I am starting to consider MBAs for next year but do not really have any idea how strong my profile is:
- Age: 26
- Dual national (one European country and one African country)
- Undergrad: Classe preparatoire + Grande Ecole in France (one of the top 3 Grande Ecole) + 6 months exchange in an Emerging country
- Job: 2 years m&a in a Bulge Bracket (top ranked both years) + 2 years in an African focused PE (based in an African country)
- GMAT: need to train for it, aiming 700+
- Extracurricular: 14 years playing football in a club, organized and supervised 2 trips for c.15 children in a foreign country
- First member in my family to go to university
- (not that I like talking about it but since it had a strong influence on my life and behavior, I will be doing one the essay around this theme) Very close member (think parent) did 4 years of jail time while I was 18-23 yo leaving the other parent alone (and I do not come from a wealthy family), so I had to take care of my family (and still do).
Post-MBA goals: create my own company (will probable start during the first year of the MBA) or emerging markets PE
For now, I plan to apply to Stanford (dream school), HBS and Insead. Do you think I have a chance?
Thanks a lot
Allright starting off things look good. you went to a great school, have excellent international experience, a great job and have experience in a region of the world from which the MBA programs don't see all that many applications. So great start! Two things more you will need: 1. The GMAT (this you know) 2. More volunteer work (my advice is go with some Africa oriented organization which will fit well with your experience and goals).
If you can crack a 700+ and continue doing well in in your workplace, I think you will even have a shot at the top schools you have mentioned, although I would still urge you to add 2-3 more (but within Top 10) in addition.
Other than that, awesome essays and fantastic recommendations go a looong loooong way.
Hope this helps,
If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!