Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:54

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile Evaluation Request!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.07
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 05:56
Hi Jon,

here is my profile:

Profile: 28 years old male from Santiago, Chile, single, no kids.

Education: two (separate) Bachellor degrees, one in Journalism/Communications in 2010 (from the best school in Chile, Universidad Católica) and another one (executive) of Business Administration from U. Gabriela Mistral 2013 (mid tier private school in Chile). 3.07 and 3.7 GPA respectively, must mention that I was working during both studies. My thesis in Journalism was about the struggle for an hydroelectric plant in a river near Santiago (Proyecto Alto Maipo), my Business Administration thesis was a Business Plan of a restaurant "breakfast-food based" chain.

GMAT: Haven't taken it yet, I aim for +720 at least

WE: 5 years I was in charge of the operations in Chile of a small sports information and statistics analysis called Real Time Sportscast from Singapore. I had a team of +30 college English speaking local students from all over the Country who had to make livefeed data reports to a call center in Singapore. (I worked for this company while studying Journalism). I also forecasted the results of football matches from Chile both from a statistical and information point of view. I reported to the head of CMs in Singapore and had to be in constant contact with the Singapore call center. Lots of work during weekends and free hours (that is why both my GPA and extracurriculars are rather weak)...

2.5 years as s Product Manager for a small local import FCMG company. I was in charge of the Liquors line of business, which accounted for a 6 MM USD anual revenue for niche international liquors brands, ranging from a 3 USD canned beer brand to a 5,000 USD 100 years old cognac.

I total I was responsible for more than 40 brands. I had great international exposure as I reported to over 10 different export managers from different companies and atttended conferences with my latin american peers from different markets in France (Cognac), Spain (Jerez de la Frontera) and Scotland (Glasgow). Had a 14 sales / trade marketing team reporting to me. I was in charge of whole Marketing and Sales strategy for all brands.

I haven't had any promotions as this is not possible, but I have had significant accomplishments, specially in brand building, for eg taking a sparkling wine brand sales from 50 cases a year to 15.000 in two years and starting four single scottish whisky brands from zero to a 1 MM USD revenue in 2013.

While I was working I also earned my second Bachellors Degree in Business Administration, classes from 19 to 22 PM from monday to friday (8-14 on saturdays) for two years. (Hence the small Comm. service, as you'll see later, during 2011 - 2013)

Community Service / others: Went to community services and voluntary work in rural locations during summer breaks in different chilean rural towns building and reparing houses (mostly during early college years)... I also was part (during school) of CVX (catholic movement).
I have intrests in Photography, hiking (went to hike a 4.000 mts mountain this summer) travels (haven't been able to travel as much as I wanted, apart from work travels I have been in South America, USA, Ecuador and Galápagos), Sports: Skiing, Tenis, Football (scocer), Basketball, etc. I like to practice and also follow sports a lot. I play bass guitar, I was part of a thrash Metal group. Music is a very important part of my life, with tastes ranging from Opera to Death Metal. I also like gardening and painting on my free time.

I have never been active in politics, a couple of months ago I joined the Red Liberal movement, a small center-oriented political group.

Possible letters of recommendation: As said, from the CEO of my company (also Wharton Alumni), Commercial Directors or Export Managers of the brands we represented, wouldn't be too far fetched I am very aware they value my business and marketing capabilities a lot.

Intake: September '15

Career goals (short term): start a career on Management Consulting / Strategy / General Management (in Chile or abroad)
Carrer goals (mid term): start my own imports FCMG company in Chile
Career goals (long term): start an excellence driven high school for low income chilean children in order to tackle poverty, inequality, provide opportunities but also improve the human capital in Chile

Schools targeted:

First tier (assuming a +730 GMAT score): INSEAD, Kellogg, Chicago, Wharton (The owner and CEO of my Company is Alumni and currently he is the head of the Chile Alumni and he could write a rec for me) LBS... Am I too far fetched?
Second tier I target Duke, Ross, Darden and Yale (I believe I would be a strong fit for this last program... I have a deep pasion for history, political science, world politics and global events so maybe there is a chance there?)

Self aware (?) weak points: Low GPA, no significant leadership roles in School / College, small and outdated comm service, only significant WE in a small / unknown company, no WE in a well known multinational company (I am currently looking for a Job either in Sales / Marketing in a blue chip to override this).

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

All the best
Chileanunderdog
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 14:53
Expert's post
ChileanUnderdog wrote:
Hi Jon,

here is my profile:

Profile: 28 years old male from Santiago, Chile, single, no kids.

Education: two (separate) Bachellor degrees, one in Journalism/Communications in 2010 (from the best school in Chile, Universidad Católica) and another one (executive) of Business Administration from U. Gabriela Mistral 2013 (mid tier private school in Chile). 3.07 and 3.7 GPA respectively, must mention that I was working during both studies. My thesis in Journalism was about the struggle for an hydroelectric plant in a river near Santiago (Proyecto Alto Maipo), my Business Administration thesis was a Business Plan of a restaurant "breakfast-food based" chain.

GMAT: Haven't taken it yet, I aim for +720 at least

WE: 5 years I was in charge of the operations in Chile of a small sports information and statistics analysis called Real Time Sportscast from Singapore. I had a team of +30 college English speaking local students from all over the Country who had to make livefeed data reports to a call center in Singapore. (I worked for this company while studying Journalism). I also forecasted the results of football matches from Chile both from a statistical and information point of view. I reported to the head of CMs in Singapore and had to be in constant contact with the Singapore call center. Lots of work during weekends and free hours (that is why both my GPA and extracurriculars are rather weak)...

2.5 years as s Product Manager for a small local import FCMG company. I was in charge of the Liquors line of business, which accounted for a 6 MM USD anual revenue for niche international liquors brands, ranging from a 3 USD canned beer brand to a 5,000 USD 100 years old cognac.

I total I was responsible for more than 40 brands. I had great international exposure as I reported to over 10 different export managers from different companies and atttended conferences with my latin american peers from different markets in France (Cognac), Spain (Jerez de la Frontera) and Scotland (Glasgow). Had a 14 sales / trade marketing team reporting to me. I was in charge of whole Marketing and Sales strategy for all brands.

I haven't had any promotions as this is not possible, but I have had significant accomplishments, specially in brand building, for eg taking a sparkling wine brand sales from 50 cases a year to 15.000 in two years and starting four single scottish whisky brands from zero to a 1 MM USD revenue in 2013.

While I was working I also earned my second Bachellors Degree in Business Administration, classes from 19 to 22 PM from monday to friday (8-14 on saturdays) for two years. (Hence the small Comm. service, as you'll see later, during 2011 - 2013)

Community Service / others: Went to community services and voluntary work in rural locations during summer breaks in different chilean rural towns building and reparing houses (mostly during early college years)... I also was part (during school) of CVX (catholic movement).
I have intrests in Photography, hiking (went to hike a 4.000 mts mountain this summer) travels (haven't been able to travel as much as I wanted, apart from work travels I have been in South America, USA, Ecuador and Galápagos), Sports: Skiing, Tenis, Football (scocer), Basketball, etc. I like to practice and also follow sports a lot. I play bass guitar, I was part of a thrash Metal group. Music is a very important part of my life, with tastes ranging from Opera to Death Metal. I also like gardening and painting on my free time.

I have never been active in politics, a couple of months ago I joined the Red Liberal movement, a small center-oriented political group.

Possible letters of recommendation: As said, from the CEO of my company (also Wharton Alumni), Commercial Directors or Export Managers of the brands we represented, wouldn't be too far fetched I am very aware they value my business and marketing capabilities a lot.

Intake: September '15

Career goals (short term): start a career on Management Consulting / Strategy / General Management (in Chile or abroad)
Carrer goals (mid term): start my own imports FCMG company in Chile
Career goals (long term): start an excellence driven high school for low income chilean children in order to tackle poverty, inequality, provide opportunities but also improve the human capital in Chile

Schools targeted:

First tier (assuming a +730 GMAT score): INSEAD, Kellogg, Chicago, Wharton (The owner and CEO of my Company is Alumni and currently he is the head of the Chile Alumni and he could write a rec for me) LBS... Am I too far fetched?
Second tier I target Duke, Ross, Darden and Yale (I believe I would be a strong fit for this last program... I have a deep pasion for history, political science, world politics and global events so maybe there is a chance there?)

Self aware (?) weak points: Low GPA, no significant leadership roles in School / College, small and outdated comm service, only significant WE in a small / unknown company, no WE in a well known multinational company (I am currently looking for a Job either in Sales / Marketing in a blue chip to override this).

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

All the best
Chileanunderdog

Hello there Chileanunderdog,

Good name you have there dude! It's very honest of you. And I'll say with your school list I even agree a bit :). What I mean is that I think you might be a weeee bit overambitious with that list. As you pointed out, without the GPA, the big company, it's gonna be hard, EVEN if you hit a 730+. So my first suggestion is that from the get go, plan on apply not to Top 10, but to Top25 schools. I mean I don't wanna rain on your parade or nothing, but at the same time, I think it can be very helpful to be realistic from the get-go.

But I'd also say that right now don't worry yet too much about where to apply and so on. First things first - gotta get that GMAT taken and out of the way.

Hope this helps!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.07
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 08:16
thanks for your input Jon!
Last Q: What to you think of a short list of Tuck, Yale, Duke, Kenan, Darden, Anderson, with INSEAD and Wharton as "hail marys"? Is it more realistic?

Thanks again!!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 09:22
Expert's post
ChileanUnderdog wrote:
thanks for your input Jon!
Last Q: What to you think of a short list of Tuck, Yale, Duke, Kenan, Darden, Anderson, with INSEAD and Wharton as "hail marys"? Is it more realistic?

Thanks again!!

Hey good sir,
Well I still think that you should wait on that GMAT first.

I'd say that Tuck and Wharton are the toughest on your list. Then INSEAD and Duke. Yale next. Then Kenan Darden Anderson... (approximately). I still think your list is a biiiit on the ambitious side, but you can also decide to go ambitious (if you get the GMAT which allows you to do that), in which case I'd say apply to as many of these schools (if not all) in R1. That way just in case things don't work out (it being a bit of a tougher strategy), then you can find out a bit earlier and then add a school or three in R2, and not wait a full cycle. So yes be ambitious, but also, since you have the luxury of time, make use of it!

Hope this helps too.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!