Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 03:28
Hi,

I like to have an evaluation of my profile please.

I am Greek, living in the UK for the last 9 years. I am a Computer Science graduate from the university of Sussex.

GMAT: haven't taken the exam yet, but I would aim for 700+ (although I don't know how much a lower GMAT, say 620, would impact to my application)
Bachelors - Computer Science with Hons 2:2
Masters - Multimedia Applications and Virtual Environments (Computer Science) Hons

First in both final year projects in BSc and MSc, however I will try to compensate the low grades with a high GMAT score.

I have been working in IT since late 2008 as a software developer, starting my career from the ground up and taking some initiatives in the companies I was working for to increase performance / income. I also have IT certifications (Scrum Master) which is essential for a team leader in IT, and have been team leader in various teams.

My primal reason for an MBA is to explore my options for a career change in Finance or Corporate or even creating my own consulting business, maybe as an Analyst or in Risk Management.

I am 29 years old but thinking of applying for the 2014 class.

Extra Curricular Activities:
I have been a band leader back in my uni years, a coach in the basketball team for a couple of years and a member of the Greek community organizing events and providing information.
Nowadays I am into trading in my free time.

Targeted schools:
Looking to get into one of these schools for FT MBA
LBS, Insead, HEC, Imperial or maybe HBS.

Are there any areas that shout "I need significant improvement" ?

Thanks for your time and help.

Thanks and Regards
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 11:20
Expert's post
LBS INSEAD and HBS may be a challenge for your profile. Although you have a nice cultural diversity play being Greek, it would frankly be a better story if you had been working in Greece given the tumultuous economy and international attention there over the past couple of years. Working in the UK as software developer may not wow the committees particularly if your plan is to try something new like finance. Generally, to get into these world class schools, you need a tight story that indicates your career has been intentially pursued to lay the foundation for your post MBA vision. HBS and LBS look for the best potential international leaders in the world and you will face some stiff competition from the most academically and professionally elite candidates in the world. Additionally, HBS is notorious for giving older candidates more scrutiny, and at 29 or 30 when you start, it's likely that your achievements will not measure up to their requirements. But don't lose heart, as you have a good profile for b-school, just perhaps not at a top 5 in the world school. There are plenty of good schools in the 10-20 rankings range including several in Europe and Asia. Certainly you identify HEC and imperial and you could also look at Esade. If you want to go for LBS or HBS as a stretch, you should do so, keeping your expectations in check and perhaps working on your leadership story as well as your overall theme so that it appears your path has been more intentional and less random as it pertains to connecting with what you want to do after B-school. Hope this helps.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 11:28
Many thanks for your time bryantmichaels.