Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 12

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 16:50
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to evaluate. I have heard you in a couple of seminars, and I find your analysis very insightful. I will be grateful, if you could evaluate my profile:
GMAT: 700 (5th attempt)
Undergrad percentage: 78% (top 10% of my class; Scholarship for the entire 4 years )
Grad : 3.8 (MS in computer engineering)
Work Ex:
Intel Corporation(2008-present); worked on the latest products churned out by Intel’s Atom Division. Worked across multiple teams around the world.
Siemens wireless Division: 6 months.
Extra-curricular:
Treasurer of a nonprofit for the last 5 years.
President of Toastmasters.(2013-present)
Helping a nonprofit to improve their organization culture through an Intel program.(2013-present)
Regular contributor to my school’s Career magazine.

Do you think my profile is competitive for top 10 Schools(Booth,kellog,Columbia,MIT etc)? Which would you recommend ?
I want to go into strategic consultancy with companies such as Bain.
Thank You!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 17:34
Expert's post
Hi there,

Hmm, I would swear I had responded to this; not sure if you posted on another ask mbaMission forum, if it got deleted, or if you just have a really similar profile as someone else, lol! ;)

I will say that your GMAT and grades are solid, but you come from a common applicant background-- IT/engineering, so you'll need to work to stand out from that crowd AND differentiate from the assumption that you are 'just a technical guy (/girl?? ;) )'. So highlight that toastmasters experience, non profit experience, leadership, teamwork, communication skills, influencing others, etc.... the technical skills are already evident.

It's hard to assess based SOLELY on the info provided as it's pretty brief... I would say you wouldn't be ruled OUT of top 10 programs, but as of now it's difficult to see what about your profile is truly outstanding and gives that 'wow' factor, and with so many well qualified applicants at those top programs, you NEED that wow factor. You need to really show, through your ESSAYS as that is the place you can show, who you are as a person, why you are unique, why schools should accept YOU, what you will bring to the table, and why you need this degree. A lot will ride on those essays for you. Good luck on the process!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php