Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Profile evaluation request. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 10:11
Hi mbaMission,

Kindly evaluate my profile:

Nationality : Indian

1. Work experience
I've completed 2.5 years as an Analyst at Deloitte Consulting. My prime focus has been on customizing and implementing Business Intelligence tools for Fortune 500 companies, helping them make their Financial Planning and Consolidation functions more efficient. I'm primed to get my first promotion (to the Consultant level) in August next year. I've exceeded expectations in all my projects and have received appreciation in the form of awards.

2. GMAT
720 (IR - 8, AWA - awaited).

3. Educational Background
Majored in Computer Engineering from Delhi College of Engineering (top 10 engineering school in India) in 2011. My college doesn't use the GPA system; I scored 70% overall. The topper of my class scored 80%. I'd have been in the top 30% of my class.

4. Extra-curricular activities
1. Captain of University Football and Badminton teams - Won at many Universities across India including IITs.
2. Founding member of Quizzing club at college, member of Entrepreneurship Cell and Master of Ceremony for its Annual Summit.
3. At work, I've led 200 professionals in a program to spread awareness about and help preserve Delhi's heritage and monuments, as a part of the firm-wide CSR initiative.
4. I'm also a part of the Industry Focus Group, which focuses at imparting domain knowledge of various client industries to our co-workers. Within that, I lead the Communications, Quizzing and Finance Knowledge areas.
5. Active member of Greenpeace.org's India chapter.
6. Part-time advisor and content developer for two early-stage startups (one online quizzing platform and one transportation logistics company).

I'm also learning Spanish (although I don't think that counts).

5. Important certifications
I'm a CFA Level 2 candidate for June '14. I hope to have cleared L2 by the time I apply for graduate school in Sept/Oct 2014.
In addition to this, I have completed many finance-oriented courses from Wharton, Yale and HEC Paris with distinction, on Coursera.

6. Target programs
My target FT MBA programs for R1 in 2014-15 are: Stern, Tuck, Darden, Ross, Anderson, Duke.

7. Post-MBA goal
Most of my work centers around Corporate Financial Planning and Management Reporting (with main focus on IT) and I've been building domain knowledge by way of the CFA and online courses. But I want to graduate full time to Investment Banking/Investment Management. An MBA will provide me, among other things, the right opportunities.

3 important questions:
1. I feel that my GMAT is on the lower side, considering that I belong to the over-represented Indian-Male-Engineer group. I had been scoring in the 750+ region on mock MGMAT and GMATPrep exams. Do you think there is value in retaking the exam in the hope of getting a 750+?
2. I see that you advise candidates to worry more about creating a GOOD application. Is it possible for you to give me some pointers on how to get started in this regard?
3. Does having a H1-B work visa improve one's chances?

Your review will be of immense help!
Thank you!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation request. [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 14:04
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting and sharing your profile info and background. Congrats on the strong GMAT, and NO I do not see any value in re-taking! A 720 is above the average at any top global MBA program, and you've demonstrated you can handle the academic rigor of b-school...now schools want to see and learn more about YOU as a person-- who you are, what you'll bring the class, what you'll do with their degree, etc.... and that is where the essays and interview become extremely influential, hence the importance of creating a strong application (if that is what you mean by #2). Your essays should be well written, engaging, organized, and most importantly-- successfully showcase several key aspects about who you are and what you'll bring to the class. I suggest multiple drafts and feedback from multiple people; preferably from an experienced admissions consultant but at least including some friends/colleagues who know b-schools well and are good writers. ;)

While technically you draw from an over-represented group, the Analyst experience from Deloitte and CFA and additional coursework all help differentiate you from the average Indian IT/engineering applicant. I think WITH strong essays/application, you would have a chance at the schools you've listed, with Stern & Tuck being most challenging but not out of the question by any means.

Finally no, Visa status doesn't generally influence admission decisions, though it can of course influence employ-ability post-MBA if relevant.

Keep us posted on q's and your progress!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php