili