Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:47

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 11:58
Thank you in advance for your time and input!

I just finished retaking the GMAT and improved from 660 to 710 (Q48 V39, IR 8). I have been doing my research for the past few months and could use some feedback on how to best approach the application process in the fall (planning way ahead).

Background: Caucasian male, 24

Education:
Double major in Finance and Economics from Penn State, minor in Business Law. My GPA was 3.72, 3.89 major GPA in Finance.

Experience:
Since I graduated in 2012, I have been working for a large international healthcare equipment and biotech supply company, with a group that specializes in post M&A branding and customer engagement. I lead our weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial reviews, prepare the financial results for our Chief Commercial Officer, and help with other projects such as annual performance forecasts, expense projections, compensation plans, and strategy/customer partnerships.

Extracurriculars/Leadership:
In college, I was a member of the cross country club for all 4 years. I was appointed team captain (of 200 members) my first year, elected treasurer my second and third years, and appointed alumni coordinator my fourth year. As the treasurer, I managed a $45,000 annual budget and was responsible for coordinating all of our payments, event registrations, fundraising, and reimbursements. The club was also awarded 'Club of the Year' out of 100+ student organizations while I was treasurer (one of four executive leaders). As the alumni coordinator, I managed alumni relationships and set up social activities on popular visiting weekends. I also danced in the Penn State Dance Marathon (46 hours of no sitting or sleeping) to raise money for the Hershey Fund for Childhood Cancer.

Since undergrad, I have participated twice in the Bike MS cycling team for my company, riding 150 miles across the state of PA to support the National MS Society. My company raised over $14,000 for charity. Outside work I am a marathon runner (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston so far) and recently ran a 31 mile ultra-marathon.

Volunteer work:
In undergrad, our club raised an average of $26,000 annually for the Hershey Fund. Recently, I have been involved with IceWatch USA, a volunteer effort to monitor local waterway conditions to support climate change research.
I also volunteered for 1 year as the Southeast Regional Representative for the National Intercollegiate Running Club Association, where I was responsible for over 30 existing universities and new university recruitment, as well as managing the race day operations for the Southeast Regional Championship race (15 schools, 300 participants).

Goals:
I want to progress into a management position in a large company after my MBA, ideally with a similar focus on post-M&A strategy or a focus on sustainable management/corporate social responsibility. I intend to follow the sustainability themes or tracks to prepare for this possibility, and also because I believe it will become highly relevant in the future.

Schools: So far I am focusing heavily on Darden, Fuqua, Berkeley, and Anderson. I am considering Kellogg and Booth as well.

Questions:
- In my last two GMAT prep test, I scored 740 and 760. Would it be worth attempting the GMAT a third time to try to improve upon 710? Would that affect scholarship potential?
- Does my higher GPA offset or strengthen my odds despite a median GMAT score at most of my targets?
- Is having 3 years of experience at matriculation too soon to apply?

Thanks again for any input!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 13:15
Expert's post
Hi bjb5228,

Thanks for your post. To answer your questions, if you feel you can improve your GMAT score by 30+ points we do recommend you take the test again. The reason is, in your application your highest GMAT score is self-reported. Admissions teams will focus on your best score, which is why there isn't any downside to taking the exam again. If you decide to take the test again, we have free GMAT advice here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/test-prep-hub/

Most business schools like to see at least 2 years of work experience, so your experience would be sufficient.

I hope the above is of help. If you would like, we also provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Fuqua Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 17:40
Looks like you have a solid candidacy. And based on what hbsguru says about schools having a soft spot for jocks that captaincy for cross country looks nice.

I'm with SB, if you can improve your GMAT by a considerable amount go for it esp since you won't be applying until the fall, so you have some time to focus on gmat and it won't affect the rest of your application. Right now, you're past the means for Darden and Duke. If you can get that sucker up, would put you past the mean for Tuck. Nonetheless, congrats on getting a great score. You will still be very competitive with a 710.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 17:56
politricks wrote:
Looks like you have a solid candidacy. And based on what hbsguru says about schools having a soft spot for jocks that captaincy for cross country looks nice.

I'm with SB, if you can improve your GMAT by a considerable amount go for it esp since you won't be applying until the fall, so you have some time to focus on gmat and it won't affect the rest of your application. Right now, you're past the means for Darden and Duke. If you can get that sucker up, would put you past the mean for Tuck. Nonetheless, congrats on getting a great score. You will still be very competitive with a 710.

Thanks to both of you for the input!