Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 11:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 20:30
Hi there!

If you could send some thoughts on my profile it would be much appreciated! Y'all are rockstars in advance, just wanted to remind you

Mixed race Korean/Scotch Irish... first to graduate college in my family

GMAT: 710 (2nd attempt... first was 670)

GPA: 3.69 B.S. Industrial & Systems Engineer at public university

WE: I'm a graduate from a very very large international engineering firm's two year leadership program in technical marketing. (four 6 month rotations in different business units, different roles, different geographic locations), was promoted "off program" into a marketing consultant role, where I got a unique opportunity to develop and execute strategies for an emerging vertical market. I have been promoted in this current role 1.5 years after being off program. Currently management would like me to apply the strategic framework I've developed against five other vertical markets. It's strategic marketing with a splash of business development and sales reporting. With my new promotion I now have a small marketing budget ($30k) to manage.

I also have a high chance at an international assignment for 3 years in Europe summer of 2014. I really want to do business school, but feel this may be a good back up if I can't get into any schools the first time around. I lucked out and got the ear of the U.S. CEO, and I'm being prepared for a "leadership experience" where I'll be given team resources to manage a project for BU management, to be executed hopefully by September/October.

EC: I founded an Asian Employee Resource Group where I work about 3 years ago, and grew it from 6 members to 430 across 5 locations in Georgia, California, Tennessee, and Texas. We now have a $30k budget and are sector-wide. I've also played trombone in my church's orchestra for a few years, and have done two mission trips to help Kenyan orphans... last year as a music ministry team lead (I brought my trombone ), and this year as a team co-lead. I'm an avid runner, weightlifter, and won a regional table topics contest at Toastmasters if that counts for anything.

Purpose: Although I've been blessed with a fast moving career, I want to continue to accelerate faster. Through my rotation program, experiences, and current role I've been fascinated by business strategy and it almost teases me to want to see and understand an even larger picture of how companies work. I love the strategy side and would like to get an MBA so I can pursue strategy consulting for a few years, with the long term goal of moving into management at a technology firm, so I can do my engineering degree some justice .

School list:

Harvard
Wharton
Kellogg
MIT
Duke

Thank you!

Saevo
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 21:37
Expert's post
Saevo wrote:
Hi there!

If you could send some thoughts on my profile it would be much appreciated! Y'all are rockstars in advance, just wanted to remind you

WE: I'm a graduate from a very very large international engineering firm's two year leadership program in technical marketing. (four 6 month rotations in different business units, different roles, different geographic locations), was promoted "off program" into a marketing consultant role, where I got a unique opportunity to develop and execute strategies for an emerging vertical market. I have been promoted in this current role 1.5 years after being off program. Currently management would like me to apply the strategic framework I've developed against five other vertical markets. It's strategic marketing with a splash of business development and sales reporting. With my new promotion I now have a small marketing budget ($30k) to manage.

I also have a high chance at an international assignment for 3 years in Europe summer of 2014. I really want to do business school, but feel this may be a good back up if I can't get into any schools the first time around. I lucked out and got the ear of the U.S. CEO, and I'm being prepared for a "leadership experience" where I'll be given team resources to manage a project for BU management, to be executed hopefully by September/October.

EC: I founded an Asian Employee Resource Group where I work about 3 years ago, and grew it from 6 members to 430 across 5 locations in Georgia, California, Tennessee, and Texas. We now have a $30k budget and are sector-wide. I've also played trombone in my church's orchestra for a few years, and have done two mission trips to help Kenyan orphans... last year as a music ministry team lead (I brought my trombone ), and this year as a team co-lead. I'm an avid runner, weightlifter, and won a regional table topics contest at Toastmasters if that counts for anything.

Purpose: Although I've been blessed with a fast moving career, I want to continue to accelerate faster. Through my rotation program, experiences, and current role I've been fascinated by business strategy and it almost teases me to want to see and understand an even larger picture of how companies work. I love the strategy side and would like to get an MBA so I can pursue strategy consulting for a few years, with the long term goal of moving into management at a technology firm, so I can do my engineering degree some justice .

School list:

Harvard
Wharton
Kellogg
MIT
Duke

Thank you!

Saevo

Saevo,

Thanks for the feedback!.

You have an interesting profile! And it's competitive for your target programs although there are not safeties on that list. I'm a little surprised Stanford and/or Haas isn't on your list, unless you want to stay strictly East Coast. You may also want to consider Tuck, Darden, and Ross.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 19:08
Hi Linda,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. To be honest I'm struggling to figure out which schools would be best for my career goals and would love to hone in on 3-4 "top" schools, with 1-2 backups. Since I have a strong chance of potentially working internationally for a few years starting in 2014, I was thinking it would be best to be aggressive. I am definitely open to west coast schools and would love to learn more if you have time.

Thanks again!
Saevo
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 21:49
Expert's post
Accepted.com wrote:
Saevo wrote:
Hi there!

School list:

Harvard
Wharton
Kellogg
MIT
Duke

Thank you!

Saevo

Saevo,

Thanks for the feedback!.

You have an interesting profile! And it's competitive for your target programs although there are not safeties on that list. I'm a little surprised Stanford and/or Haas isn't on your list, unless you want to stay strictly East Coast. You may also want to consider Tuck, Darden, and Ross.

Best,
Linda

Given your relative youth and the opportunities you have without the MBA, I agree that you should be a little aggressive. Consider Harvard, Kellogg, Stanford, Wharton, Haas, MIT. and Duke.

Please let me know if you would like help with your MBA application.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog