Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 01:25
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile.

A) Demographics- 28 years old Indian Male.

B) Education
1) B.E. Full Time 2003-2007, First Class, top 10% in class, 73% marks (Don't know how to convert this to GPA)
2) Certificate Program in Management 2011-2012, GPA 3.63, Gold Medallist

C) Work Experience
1) Major IT Services Company (Fortune 500) – 2007 to 2011.
Client: P&C Insurance Company in USA.
2007-2010: Application Developer (2 Promotions)
2010-2011: Technology Consultant (7 months in US)
2) Indian IT Major – 2012 to 2013
Business Analyst
Client: One of the biggest P&C Insurance Company in the US
3) BIG4 auditing firm – 2013 (2 months and counting)
Senior Consultant, Management Consulting

D) Certifications
1) CFA Level 1 - CFA Institute
2) Certificate In Project Management - Institute of Project Management Certification
3) INS Certification - Insurance Institute of America

E) Extra Curricular
1) Danced professionally and performed on various stage shows. Even helped organize many shows, managed everything from ticket sales to backstage synchronisation.
2) Associated with a health care NGO. We spread awareness about diseases like AIDS and diabetes among the weaker sections of the society living in urban India.
3) Member of core organising committee for the first ever cultural fest in my organisation in 2010. Over a 1000 people participated in the festival.
4) Travelled extensively across the globe to over 15 countries.
5) Pursuing Basic Certification for Spanish Language.

F) GMAT
1) 2008 – 760 (4.5, Q51, V42) - Expired
2) 2014 – 730 (IR 7, Q48, V42) – AWA Awaited

As I hope to continue in consulting post MBA, my dream schools are two that are well focussed in the area, INSEAD and Kellogg. Please evaluate my profile for the schools.

Also, please suggest whether I should retake the GMAT. I am looking to apply to INSEAD (R2 - Jan ’15 intake) and gave the GMAT with less than a month of preparation, hoping it will give me more time to spend on the essays. Now I don’t know if the score is enough, given my choice of schools and applicant pool (Indian/Male/Engineer).

Thanks in Advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dude, your GMAT is waaaaaaaaay more than enough, and the only thing you really need to there is pat yourself on the back (yes it's EVEN enough for male IT indians ;) )

Sooo overall your pros are:
Excellent GMAT + Good work experience + International experience

And cons:
Indian/Male/mostly tech (thankfully this is changing a bit, and good but not great grades

I think you can aim for Top 20 programs, although I think Top 10 will be stretches for you (but by all means apply to one or two which really appeal to you). I think that both INSEAD and Kellogg would be a bit on the tough side, but yes you should apply. Other than that, what is missing from your profile from what you wrote here is that one unique special thing which makes you sparkle. I'm sure you have something there, but it'll be very important for you to bring whatever that is out to the forefront if you wanna get into these top programs.

Hope this helps,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 23:38
Thanks for the reply Jon, Definitely helps a great deal :-D

Just to confirm, are you looking at my 730 when you say excellent GMAT?

Also, when you say 'top 20', is that top 20 US or top 20 globally?

I am going through a lot of introspection indeed to figure myself out before I tell the adcoms about me. Two things that I am personally very proud of:-

1. International exposure: I have travelled to many countries across all continents and invested time to understand their culture. I have had to cut back on my lifestyle for the sake of affording my travels. There is an ease with which I befriend people, irrespective of their background, and have maintained my friendships with people I have met.
2. I wanted to get into strategy consulting post MBA. Rather than waiting for MBA, I started looking out for opportunities and was able to transition from industry to the world of management consulting. I am part of the practice where we work with governments in emerging markets. Already, I have worked not only with the Indian Government entities, but also for projects involving other countries in Asia and Africa.

As of now, I am not sure whether these aspects considerably enhance my individuality but I’m trying to put my best foot forward.

It would be great if you could mention other schools, which have a focus on strategy consulting, that I should look at. I do not want to focus outside top 20 schools, I would rather continue doing what I’m doing.

Thanks again Jon!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
samorita wrote:
Thanks for the reply Jon, Definitely helps a great deal :-D

I am going through a lot of introspection indeed to figure myself out before I tell the adcoms about me. Two things that I am personally very proud of:-

1. International exposure: I have travelled to many countries across all continents and invested time to understand their culture. I have had to cut back on my lifestyle for the sake of affording my travels. There is an ease with which I befriend people, irrespective of their background, and have maintained my friendships with people I have met.
2. I wanted to get into strategy consulting post MBA. Rather than waiting for MBA, I started looking out for opportunities and was able to transition from industry to the world of management consulting. I am part of the practice where we work with governments in emerging markets. Already, I have worked not only with the Indian Government entities, but also for projects involving other countries in Asia and Africa.

As of now, I am not sure whether these aspects considerably enhance my individuality but I’m trying to put my best foot forward.

It would be great if you could mention other schools, which have a focus on strategy consulting, that I should look at. I do not want to focus outside top 20 schools, I would rather continue doing what I’m doing.

Thanks again Jon!!

Hey dude,
See my answers here:

Yep!! A 730 is higher than all the average of all the bschools in the world. You don't need any better than that.

I'm referring to US schools, and mostly by the US News and world report.

Although this is very nice, traveling for pleasure isn't really thaaaat special. International exposure for work on the other hand is something else.

Excellent!!! The closer you bring yourself to your goals BEFORE your MBA a) the more realistic they will seem b) the easier it will be to hit them after your MBA.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!