Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 128

Premium Member
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:09
Goals:
I'll be honest here, and say straight-out that I do not know my short term or long term goals, or why I need an MBA. I'm hoping to hire a consultant soon-ish and figure out what/how to pitch my story. My honest reason that I'll never mention to schools is that my career is stagnant and I don't feel like I can rise through the ranks and quite frankly I feel my brain just isn't being used. I enjoy learning and by applying to bschool, I hope to open up a world of opportunity and enjoy the options I have to explore to further my career.

Background info:
31 years old, American, male, married.
740 GMAT (Q51, V38)

School:
Graduated in 2004, 3.2 GPA bachelors in math.
Enrolled in masters program part time for computational biology for a few years. GPA 3.66. Did not obtain degree (did not finish thesis)

Work experience:
A year in biotech, then a year of unemployment (moved cross country - needed a change of scenery), then two year in transportation industry (purchasing then engineer), then 6 years of biotech (supply chain).

Feel free to suggest schools and make any constructive (I like brutal honesty) comments. Thanks!

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Last edited by farful on 08 Nov 2013, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 07:37
farful wrote:
Goals:
I'll be honest here, and say straight-out that I do not know my short term or long term goals, or why I need an MBA. I'm hoping to hire a consultant soon-ish and figure out what/how to pitch my story. My honest reason that I'll never mention to schools is that my career is stagnant and I don't feel like I can rise through the ranks and quite frankly I feel my brain just isn't being used. I enjoy learning and by applying to bschool, I hope to open up a world of opportunity and enjoy the options I have to explore to further my career.

Background info:
31 years old, American, male, married, two kids ages 1 and 7.
740 GMAT (Q51, V38)

School:
Graduated in 2004, 3.2 GPA at ~25th ranked public school (~50th overall) bachelors in math.
Enrolled in a masters program part time for computational biology at a noname state university. 46 credits of coursework. GPA 3.66. Did not obtain degree (did not finish thesis)

Quick note on school here. I think my GPA is terrible, and my undergrad was a result of being lazy and immature and never attending classes. Regarding my postbac work, I stupidly took a few upper division undergraduate bio/chem classes without ever having taken bio/chem 101, organic chem, etc which were all prereqs. Without those, my GPA is over 3.8. Also, I have my name on at least one article if that's at all relevant (not primary author).

Work experience:
A year in biotech, then a year of unemployment (moved cross country - needed a change of scenery), then two year in transportation industry (purchasing then engineer), then 6 years of biotech (supply chain).

How bad is my year of unemployment?

Extra curricular:
The only one that shows leadership that I can think of is a local go (type of game, kinda like chess) club that I run and was founded by me. We also participate in Collegiate Go Leagues against other universities.

Feel free to suggest schools and make any constructive (I like brutal honesty) comments. Thanks!

Hey farful - since you asked us nicely via PM to respond to this, well, here we are. 8-)

And we're kinda known for "brutal honest comments" - never try to be mean, just dish out the truth.

But unfortunately, there's only so much we can say about this. We are not in a position to make blind school recommendations; this is a very personal process and we don't know anything about you that could even help to narrow the field. Things like geography, school size, culture, and obviously specialization and focus all play into it. Do you want to go to a school in a city so that your wife can easily find work? Do you want a school with a strong partner support culture? All schools have some of that but some are much more welcoming to spouses and SOs of students.

You're going to need to figure out your answers to these questions, and roll up your sleeves and do some research - and get out and visit. The EssaySnark blahg has some resources for this process. And figuring out your goals really would be a helpful first step.

Your GMAT is obviously awesome and sure, your GPA is on the low side but it's not showstopper low. It sounds like you have a good reason you can offer in an optional essay to explain what happened with those science classes; that even could potentially come off as a positive. We're not concerned about that. You'll also need to explain the master's program... and the year of unemployment. Ideally, you'll be able to cover at least one of these in one of the main essays for each school - not an easy thing to do with this year's abbreviated questions, but possible. Otherwise, that optional essay is going to get very crowded. All of these issues will need to be explained. None of them are red flags necessarily but it will be up to you to take control of your messaging and help the adcoms see what the deal was and turn them to positives.

But the goals - you really need to nail down the goals. It sounds like you want to get out of supply chain? If you don't, then you have a pretty easy task of identifying the schools - there's a bunch that are specifically known for that. If you do, then you need to do some heavy lifting / soul searching and figure out what the next step is. We actually can't even recommend a single school without that information, and even with it, it's not always so easy - especially if you say "strategy consultant" which is what everyone seems to want to do these days!!! :-)

Please don't be deterred from saying that, if it's what you have in mind - just recognize that it's exceedingly common and it's becoming more difficult to stand out if that's the goal.

Anyway, sorry that there's not more we can do here - we'd be of much greater use to you if you were presenting ideas for feedback, rather than this vacuum. We're of the DIY school - we have a gazillion tools on our site to help you work through these questions and then we can give guidance based on what you come up with. You may want to poke around on essaysnark.com to see what's there.

Good luck with it and as you narrow down on some of these choices, feel free to post back and we'll see what we think.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 23:06
Hi there,

Frankly, your profile is quite decent. With a 8-year work ex and 740 GMAT I believe no one is seriously going to look at your under-grad GPA. Well, as you mentioned a consultant should be able to work with you and help you introspect about your goals both short term and long term. I think, it is important that you feel passionate about doing your MBA. It is, indeed going to be a serious investment both in terms of dollars and time.

You can also try your chances of getting admit in top business school by trying the tool http://bit.ly/10LIphC

An year of unemployment can be bad if not explained with enough justification. The impact of that 1-year if highlighted in a good light can even have a positive impact on your overall application.

Good luck with your self-discovery and the application process.

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 19:03
As the other posters have said, your GMAT score and grades are fine. You now need to focus on your goals.

Having clear goals is not only so you can get into the best school possible, but also so you can get the most out of the experience. You will be needing to choose elective classes, clubs, and interview for summer internships pretty quickly.

Feel free to contact me for a free intro assessment in which I can give some cursory career coaching to point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2013, 19:03