Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.88
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 11:07
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

I work as a bank examiner for a US federal banking regulator. I examine the level of risk and lending practises of banks to ensure safety and soundness. Don't work with the behemoth well known banks, but with lenders primarily focused on the agricultural sector.

Almost 4 years to date, a little over 5 years at matriculation

2) Your GMAT.

670 46Q, 37V
Scheduled round 2 for June, shooting for 700-710, I'm confident this is realistic.

3) College info:
Texas State University- public university not much prestige here.
BBA- Finance graduated in 2009: overall GPA 3.58 with positive trend; Business GPA 3.9

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

During undergrad- President of the Finance Club on campus and was a member of the Student Managed Investment Fund (group of selected students that managed a small portion of the schools endowment fund)

Post undergard- not much here

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

NO designation but I should be a "Commissioned" bank examiner by matriculation possibly just after applying. It is an internally provided designation without much applicability outside of the regulatory "world" but other regulators recognize it.

6) Your target programs.
Universty of Texas- Mccombs, Texas A&M- Mays, SMU-COX, Rice-Jones

You may notice they are all in Texas. It is my current state of residence and prefered post MBA location but I'd be willing to consider other schools. I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
R2 2014

R1 maybe R2 at the latest, for fall of 2014 matriculation

8) Your post-MBA goal.
I'm interested in management consulting, more specificly for financial services companies to leverage my experience.

Thanks in advance :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 23:49
Expert's post
Hey there dude,

I think that for the Texan schools, if you hit that 700 mark, you are pretty good to go. You will be a competitive candidate. Solid career, excellent grades, great GMAT. You may be missing a bit of the garnish with your lack of extra stuff, but the meat is there, and that is what is most important.

For schools outside of Texas, I could suggest a ton, but there are so many I don't know what your criteria are yet. Management Consulting is (along with Finance) the bread and butter of MBA programs, so from a career point of view, you would go anywhere you like). But what about other considerations? Do you prefer big school/small school? city/country? any regional likes or dislikes? Any schools which you have been looking into in terms of fit???

Share some of your thoughts about schools here, and I'll try and advise you further,

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.88
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 09:54
Thanks for your quick response.

I'd probably choose a larger school over a smaller one and I prefer the city over the country.

The only specific areas I'd prefer to stay away from are the big cities in the northeast. Also, weather is a consideration, Im not too picky but places like Minnesota are definately out (waaay to cold).

Now that I relfect a little more on it, I think it's going to be difficult to find a program that can compete with the Texas schools, at least the public ones (Mccombs and Mays). Since I'm a resident, I'd pay resident tuition plus TX's cost of living is relatively low and TX is my desired post MBA location. Nevertheless, I'm open to your suggestions.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 03:11
Expert's post
Well you could think about UNC and Duke, as the weather is nice, and you have all those credit card firms around. Haas would be a good choice (even if a bit of a stretch) just cause it's ana amazing program (nice weather there too!). Maybe Emory too, although I don't necessarily see an advantage to Emory over the Texas schools.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!