Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 3.15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 13:00
Personal background: I am a white male that is looking to apply this Fall ’13 in either Round 1 or 2. As you can tell by my background below, I am nontraditional and would like a better sense of where I stand with my target schools. Thank you in advance!

1) 4 years experience (at matriculation) in Wine/Spirits industry; Currently working the largest CPG sales/marketing agency on a small team tasked with building out an alcohol beverage division. We are historically the sales/marketing/retail arm of large CPG companies (think Unilever) and are leveraging the size/scope of our internal resources to deliver revolutionary route to market strategies to potential clients. My role is in managing all new business development activity, focused on building the strategies for new potential clients that submit an RFP with us. We have developed successful strategies for many of the major wine/spirits companies.
2) 750 (Q 50, V 42)
3) University of Southern CA 2010; GPA 3.2; Business major
4) Volunteer with Big Brothers program; took 2 classes at local university in Financial Markets and in Statistics (received an A in each) to offset low GPA
5) I will be starting the CFA process in January 2014 (sitting for #1 in June ’14)
6) Suggestions are welcome, but currently considering: Wharton (My father went there for MBA), Booth, Kellogg, Anderson, Fuqua; others?
7) R1 and R2 2013-2014
8) Work in asset management sales (ie PIMCO account manager) or Private Client Services (ie JPMorgan Private Bank)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 14:31
Thanks for the posting.

To start, I actually do not think that your candidacy is all that unconventional. We have worked with many candidates who come from the wine + spirits industry. To be honest, admissions most probably considers your work to fall under a somewhat unconventional consumer products sector. Next, good job on your GMAT - and while this will compensate somewhat for your GPA, it will not totally compensate for the 3.2 (which is not awful, just not stellar). Given that you come from a competitive demographic, your margin of error has been used up (even though you did well in your post-bacc classes). This means that your entire application has to be top notch with compelling essays and recommendations, impressive interview and stellar performances on all other aspects to your application.

As for which schools make the most sense, I agree with most of the schools on your list. Wharton and Booth are the most forgiving top schools when it comes to grades - and they are even more forgiving when you try to turn a less than stellar undergraduate record around with post-bacc classes. Next, Kellogg is a logical given the consumer products aspect of your work experience. As for other programs you should consider, I would recommend Johnson, Darden, Fuqua and Anderson. One school that I also think you should consider given your career goal is Stern. Lastly, I recommend that you apply to six schools.

Good luck and make sure that you get as many applications in as possible R1.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 3.15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 06:47
This is great stuff- thank you for the prompt feedback! Sounds like I was in the right ballpark, but it's always good to get a professional's opinion

Thank you again!!
Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 31 May 2013, 06:47