Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 04:19
Hi,

My target schools are Wharton, Columbia, and NYU and I would appreciate any feedback if I am a qualified candidate and if you would recommend retaking the GMAT. I took the GMAT last week and scored a 730 (50Q, 39V). I have a 3.43 from a top 50 US University and majored in Finance. I work in IT Sales for the past 4 years and will have 5 years at matriculation. I can show that I've taken more responsibility in my job and we are a small business but I basically run and manage one of our lines of business. My purpose for getting an MBA is so that I can move into finance, preferably Venture Capital with a long term goal in PE. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 05:34
Expert's post
Finance Fellow-

To start, your GMAT score is solid. I would focus more on the other aspects of your application.
A- GPA: is ok, but nothing you can do about that.
B- Work experience: This is where you need to show that you gained perspective that will add to the classroom. You need to think long and hard about how you were a leader, how you initiated, how you innovated.
C- Extracurricular and Volunteer community service: You have nothing here, can you give more information? As it reads now, you simply went to a good school and achieve at 3.43, what else did you do during this time to distinguish you from your peers? Who were you during this time?
D- Recommendations: These are going to need to be outstanding, who do you have to write about you in a manner that shows you are truly one of the select few that a Wharton can not pass on given a sea of finance applicants?
E- Post MBA goals: Define for your post MBA goals with one goal not two, one can be a step that is critical to the pursuit of the one focused goal.
F- Overall: Answer for yourself "Why You? Why should the AdCom admit you, what makes you compelling? Also, answer for the AdCom "Why an MBA Now, at this point in time? Why is it critical? (later tie this answer to why from this specific school?).

At this point you have a lot to answer to highlight shine a light on what makes you a truly outstanding candidate. I am sure it is there, perhaps take some time to answer all of the above to get you started on creating the marketing angles for yourself. I would be happy to review again.

Best of Luck-

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 13:45
Hi Courtney,

Thanks so much for your reply, it's been a while but I have been thinking about my application and wanted to send you more info based on your questions.

B - Work Experience - I am a salesperson and run two of our major lines of business. In order to run the business, I need to have good teamwork skills, both by working internally and getting help from other employees in order to complete a project, and externally by working with our technology partners and manage those relationships. Many deals require a detailed proposal and I lead proposal teams both within our company, and with partner companies. I've innovated our proposal process based on waht I've learned from working with larger companies. I want to articulate that my leadership skills are shown because in order to get stuff done at work, I depend on others who are either too busy or not motivated. I've learned how to work better with others to get what I want, and have a good relationship.

C - Volunteer and Extra Curricular - During undergrad school I was the vice president of our persian student cultural club, and it was very important to me and an organization i was involved in for my full 4 years. I was part of out finance and investment club and outside of school I joined a Habitat for Humanity trip to rebuild homes in New orleans. I don't know if the schools care but I have a passion for basketball and I was involved in intramurals and have been playing ever since. Right now, I am regularly involved in Toastmasters and I am the treasurer of my club. I also join an investing meetup group every 2-4 weeks that focuses on investing in equities. I am signed up to join a food drive every month, not really to boost my application but just to feel like I am helping more in my free time.

D - I believe my recommendations will be strong. I will have my direct boss and my CEO write for me, and they can hopefully write that I am a team player and willing to do anything to help our company, and that I have been valuable to them. If a school asks for a third, I think that would be weak for me.

E - I want to enter finance and I want to sell a realistic goal. My ultimate goal is to be either in private equity or venture capital, as I want to help build companies through investment. I come from the tech world and I think my perspective would help me evaluate tech and web companies and I want to use that. I'm not sure how I should articulate this well because I know you can't get into VC easily after school, so I am thinking of trying to do investment banking as an immediate goal so that way I can gain more finance and transaction experience. This is where I am having trouble with my essays.

F - I think it's critical for me to get an MBA now, because in a sense I am completely rebranding myself and moving from sales and into finance. I feel that I have reached a point to where I have learned a lot about my industry and of sales, and it's now time to use that experience to move on. I think I bring a unique perspective to the classroom, and I am confident that I have the skills and perseverance to succeed in school.

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, thank you!