Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 23:49
Hi Sir,

Please help me in evaluating my profile. Looking for admissions to B-Schools in USA, Europe, India

Demographic: 29, Indian Male

Academic:
GMAT (1 attempt) - 680 (Q50 , V31 , AWA/IR - not yet received)
Qualification: Bachelor of Technology (Computer Science) from IIT-Kharagpur, 8.64 / 10 CGPA

Work Experience: 7 years as of July 2013

Research/Analytics in Buldge Bracket IB for 2 years ( India )
Trading/Risk Management in Buldge Bracket IB for 3 years ( Singapore )
- Managed team of 8 people .
Trading/Risk Management in Boutique Financial Services Firm ( Singapore ) [ Current ]
- Managing 4 member team .

Certifications:
FRM® ( Financial Risk Manager )

Extracurriculars:

1) Badminton Captain of University, who represented our university in Inter IIT Sports meet.

2) Silver medalist in Athletics (4X100 relay) in Inter IIT Sports meet.

3) Sole recipient of Inlaks Awards of Excellence at IIT-Kharagpur in 2003. Inlaks Awards of Excellence represents the highest recognition of talent in the country and is awarded only to 4-5 students across India per year.

4) Member of the organizing committee of "BITWISE", the annual online programming Contest organized by the Computer Science and Engineering Department Society of IIT Kharagpur

5) Member of the organizing committee of "The Second Symposium on Indian Morphology, Phonology & Language Engineering (Simple-05)"

Target schools:
1) Stanford University
2) Yale University
3) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
4) University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
5) University of Chicago (Booth)
6) Columbia Business School
7) UC Berkeley (Haas)
8) NYU Stern
9) INSEAD
10) HEC PARIS

Based on the information above, should i retake GMAT again first ?

Thanks for your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 06:22
Thank you for your posting.

First, let me highlight that you are in a very competitive demographic group so the actual acceptance rates for Indian males is less than half of the school's stated acceptance rates. This is because there are so many more qualified candidates than there are allocated spots. Also, you need to know that your demographic generally has excellent academic records -- meaning both high grades and GMAT scores so anything outside of excellent on both of these places you at a disadvantage. Lastly, you have to work hard on your application to stand out from your competition - this means you must present a compelling application on all fronts -- essays, interview, recommendations, etc.

As for the schools you have showcased, I have the following comments:

Target schools:
1) Stanford University: Very low chance of acceptance. I do not see your background matching the type of student that admissions prefers.
2) Yale University -- A good fit, but you are going to have to improve your GMAT score.
3) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) -- again, a good fit, but you are going to have to improve your GMAT score.
4) University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) -- a good fit, but the GMAT score is a problem.
5) University of Chicago (Booth) -- good fit, but GMAT is too low.
6) Columbia Business School -- I recommend applying for the January term or early decision.
7) UC Berkeley (Haas) -- you do not match their student profile -- would not recommend applying
8) NYU Stern -- as a backup school, however, GMAT is still an issue.
9) INSEAD -- good choice and a good fit.
10) HEC PARIS -- should not be an issue to get in as long as your application is compelling and professional.

You have selected world-class programs to apply to so every aspect of your candidacy has to be world-class. As of right now, your GMAT scores are low. Also, you must (and I emphasize must) submit a compelling application. Do not take the risk of submitting a mediocre application given your competitive demographic group

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 06:25
ManhattanReview wrote:
Thank you for your posting.

First, let me highlight that you are in a very competitive demographic group so the actual acceptance rates for Indian males is less than half of the school's stated acceptance rates. This is because there are so many more qualified candidates than there are allocated spots. Also, you need to know that your demographic generally has excellent academic records -- meaning both high grades and GMAT scores so anything outside of excellent on both of these places you at a disadvantage. Lastly, you have to work hard on your application to stand out from your competition - this means you must present a compelling application on all fronts -- essays, interview, recommendations, etc.

As for the schools you have showcased, I have the following comments:

Target schools:
1) Stanford University: Very low chance of acceptance. I do not see your background matching the type of student that admissions prefers.
2) Yale University -- A good fit, but you are going to have to improve your GMAT score.
3) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) -- again, a good fit, but you are going to have to improve your GMAT score.
4) University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) -- a good fit, but the GMAT score is a problem.
5) University of Chicago (Booth) -- good fit, but GMAT is too low.
6) Columbia Business School -- I recommend applying for the January term or early decision.
7) UC Berkeley (Haas) -- you do not match their student profile -- would not recommend applying
8) NYU Stern -- as a backup school, however, GMAT is still an issue.
9) INSEAD -- good choice and a good fit.
10) HEC PARIS -- should not be an issue to get in as long as your application is compelling and professional.

You have selected world-class programs to apply to so every aspect of your candidacy has to be world-class. As of right now, your GMAT scores are low. Also, you must (and I emphasize must) submit a compelling application. Do not take the risk of submitting a mediocre application given your competitive demographic group

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Thanks Kimberly for the fair view. I am currently trying to weigh my options and might take GMAT again.
Re: Profile evaluation request   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2013, 06:25