Thanks for your patience. I will try to do your questions justice.
1. Your years of work experience is enough. The question you need to ask yourself - "will I gain anything significant (promotions, title change, salary bump, project work, supervisory responsibility, etc.) by staying at work another year?" If the answer is "NO", then do not tread water. Make the jump. Another point - I have worked with quite a few Schlumberger applicants and their experience is diverse, international, and generally excellent. Again, make the jump and apply.
2. I would consider retaking the GMAT. You are leaving a lot of money on the table with that verbal score. At least get it into the 40/40 club for both verbal/quant. However, if this is the 3rd or 4th time that you have taken it - and you "know" you can't do any better - than let it ride with your current score. With you, the primary different between a 720 and a 740+ is free money from schools like Ross, Chicago, Haas, etc ....
3. You should target a top 10 - even with your current score. I just helped a Schlumberger applicant get into three schools in the top 5, as well as Chicago and Columbia.
You have the components of a very competitive candidacy. If you would like to discuss your candidacy further during a complementary consultation, please email me at email@example.com
- ask to speak with me based on your Schlumberger background.
Thanks in advance for taking out the time to evaluate my profile and answering my questions.
I am from India / 24 / Male. Currently I am working as a Field Engineer for Schlumberger and wish to apply to business schools in 2014 when I will have 3 years of work experience at the time of applying.
Description of full time work experience
Hardcore technical operations in upstream oil industry. I have to lead multi national crews of 6-7 people to conduct data acquisition operations on oil rigs. It is a high pressure job and long hours to the tune of 40-50 are pretty regular.
- Supervise and manage these projects on rigs where each can bring in a revenue of anywhere between a few thousand upto a million dollars for the company in 2-3 days.
- Two promotions by the time I apply.
- International work ex. from the start. Based in middle east.
- Selected for doing month long offshore stints in India for high profile operations.
GMAT - 720 V-38 Q-50
Undergrad - IITB, CPI - 7.6/10 (turns out to be around 3 GPA).
- Significant leadership experiences during college. Elected student leader. Nothing much while working.
top tier consulting firms or general management in global energy companies.
Intend to get into top 10 in US or INSEAD/LBS.
1) 3 years of work experience at the time of applying seems less than average for most schools. Will I be at a disadvantage because of it.
2) Should i retake GMAT with 720. Will it be looked upon as a negative if i end up with a lower score than what i took earlier.
3) What should be my Target schools in US considering my background. Is Top 10 in US feasible considering my background ?
Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | firstname.lastname@example.org | 877.866.9251
Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog
Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton