I would really appreciate your inputs on the kind of universities I should be targetting based on my profile description below:
1) Brief description of full-time work experience:
I am a Sr. Project Engineer in a leading EPC firm in India. Currently, I have around 2 years of Work experience in International Oil and Gas Projects.
Roles and Responsibilities:
i) Project Management
1.Procurement Coordinator for an Offshore Project (worth over USD 200 Million) in South East Asia.
a.Liaising with the Fabrication, Engineering and Procurement teams located at different work centres in India and abroad
b.Analyzing the supply chain of vendors to mitigate any potential delays and to propose alternatives to reduce the procurement lead time.
2.Contract Management for the above Project.
3.Currently involved in the execution of the newly secured Offshore Project (worth over USD 100 Million) in South East Asia.
ii)Proposals & Estimation
1.Bidding to secure Projects in South East Asia and the Middle East.
i)General Motors: Rectification of defects in Body Shop
ii)Rathi Lightnin Mixers: Study of Industrial Mixers
3) Your GMAT: Haven’t taken it yet. I’m targeting a score of 700+.
4) College info: B.E. in Mechanical from Pune University with an average GPA of 8.5. Year of Graduation: 2011
i)Part of the college football team for various national/ state level competitions
ii)Member of the Student Council and Secretary for Industrial Relations
iii)Part of the college team for SUPRA SAE competition which involves designing, modeling and fabricating a formula type racing car.
iv)Member of the Organizing, Sponsorship and Publicity Committee for the college cultural and technical fest for two consecutive years.
v)I have been involved in the company’s CSR activities by teaching mathematics to Xth Grade students
vi)Prefect in High School
5) Important certifications: Basic proficiency in Spanish Language (Level A1 and A2).
6) Your target programs: MBA in Strategy/ Marketing (though, as evident, I have no relevant experience in Marketing).
7) When you plan to apply? I plan to apply in R1 2014 and hence will have 4 years of relevant experience at the time of joining.
Projections for the next year (before applying):
1.Expect to get some international/ site/ offshore experience
2.I should be an Assistant Manager at the time of applying.
3.To complete certificate courses offered by the National Stock Exchange of India to get acclimatized to the fundamentals of capital markets.
4.To apply for the Intermediate proficiency course in Spanish (Level B1 and B2).
8) Your post-MBA goal: I would like to join an international consulting firm post an MBA.
Request your help in evaluating my profile with respect to the following parameters:
1.I am targeting HBS, Stanford School of Business, LBS and INSEAD. How are my chances of being admitted to these schools or the Top 10?
2.Which part of my profile needs improvement?
3.Can you suggest other programs which I could have a better shot at?
Your timely inputs will be highly appreciated as I still have more than a year to work on my profile before applying.
1. I am assuming a GMAT of over 700 and anticipated promotions; you will have a competitive profile for your target programs and in the U.S. top 10.
2. If you are aiming for marketing, it would be great if some of your experience related to marketing. While you had leadership experiences in college, it doesn't not appear like you have them currently. Hopefully in the next 1.5 years, you will again assume leadership roles, if not on the job then in your CSR initiatives.
3. If you want to focus on programs strong in marketing and strategy management, consider Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Tuck, Cornell Johnson, HEC, and Haas.
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog