Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.63
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 10:18
Dear Bryant,

I'm currently working on my profile to determine the best strategy for my R1 applications coming fall.

I hope my stats help to hear from you how you'd rank me and see my chances with Top 10 schools I intend to apply to:

- GMAT: 720; IR8, Q49; V41
- 28y at time of application, European national
- Spent a high school year in the United States
- Finished high school in Germany, completed my mandatory military service and then moved to Hong Kong
- The German educational system differs from others, as you can opt to study in the "dual education system" and attend Business School part-time, while also working in a company, which sponsors the studies. Did this for two years and became a certified "Management Assistant in Wholesale and Foreign Trade Management" (German word is "Berufsausbildung"). I remained with my company in Hong Kong for another 2.5years while obtaining my top-up Bachelors degree from a European university that's got an offshore campus in HK.
- I got my Bachelor as a top-up on the basis of my vocational training, while I was working full-time, with a 3.6 GPA, second class upper honors.
- Moved to Mainland China afterwards, where I currently still am. I'm responsible for a European company's operations in China and managing a team of 40 people.

By the time I'll matriculate in 2015 I'll have had 7 - 9 years of work experience. I'm stating it as a range as I'm not sure if the first two years, when I was working 3.5 days and attending school 1.5 days per week, are counted towards the full time work experience by schools.

I consider myself very career-motivated and currently live in a smaller city basically for my work.
This being said, my biggest problem with my resume is that I don't have any extracurriculars or voluntary work experience to state.

I speak three languages fluently and currently try to improve my Mandarin, which is just on a small-talk-level.
One of my goals for the next 12 months is thus finding a tutor to take language lessons. I believe it would disqualify me if I were interviewed by a business school but couldn't speak enough Mandarin after having lived in China for four years.. I have to admit learning languages is one of my bigger weaknesses.

Do you have any suggestions what else I could do to tune my resume and improve it?
Although I'll try to work out my international exposure as my main strength there are several flaws, or question marks on my resume and I'm not sure whether they could have a negative impact on my chances with H/S/Booth/Sloan and the like:

- Completed my undergrad in 18 months, since it was a top-up degree (although issued by a known European university)
- No pedigree names on my CV; neither big schools, nor any McKinseys, Goldmans and banks
- No voluntary work yet, no ECs as my main focus is on work
-- Starting voluntary work this month; one of my extra curricula's is actually running our own bar with two friends but I'm not sure if that's a good essay-topic

Besides improving my Mandarin should I spent time and money on courses that I could mention (e.g. Green Belt Sig Sigma) or try to find some hobbies or dedicate time to some other extracurriculars?

Any advice is well appreciated!!! :-D
Many thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks for all the detail in your profile. I had to chuckle at your seeing languages as a weakness when you speak three fluently and are working on a fourth! In the US, having any additional language at all is unusual. I realize being from Europe it's more common and certainly you will be competing with others having a similar background, but I don't think your lingual abilities will be viewed as a weakness--just saying. I also wouldn't worry about your academics nor would I spend time taking other courses. Your GMAT and academics will be more than enough to demonstrate you are ready for b-school. With 7+ years work experience (they will give you consideration for your work in school but not as full time "statistical credit"), you are actually going to be much more scrutinized for what impact you have made and achievements you have professionally. I love it that you have global experience and also that you lead a team of 40--this will really set you apart in the process. In fact, you are getting dangerously close to qualifying for an EMBA program. The key will be two things: 1) convincing them you are more than just a workaholic and that you get engaged in your community and 2) that you have a compelling short and long term vision which leverages your past. Someone as far along in their career as you are needs to have a clear vision for where you are headed and exactly how you will get there. I have a feeling this will not be a problem for you, and the stories you are likely to tell about your global experience and how it has prepared you for the future will be your key to success in the application process. Let us know if we can help you pull it all together.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews