Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2014, 11:42
Hi Jon,

I need your advise regarding the schools I should opt for,

GMAT- 680 (V36 Q47)

GPA- somewhere between 3-3.5.. dont exactly know how to calculate it.

Extra Curricular- Decent... certificates at college and school levels only

Community Service- worked with oxfam 6 months, a 2 month project on child literacy with Indian govt for 2 months

WE- 5 yrs +, in Business development. Currently working as a Manager. I have been promoted thrice during this time. Currently lead a team of 8 members.
Single handedly established 2 new branches for the company
Always exceeded targets.
Got some of the biggest contracts for the company
I mean I am confident of a good LORs from my bosses :o .

Age- 27,

Indian, Male.

Future goals- I am a little confused but either Mkt or consulting. To be frank I am really confused about what to take up in future. I like what I am doing but what more of strategic role which demands creativity as well.

Now I have two concerns

First- I have a 3 year under grad and I am not sure about my GPA. I scored 54.5% from Delhi University. Although I have a master degree with much better grades but it was a distance learning program.
Second- My company is not a very big company. What kind of effect with that have on my application.

Also please recommend what schools should I apply to. I am not so keen on US, would prefer Europe, Canada or May be HK/Singpore. Basically anywhere but US :P.

PLEASE HELP
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 03:17
Expert's post
Hello there good sir,
soooo let's have a look at your profile:

The GOOD STUFF:
- Good work experience with quick promotions
- Management experience
- Opening new branches

The TOUGH STUFF:
- Poor GPA
- Indian Candidate
- So-so GMAT
- small no-name company

Overall, your biggest issue is your GPA, and your biggest strength is your work experience. One thing that could really help you out (if its possible) is 30+ more points on the GMAT, because as right now since your biggest weakness is an academic one, a high GMAT might help you offset that. So if you think that's possible, consider it. As for what schools - look into Tier 2 European schools - the Top schools like INSEAD, IMD, Said, LBS will be out of range, but most of the others should be possible (some tougher than others). First of all, I'd advise you to think about WHERE you want to live and work, since although European programs are VERY diverse and VERY international, sill, usually like about 30-50% of every class stays in the country where the school is. Same for Asian schools (and Canadian ones for that matter).

Hope this helps! And if you have further questions, don't hesitate!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2014, 01:01
Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. It has really helped me get a clear picture of where I stand at the moment. But there are few more questions that I would like to ask.

GPA- I knw my GPA seems poor to but in my course it is really hard to score above 60% and I was definitely among top ten students in my class. Also I have consistently scored well in subject like Economics, Management accounts and statistics and its the language subject which brought down my percentage (Cause they are very theoretical with the literature n all). Will this matter
I have also just finished my Master by distance learning where I scored 67% can I use that to show my academic abilities.

Colleges- Would you think the below colleges are realistic targets. I still am doing my research on which country. I will be applying next year so I have time to research, :)

Canada- York, queens, Desautel, or (are schools like Calgary or HEC any good)
Asia- HKUST, NUS
Australia- AGSM
EU- HEC,IE, IESE

One last thing - As I wrote in my previous message, I am little confused about what career to pick in the future. The field that I am really interested in pursue is sustainable development or energy management, but I am a little sceptical about its prospect. Although I have applied to some universities for masters in Europe like Aalto and NHH Norway but a little unsure about the reputation of the universities and the fact that will a masters at this age will make sense.

I know I sound really confused thats because I really am. I am at a stage of my career where I am not happy with what I am doin but not so sure what I woud like do :o. But my research is on and hopefully with advices from experts like you I will reach a conclusion, soon.

Thanks a lot again Jon, I really appreciate your support, its really helpful, and apologies if I am bothering you too much.

Anuj

PS- I am also working on my GMAT lets hope I will make a significant improvement.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 01:08
Expert's post
anujtsingh wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. It has really helped me get a clear picture of where I stand at the moment. But there are few more questions that I would like to ask.

GPA- I knw my GPA seems poor to but in my course it is really hard to score above 60% and I was definitely among top ten students in my class. Also I have consistently scored well in subject like Economics, Management accounts and statistics and its the language subject which brought down my percentage (Cause they are very theoretical with the literature n all). Will this matter
I have also just finished my Master by distance learning where I scored 67% can I use that to show my academic abilities.

Colleges- Would you think the below colleges are realistic targets. I still am doing my research on which country. I will be applying next year so I have time to research, :)

Asia- HKUST, NUS
Australia- AGSM
EU- HEC,IE, IESE

One last thing - As I wrote in my previous message, I am little confused about what career to pick in the future. The field that I am really interested in pursue is sustainable development or energy management, but I am a little sceptical about its prospect. Although I have applied to some universities for masters in Europe like Aalto and NHH Norway but a little unsure about the reputation of the universities and the fact that will a masters at this age will make sense.

I know I sound really confused thats because I really am. I am at a stage of my career where I am not happy with what I am doin but not so sure what I woud like do :o. But my research is on and hopefully with advices from experts like you I will reach a conclusion, soon.

Thanks a lot again Jon, I really appreciate your support, its really helpful, and apologies if I am bothering you too much.

Anuj

PS- I am also working on my GMAT lets hope I will make a significant improvement.

Hey dude,

Okay so about the GPA - now it might be true what you say, but still you are categorized with Indian candidates, and although Indian schools grade MUCH much harder than US ones, they still see enough candidates with 70% and 80% grades to know that it's possible, and although you can write "I was in the top 10 in my class" there's no way to make a 55% sound good.

As for the colleges you chose - they are possible for you but there are a few too many stretches, esp. amongst the European and Asian schools. Meaning you don't have any college where you are strongly competitive, so you could start with this list, but I'd definitely suggest that you add a few more colleges that are not as hard to get into (so for example Essec, Rotterdam, Manchester, City). So do a bit more research, see if you can't get two more schools that are a bit "safer" for you on that list.

And no, you don't sound thaaaaaat confused. But it takes a bit of time and work to figure these things out. Totally normal. :)

If you have anything else, drop a line,
Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 14:45
JonAdmissionado wrote:
anujtsingh wrote:
Hi Jon,

Asia- HKUST, NUS
Australia- AGSM
EU- HEC,IE, IESE

Anuj

Hey dude,

Okay so about the GPA - now it might be true what you say, but still you are categorized with Indian candidates, and although Indian schools grade MUCH much harder than US ones, they still see enough candidates with 70% and 80% grades to know that it's possible, and although you can write "I was in the top 10 in my class" there's no way to make a 55% sound good.

As for the colleges you chose - they are possible for you but there are a few too many stretches, esp. amongst the European and Asian schools. Meaning you don't have any college where you are strongly competitive, so you could start with this list, but I'd definitely suggest that you add a few more colleges that are not as hard to get into (so for example Essec, Rotterdam, Manchester, City). So do a bit more research, see if you can't get two more schools that are a bit "safer" for you on that list.

And no, you don't sound thaaaaaat confused. But it takes a bit of time and work to figure these things out. Totally normal. :)

Best,
JF

Hi Jon,

Sorry for bothering you again.

Well I went to the website call World Education Services, and used there IGPA calculate to calculate my GPA and it came to 3.17. First,is this organisation acceptable, Second, I know its still low but do you think this looks better then my actual percentage, and should I get it officially converted.
I have finalsed Desautel as my main target and I saw student with lower GPA and much lower GMAT then mine getting through, so I think I might have a chance there. What do you suggest

One last question(you missed out on answering that previously)- Is my distance learning degree any useful as I scored much better in that
PS- I would try to make this my last question and not bother you further. :P
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 00:34
Expert's post
anujtsingh wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
anujtsingh wrote:
Hi Jon,

Asia- HKUST, NUS
Australia- AGSM
EU- HEC,IE, IESE

Anuj

Hey dude,

Best,
JF

Hi Jon,

Sorry for bothering you again.

Well I went to the website call World Education Services, and used there IGPA calculate to calculate my GPA and it came to 3.17. First,is this organisation acceptable, Second, I know its still low but do you think this looks better then my actual percentage, and should I get it officially converted.
I have finalsed Desautel as my main target and I saw student with lower GPA and much lower GMAT then mine getting through, so I think I might have a chance there. What do you suggest

One last question(you missed out on answering that previously)- Is my distance learning degree any useful as I scored much better in that
PS- I would try to make this my last question and not bother you further. :P

Hey man,
Don't worry about bothering me! Would you believe that I LIKE answering your questions? ;)

Seriously man, no bother at all.

So first of all WES - sure it's good, but anyhow it won't matter cause the schools want your ORIGINAL Transcript, and that's what they will look at. The WES is good for YOU to know where you stand.

Secondly, Desautel = Good choice!

Thirdly, of course your Masters degree counts, even though it was distance learning, but it still doesn't replace your BA grade which remains your BA grade. So it's good that you have the degree and the knowledge but as far as "making up" for poor grades, it doesn't really work like that, I'm afraid.

Good luck dude, and if you have more questions, I'll still answer them :)

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com