Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 15:30
First of all, thank you for this service. I wish I had found this board sooner than a few weeks before deciding to take the GMAT.

1) Work: I'm an environmental engineer and project manager at the #1/#2 (depends on the year) engineering consulting firm. I basically either work on or am in charge of teams put together on a project-by-project basis to address regulatory concerns and do design work. There’s also a smattering of due-diligence when our clients pursue acquisitions.

2) GMAT: 750 (q45, v48, IR8, assuming 6.0 AWA)

3) College: Notre Dame, 3.7, BS civil engineering, 2007. Graduate degree: MS analytics, 3.97, 2014 (part time)

4) Extra-curriculars: Unfortunately, my extra-curriculars don't really involve leadership. Initially after college I was caring for a sick parent, and then my time was spent working full-time with part-time graduate school and starting a small business (“hobbyist”-scale, but fun). I do mountaineering and fly fishing. I volunteer with my alumni group regularly, but not that frequently.

5) Credentials: Professional engineer

6) Targets: I would love to go to a Top 10, particularly Haas for the sustainable MBA

7) Timeline: I would like to apply R3 2013-2014 (i.e. now). I realize this is late, but I wanted to make sure I would finish my graduate thesis.

8) Post MBA: entrepreneurial, sustainable industry

I’m most worried about my age (part of the reason I am looking at Round 3), my work experience (not sure what top school really wants here; I haven’t cured cancer or anything), lack of leadership extracurriculars, and my low GMAT quant score. I very much appreciate any insight that you can provide.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 16:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First, GMAT: given your excellent academics, which obviously include some quant work and which demonstrate stellar analytic capabilitiesy, plus your overall high GMAT, you needn't worry about the lower quant score on the GMAT. The adcoms view this one data point in the context of your application, holistically. There’s plenty of evidence that you can do math.

Your age: you don’t mention it specifically, but I would estimate from the undergrad completion that you’re in late 20s or very early 30s – if this is correct, then you’re on the older end of the normal age range, so I don’t consider it a problem. Once you pass the 32-year threshold, you’re getting into the “older applicant” category.

Also don’t worry about lack of community service. Your overall story – including working while attending school, caring for a sick parent, and the small business – comes together in a meaningful way, and it’s also backed up by professional and academic excellence. The adcoms are looking for people who are engaged and involved in their world and community, and volunteering is just one way.

Your work sounds like it will be a strength, but a key factor will be the leadership and impact you can demonstrate -- key for a top MBA program. What the schools look for in your work is (a) an appropriate professional level , (b) growth, (c) understanding and involvement in business directly or indirectly, and (c) especially for top programs, outstanding track record relative to accomplished peers.

I think it makes sense to apply in R3 – partly due to the age, and partly due to the “why not” factor. Your challenge would be to differentiate yourself in your application, but you can do that through your insights, perspective, and reflections on your experiences.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 07:07
Cindy,

Thank you very much for sharing your insights. Your comments will be very helpful as I shape my applications. I appreciate it.