Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:04
Hello,

I would need help in evaluating my profile for my application at following 4 schools:

a) London Business School
b) IMD
c) INSEAD
d) HEC.

I have taken one round of GMAT already (Total : 610 Q: 44 V: 33), and intend to take it again next month. I'll be eligible to apply at 3 schools in the next round of deadlines (post my second attempt at GMAT) for the current intake, except for LBS, for which I"ll need to submit my application at dismal 610 itself. Nevertheless, hoping for a miracle considering other better parts of my application.

Following are the details about my work experience and international exposure:

Gender and ethnicity: Female, India.
Total work experience: 7+ years (will be 8 by the time I start my MBA)
Industry: Telecommunications and internet technologies
Areas of expertise: Business Development, Product Management, Project Management.
Previous companies: 2 Fortune 500 European conglomerates - from Sweden and UK respectively
International Exposure: Work stints of 4-6 months each at China, Sweden and UK. Extensive experience in working with multi-geographic, multi-cultural teams.
Notable Achievements: Part of leadership and trainee program aimed for fast trackers at my last company.
Community work: Nil, though I do have a strong network of global audience for my blogs. (It has since been closed for public).
Education: Under-graduation: Mass Media (70%; GPA would be dismal, and the University does not provide percentile rankings). Well known National University. Post-Graduation: MBA (70%; Same argument against GPA) From a local school. Not too high a ranking. Immediately after my graduation, without any full time work experience.

I am hoping that my educational background would not carry as much weight, since I've spent a long time out of school with a stellar work experience record. In addition, I have been blessed with 2 really amazing recommenders, who have spent close to 20+ intensive hours each in providing the best recommendations I could possibly have hoped for.

I have following queries:
a) What would be an optimal GMAT score (target for my second attempt) for each of the mentioned schools?
b) What do you reckon of my chances with my current score (610), especially at LBS?
c) How can I improve my application further?

Any insight would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 07:18
Expert's post
Hi there. Thanks for your post. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you already have an MBA degree, you will be disqualified for admission from schools in the US at least. Schools here do not allow "double dipping," and would advise you to go and do with your existing MBA degree what you propose you want to do with theirs.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 12:10
bryantmichaels wrote:
Hi there. Thanks for your post. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you already have an MBA degree, you will be disqualified for admission from schools in the US at least. Schools here do not allow "double dipping," and would advise you to go and do with your existing MBA degree what you propose you want to do with theirs.

Hello Bryant,

Many thanks for responding. Much appreciated. Perhaps I should have clarified, I am not interested in applying to any school State side. At all. I have my reasons for this.

a) Its not my target geographic area. Not now, not ever.
b) Most schools in US demand and develop skill-sets that are irrelevant for my industry. I need not be a quant-whiz to succeed for where I'm coming from and where I want to go. Those skills are easily hired off the market on a need basis and their absence does not necessarily hinder a fast track growth or leadership potential.
c) I simply don't have 2 years to spare off the workforce, unless at LBS which is an experience in itself.
d) The average age of the MBA class in most US schools is much younger than what I prefer. It would be nice to have either more or as experienced classmates for an optimum peer learning experience.

As far as making do with my existing MBA is concerned, that's simply not an option. I have extracted its full ROI. I earned it straight after my undergraduate degree with no work experience and have outperformed its average career progression potential by miles. To get to the next level, I need another MBA, this time outside my home country and the one which will add to my personal brand for applying at mid/senior level positions.

It would certainly help to receive a profile evaluation with this additional information in mind. I am retaking my GMAT in any case, so perhaps that part of the query isn't that relevant anymore.

Thanks,
sns