Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You are welcome! Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samarthtaneja wrote:
Hi,

I recently took GMAT (700; Q50, V34, IR 5, waiting on my AWA).

My profile is as follows:

Nationality: Indian
Undergrad: Bachelors in Commerce (Mumbai University) - 82%
Post Grad - Qualified Chartered Accountant

Work Ex:
3.5 years of articleship/internship with the Assurance division of PwC of which 1 year is after graduation (required per the CA curriculum)
3.5 years with PwC Advisory (Transaction Services) after qualification as a CA.

Other activities: Started an NGO with family.

Considering I have a par score, which B-schools should I be targeting for a Mba in finance ?

Please let me know your suggestions.
Thanks

With a 700 and transaction advisory experience, I recommend targeting programs such as UCLA Anderson, Cornell Johnson, and UVA Darden to start. If you are able to raise the score (any interest in taking it again?), you can get a bit more aggressive with your list.

Good luck and let me know if you want to discuss further.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks scott.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
A few reflections and questions on your profile Samarth:
  1. Two things you need to be aware of - 15 years of education (read here) and CA articleship treatment (read here)
  2. Just years of experience doesn't quite do justice to your work. Will be important to understand accomplishments and differentiators to make a better overall assessment. The brand name (PwC) is good but not complete information.
  3. MBA finance is again a means to an end which is not mentioned in your post. What are your post-MBA plans. That too determines your overall candidature so feel free to share. Ditto for NGO related affairs.
  4. Finally, for reasons mentioned here, we do not provide gut-based school suggestions. That said, with the GMAT hurdle, it 'might' be tough to break into the top league - but again, this is a very high level view - your work and other details may change this assessment.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
a) Yes 15 years remains a challenge. Still havent figured out which schools accept or dont accept 15 years of education. I will only consider 1 year of my articleship as full-time work ex as that portion was after my graduation.
b) Well within PwC after qualification, there are some highlights and projects which were challenging. Having worked with both corporates (from India and abroad) and PEs gives me good experience. Also, I have worked on transactions in various industries.
c) Ideally, I am looking for a job with a PE/VC (tough and challenging) or corporate finance roles.
The NGO was started merely to give back to society. The organisation is still very small. But we have done some interesting activities such as adopting a village.
d) I also run a sports arena through an LLP with a friend. Not involved with day to day functioning, but I am involved with decision making and we also raised capital from individuals.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
samarthtaneja wrote:
Hi,

I recently took GMAT (700; Q50, V34, IR 5, waiting on my AWA).

My profile is as follows:

Nationality: Indian
Undergrad: Bachelors in Commerce (Mumbai University) - 82%
Post Grad - Qualified Chartered Accountant

Work Ex:
3.5 years of articleship/internship with the Assurance division of PwC of which 1 year is after graduation (required per the CA curriculum)
3.5 years with PwC Advisory (Transaction Services) after qualification as a CA.

Other activities: Started an NGO with family.

Considering I have a par score, which B-schools should I be targeting for a Mba in finance ?

Please let me know your suggestions.
Thanks

Hi Samarth

Your acads and work-ex both look decent, and you should have about 4.5-5 years of experience by the time you begin your MBA next year, which is fine in terms of quantity. The CA really helps as well. The NGO part may help/be relevant depending on what your role has been within the NGO, and what you have been able to achieve.

While a 700 on the GMAT is decent, it is not outstanding. Will need to understand your key achievements at work and analyze your profile in detail (you can PM if looking for this) to be really able to make relevant suggestions for schools outside India. However, for starters, ISB in India is a good shot in case you are looking at Indian schools.

You might like to read this article as well: MBA for CAs

Originally posted by GyanOne on 04 Jul 2016, 00:13.
Last edited by GyanOne on 04 Jul 2016, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
samarthtaneja wrote:
a) Yes 15 years remains a challenge. Still havent figured out which schools accept or dont accept 15 years of education. I will only consider 1 year of my articleship as full-time work ex as that portion was after my graduation.
b) Well within PwC after qualification, there are some highlights and projects which were challenging. Having worked with both corporates (from India and abroad) and PEs gives me good experience. Also, I have worked on transactions in various industries.
c) Ideally, I am looking for a job with a PE/VC (tough and challenging) or corporate finance roles.
The NGO was started merely to give back to society. The organisation is still very small. But we have done some interesting activities such as adopting a village.
d) I also run a sports arena through an LLP with a friend. Not involved with day to day functioning, but I am involved with decision making and we also raised capital from individuals.

Yes, that is a slightly tedious process. The article I shared should give you a headstart. The goals story will have to be articulated well - PE/VC - you seem to know already is unlikely to fly. Corp Fin too might be tough. So make sure you work on the feasibility aspect of it too. The sports thing sounds good. Now invest time in connecting all the seemingly disparate dots and come up with a coherent overall story.

Cheers,
GMAT Club Bot