Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 03:34
Hi Jon,

I am wondering if you can give me some thoughts on my profile. I will apply in Fall 2014 for MBA program that starts in Fall 2015. Here are my details

Male, Asian, 24 years old and Vietnam nationality

Education:
I finished high school in Vietnam but got my undergraduate in the US
GPA: 3.77 at University of Minnesota Twin cities
Major: Finance and Accounting
GMAT: just took it 2 days ago and got 710 (Q49 and V38). I am not planning on retaking the test

Work Experience:
I graduated in 12/2012 and started working in 01/2013 for a big multinational corporation that makes medical devices in Minnesota. I work in their high profile global project. They are restructuring their finance organization globally, reduce costs and gain efficiency by centralizing and standardizing various finance/accounting processes to a few newly-created central hubs in Minnesota and India.

During the first half of 2013, I worked on transitioning processes at various locations in the US. Around June-July after the transition in the US was done, I got promoted and started working on Canada and various LATAM countries. Currently, I am in the process of relocating to Singapore because they want to put me in the project team that will carry out similar transition for about 10 Asian countries. I expect to work in the Asian transition for about 1.5 years. I have a lot of responsibility and interact with many people around the world during my job. Coordinate both the offshore, onshore and finance teams at the local countries.

Hence, I will have about 2 years of working experience by the time I apply and 3 years when I start the program in Fall 2015

Extra-curricular Activities:
Secretary and Social committee Leader of the Transfer Student Group in college. Not much since graduation

After the MBA, I would like to go into Management Consulting with a specialty in Finance Restructuring/Financial Shared Services/Process Improvement (which is everything I do in my current job).

These are the schools I will apply:
Harvard
Northwestern
MIT
Yale
Booth
University of Michigan
Carlson (University of Minnesota)
University of Toronto (Rotman)
Boston University

I think Harvard and MIT may be out of my range. I am considering Carlson, Rotman and BU my backup schools. Do you think these 3 schools are too competitive to be my backups considering my profile? Would you recommend some lower-ranked schools to be safer because I do want some money from the school to pay fro my MBA too.

Any feedback and advice are highly appreciated!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 23:01
Expert's post
quy555888 wrote:
Hi Jon,

I am wondering if you can give me some thoughts on my profile. I will apply in Fall 2014 for MBA program that starts in Fall 2015. Here are my details

Male, Asian, 24 years old and Vietnam nationality

Education:
I finished high school in Vietnam but got my undergraduate in the US
GPA: 3.77 at University of Minnesota Twin cities
Major: Finance and Accounting
GMAT: just took it 2 days ago and got 710 (Q49 and V38). I am not planning on retaking the test

Work Experience:
I graduated in 12/2012 and started working in 01/2013 for a big multinational corporation that makes medical devices in Minnesota. I work in their high profile global project. They are restructuring their finance organization globally, reduce costs and gain efficiency by centralizing and standardizing various finance/accounting processes to a few newly-created central hubs in Minnesota and India.

During the first half of 2013, I worked on transitioning processes at various locations in the US. Around June-July after the transition in the US was done, I got promoted and started working on Canada and various LATAM countries. Currently, I am in the process of relocating to Singapore because they want to put me in the project team that will carry out similar transition for about 10 Asian countries. I expect to work in the Asian transition for about 1.5 years. I have a lot of responsibility and interact with many people around the world during my job. Coordinate both the offshore, onshore and finance teams at the local countries.

Hence, I will have about 2 years of working experience by the time I apply and 3 years when I start the program in Fall 2015

Extra-curricular Activities:
Secretary and Social committee Leader of the Transfer Student Group in college. Not much since graduation

After the MBA, I would like to go into Management Consulting with a specialty in Finance Restructuring/Financial Shared Services/Process Improvement (which is everything I do in my current job).

These are the schools I will apply:
Harvard
Northwestern
MIT
Yale
Booth
University of Michigan
Carlson (University of Minnesota)
University of Toronto (Rotman)
Boston University

I think Harvard and MIT may be out of my range. I am considering Carlson, Rotman and BU my backup schools. Do you think these 3 schools are too competitive to be my backups considering my profile? Would you recommend some lower-ranked schools to be safer because I do want some money from the school to pay fro my MBA too.

Any feedback and advice are highly appreciated!

Hey there!
So first of all you have a very nice profile. Great GMAT, Great GPA, and what seems to be awesome work experience with great responsibilities. Plus they are moving you internationally. I really don't think it's unreasonable for you to apply For Top 10, although HBS might be quite tough.

Carlson is a great backup school for you, but so are Boston and Toronto. I think if you choose one (or maybe two) of the three it will be enough and then you can add a few more schools from the Top 10-15.

If you are planning on staying in your biotech/medical device industry, you may want to consider schools with strengths in healthcare/biotech. Wharton, Fuqua and Kellogg all have veeeeery strong MBA programs which incorporate a healthcare emphasis. Wharton has a Health Care Management major, with faculty from the Business, Medical and Nursing schools of the University of Pennsylvania. Kellogg has the Health Industry Management (HIM), really one of the top in the US. Fuqua had a great med school and is near Research Triangle Park, a heaven for healthcare job seekers. You also have Sloan,(Biomedical Enterprise Program) Haas (Healthcare certificate) and Columbia. If this is relevant you can also look into double degree programs that incorporate a Healthcare program with an MBA for example an MBA-MHA, or a MBA-MPH.

So those would be some more options for you.

The only other thing I would say is that when you move, make sure you get involved in one serious volunteer thing. It doesn't have to be huge, but it's gotta be there, and it should be interesting enough that you should be able to pull a story out of it, if necessary.

Otherwise, things look great!

Hope this helps,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 11:19
Thanks a lot Jon!

I will seriously consider the healthcare/Biotech concentration, and I think I will add Fuqua to my list for sure because based on my research, Fuqua is very strong in get its graduates into consulting, which is what I want to do after the MBA.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 02:54
Hi,

Am Sushuma N., from India.

I have 4 years of work exp with 2 years as a communication skills consultant, and the recent two years as an assistant manager, production planning at a jewellery firm. I have also been volunteering at an NGO as a content editor parallely for the past 5 months now.

I already did an MBA in operations management to get a career change but from an institute which isnt known, and it did not instill much knowledge regarding entrepreneurship as I wish to start an NGO 10 years down the line. The gap of 10 years is to gain appropriate experience, contacts, and the capital required.

Am planning to give GMAT this month, and want to know which colleges I can get through. I have been getting a score of 680 to 690 in MGMAT exams.

Regards,
Sushuma N.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 01:13
Expert's post
sushuma wrote:
Hi,

Am Sushuma N., from India.

I have 4 years of work exp with 2 years as a communication skills consultant, and the recent two years as an assistant manager, production planning at a jewellery firm. I have also been volunteering at an NGO as a content editor parallely for the past 5 months now.

I already did an MBA in operations management to get a career change but from an institute which isnt known, and it did not instill much knowledge regarding entrepreneurship as I wish to start an NGO 10 years down the line. The gap of 10 years is to gain appropriate experience, contacts, and the capital required.

Am planning to give GMAT this month, and want to know which colleges I can get through. I have been getting a score of 680 to 690 in MGMAT exams.

Regards,
Sushuma N.

Hey Sushama,
Great to hear from you! Do you think you could start your request by opening up a new topic? That way we can keep things clear for everybody.. and then I can get back to, and we can have our exchange.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!